• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1200 GS Overheating question

Vtwin996

I just bought a 2011 1200 GS Adventure and have seen several warnings about overheating since it's not watercooled. I'm in N. Texas where shade temps are often 105+.
When sitting in traffic is it safe to rely on the engine temperature guage in the display, or is it possible to overheat the engine even with the temperature guide in the normal range?
Thanks!

If the gauge is still in the normal range, the engine is fine. I commuted in traffic plenty last year in all the hot temps we got and seldom saw my 09 get to 3/4 up the gauge. It will give you a warning triangle when it hits too hot. Then you need to get moving for air flow or pull over and shut it down.

When sitting in traffic is it safe to rely on the engine temperature guage in the display, or is it possible to overheat the engine even with the temperature guide in the normal range?
Thanks!

I got really hot in traffic on a road trip this summer, maxed out the temp gauge but didn't get a warning. The engine was very hot and started to pre-det. After I got moving again the temp dropped and things went back to normal. I did change the oil and filter when I got back in town, for a precaution. I know first hand you can overheat in traffic and we all know that can't be good on our equipment, if I was in temperatures to that degree I would avoid traffic at all costs, I do.

my only advise to add to this is that I'd run a very high quality pure synthetic oil... they don't breakdown in heat, provide better cooling and better wear protection under extreme conditions.. I use the Motul 7100 20W50 in mine which is a pure ester based oil, but any high quality synthetic will do.

how important is it for most folks to..

...ride in stop and go traffic with temps around 100?

seems to me any damage that does occur will not be immediately apparent.
regardless of warning lights or temp indications.

When sitting in traffic is it safe to rely on the engine temperature guage in the display
Yes, the gauge is reliable -- it is not measuring "engine" temp, it is measuring the oil temp. The engine has two oil pumps to ensure sufficient cooling oil flow around the exhaust valves and through the oil cooler, so the oil temp is the right thing to monitor.

, or is it possible to overheat the engine even with the temperature guide in the normal range?
Thanks!
Is it possible for the oil temp to reach a "critical" level -- specifically, the level at which BMW engineers determined is "too hot" and will set off the overheating warning lamp? Yes, in the right conditions (e.g., no air flow, sitting baking) you can get the warning light to go on -- typically a very rare occurance.

The real question you want answered is: If the temp gauge goes high in the "allowed" range, is the bike over heating? Well, that's the oil temp range BMW's engineers said was ok to operate the engine within. You have to decide for yourself whether or not you trust the BMW engineers' several decades of design and real-world experience with oils, heat control and lubrication needs.

FWIW, for driving involving only the occassional run up towards high oil temps, I don't give it a second thought. If I saw those temps regularly, I'd run a synthetic oil for its greater resistance to high temp breakdown. Of course, I'd also be looking for a new job that didn't require sitting in traffic every day roasting *my* tail, along with the bike's! :hungover

Have 136k on my 07 GSA. Living year round in Yuma presents a few months of very high temps. Auig last year was the hottest on record ever. Three weeks or so of 115 every day. July this year also set a heat record.

Ride the bike almost every day, and the highest I ever seen the temp bar is one step below the top. Working night shift so it does cool down going home, at 1-3 am in the morning, down to 96 or so.

I have used 20w50 oil for the last 3 years. Only issue is a cold start problen when temps down in the 20's. (not in Yuma)

Heidi rides her bikes every day in the same temps for the last 20 yrs or so. No heat related issues, except with the fuel pump on the 800. BMW stepped up to that issue.

Ride and enjoy the bike

bob

I too ride an 2011 GSA in North Texas

Never really got about half way for me on the gauge and I just passed 12K and put in Synthetic and (yahoo :dance) it runs cooler! Try synthetic when able.

Never really got about half way for me on the gauge and I just passed 12K and put in Synthetic and (yahoo :dance) it runs cooler! Try synthetic when able.

Wonder why synth would run cooler...? Maybe thinner oil would cool better though.

Back