Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noise.

Noise.

The AMA has just released a document outlining some advice/perspective for everyone involved with the motorcycle noise issue.

I am finding it to be interesting reading.

http://www.ama-cycle.org/legisltn/soundbook.pdf

I first learned about this at Ed Youngblood's Motohistory web site.

Many of you may know that Ed is a member of the BMW MOA.

Ian
    Last edited by Visian; 05-19-2005 at 05:42 PM.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Thanks for passing that on. Interesting reading on first skim. Something to read later when I have more time to read it.

However something that always cracks me up is the fact that the document just dives into numbers without defining the units and terms used.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

The thing I found most amusing is that they studiously avoided the word "noise"....

Ya gotta feel for these guys. A significant portion of AMA members use loud pipes to save their lives.

And it's really hard to believe how irresponsible the aftermarket is. But... do you want them to cut off ads in your magazine?

Methinks the BMW community has a role to play in the solution equation.

The AMA is to be credited with doing something about the issue. I wish the same could be said for law enforcement.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

loud pipes ruin naps

I just don't know how anyone could justify pissing off all of his or her neighbors just to prove his johnson makes more noise than mine. Loud pipes may very well save lives if they all go deaf and stop riding.

Anyway - I have had three of my neighboors stop by while working in the garage and mention that they didn't even know I had motorcycles and that is the way I like it. The two guys that have bikes in the complex know I have bikes but the innocent bystanders are not aware as I use the stealth mode to move in and out of the garage.

Don't read this as meaning I dislike a bike with a nice throaty sound or even a harley properly muffled. Machines should sound like machines not a mouse farting on a velvet pillow.

Anyone ever run a R1150 motor with open headers? How loud does it get?
    Rich - Denver
    '04 R1150 GS
    '92 K75s

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian
    The thing I found most amusing is that they studiously avoided the word "noise"....

Ya gotta feel for these guys. A significant portion of AMA members use loud pipes to save their lives.

Ian
    I'm going to assume you're being factious when making that statement?

A few years ago I wrote a piece for the online mag I write for on the issue of loud pipes save lives, and one thing I did while researching it was to perform a little experiment whenever I was out and about. Every time I saw a bike coming up behind me, whether on my bike or in my car I made a mental note of when I could first hear it. What I found was that even the loudest bikes were not really noticeable (sound wise) until they were pretty darn close to my tail. On the other hand once in front I could hear them from a much greater distance. Now it‘«÷s a fact that by far the greatest danger for motorcyclists is what‘«÷s IN FRONT not BEHIND, so once past a given danger all the noise in the world is just that, noise. It hasn‘«÷t done a thing to prevent an accident, making people aware of your presence AFTER THE FACT is pointless, its BEFORE the fact that counts and since the vast majority of noise from loud pipes is BEHIND you it hasn‘«÷t done squat ‘«ˇcept piss people off.
    Try the same experiment yourselves, try it in a modern car with stereo on, AC blasting with the windows rolled, hear anything? Prob. not, now add in chatting on a cell phone, a pack of kids, etc, see where I'm going?

You can read my rant here

[rant mode=off]
    RM

USERNAME
    the solution is simple, just point the tail pipe forward, or even to the side, on those loud bikes. then you can hear them sooner, then maybe the loud pipes will actually save a life.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by username
    the solution is simple, just point the tail pipe forward, or even to the side, on those loud bikes. then you can hear them sooner, then maybe the loud pipes will actually save a life.
    good idea, will also slow them down some.

RM

Loud pipes save lives. Uh-huh. Hi-Viz jackets and full-face helmets do better at that. I'll support loud piping as a safety measure when I see some of the one-percenters sporting Arais and Stichs.
    --Joe Merlino - Modified '82 R100RT

USERNAME
    my pants, jacket, and tankbag have reflective piping...

Quote Originally Posted by username
    An even better idea would be to point them back into the ears of the rider. That way they can receive the full benefit of the noise polution they are creating.

I will admit that I rode with the Harley-Davidson "loud pipes save lives" bunch for many years, and all it got me was a constant ringing in my ears and a bunch of pissed off neighbors. I'm happy with the way the OEM pipes sound on my K1200LT, and I'm gonna keep them that way. Of course, now I've gotta keep the stereo cranked up so I can hear it!

Classic 70's rock all the way!

moa84843
    If loud pipes save lives, why should this safety item be restricted to motorcycles? Maybe if all cars and trucks quit using mufflers, we would not have to check our mirrors and look to the side, before a lane change. Just think how great it would be to hear all the vehicles around you, even with the radio tuned up. Why you could almost drive with your eyes closed.

Loud pipes ?
    Last edited by widebmw; 02-26-2008 at 08:15 PM.

John, you've got the right idea!
    Interesting since just this past weekend I got to hear a fellow BMW rider play some Scottish Smallpipes.

Rich, I don't know about the 1150, but a '95 R100 with naught but headers is f**king LOUD! Just had to try it recently while I had the rest of the exhaust off to do some work. You'll all be glad to know that I only ran it for a few seconds.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Didn't I read on here somewhere that loud valves save lives? Must have been an air-head.

MTBATP

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I thought it was loud clutches save lives.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride