Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: AMA Posts Ethanol Alert!

I exclusively use ethanol-free gas in my lawn equipment. FOr everything else, I don't care.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    The only reason it is added to fuel is because of the corn bribers in Washington DC, aka lobbyists...
    The only reason it is added to fuel is so that octane is enhanced. Its the only thing now legal, since tetraethyl lead and mtbe are banned.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    The only reason it is added to fuel is so that octane is enhanced. Its the only thing now legal, since tetraethyl lead and mtbe are banned.
    If that were actually true, then how come I was able to purchase AKI 93 ethanol free gas at the station this afternoon?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

The use of ethanol is driven more by politics and money than it is by science and concern for the environment IMHO.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

With the weather these days not suitable to ride where I live and no oil-thread active I thought I give this thread a jump start. WORKED!

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    If that were actually true, then how come I was able to purchase AKI 93 ethanol free gas at the station this afternoon?
    Octane boosting is one of the reasons it is used. It is cheaper than alternative ingredients, so that is another. It also was touted as a "greener" substance than MTBE or Lead. Is it really?
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Ah yes. Follow the money. It is cheaper to use than other means. For them. Not us.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Ethanol can be made from other sources then corn, which is also used to feed cattle and hogs. Wonder why your bacon is more expensive??
    Brazil is pre eminent in ethanol production and we should have followed their lead instead of reinventing the wheel. Like Paul said, just follow the money trail....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

How true. Once any compliance is mandated, the costs thereof get passed on to the final consumer. Some may be surprised! What! I thought it was free! The octane boost that is. The debate remains untouched.

I too put nothing but pure gas in everything other than the cages. Very delicate treading around the topic as, it's political. Also, the change over every spring and autumn to various blends for every different area of the country figures into what kind of gas you get wherever you may travel. Not to mention the science on the topic concerning the actual costs of bringing ethanol online, both to the environment and to water supplies. There are residual costs in the production of ethanol. Not to mention who does the studies and is paid by whom. FWIW, google and ogle.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The use of ethanol is driven more by politics and money than it is by science and concern for the environment IMHO.
    Bingo! We have a winner, that's all folks!

Id doubt the credibility of your station first of all, but perhaps their supplier uses something exotic as suggested in article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiknock_agent

The majors at least are required to blend a certain percentage ethanol.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Id doubt the credibility of your station first of all, but perhaps their supplier uses something exotic as suggested in article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiknock_agent

The majors at least are required to blend a certain percentage ethanol.
    87 and 91 AKI without ethanol is common in Iowa and it's clearly labeled on the pump.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Rally Rat

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    87 and 91 AKI without ethanol is common in Iowa and it's clearly labeled on the pump.
    Same here in Wisconsin.

This 'threat' and the AMA's scare tactics is old news that doesn't appear to have come true. The original post is 7 years old?!

Yet, still we debate.

We need an oil thread, or some final drive failures.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Same here in Wisconsin.

This 'threat' and the AMA's scare tactics is old news that doesn't appear to have come true. The original post is 7 years old?!

Yet, still we debate.

We need an oil thread, or some final drive failures.
    I don't debate fuel or oil. I just follow the specifications. I usually run AKI 87 in my K75s and our G310s because that is what is specified. I did just spend 20 cents a gallon extra to put non-alcohol fuel in the car because I expect to park it for a few months.

But, when I read a statement offered in an authoritative manner which I know to be untrue I shall challenge it every time if it would make a difference to somebody. If it is just fluff I usually ignore it.

Rally Rat

Smile

I don't debate fuel or oil. I just follow the specifications. I usually run AKI 87 in my K75s and our G310s because that is what is specified. I did just spend 20 cents a gallon extra to put non-alcohol fuel in the car because I expect to park it for a few months.

But, when I read a statement offered in an authoritative manner which I know to be untrue I shall challenge it every time if it would make a difference to somebody. If it is just fluff I usually ignore it.