• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AMA Posts Ethanol Alert!

The only reason it is added to fuel is so that octane is enhanced. It’s the only thing now legal, since tetraethyl lead and mtbe are banned.

If that were actually true, then how come I was able to purchase AKI 93 ethanol free gas at the station this afternoon?

The use of ethanol is driven more by politics and money than it is by science and concern for the environment IMHO.

With the weather these days not suitable to ride where I live and no oil-thread active I thought I give this thread a jump start. WORKED! :dance

/Guenther

If that were actually true, then how come I was able to purchase AKI 93 ethanol free gas at the station this afternoon?

Octane boosting is one of the reasons it is used. It is cheaper than alternative ingredients, so that is another. It also was touted as a "greener" substance than MTBE or Lead. Is it really?

Ethanol can be made from other sources then corn, which is also used to feed cattle and hogs. Wonder why your bacon is more expensive??
Brazil is pre eminent in ethanol production and we should have followed their lead instead of reinventing the wheel. Like Paul said, just follow the money trail....

How true. Once any compliance is mandated, the costs thereof get passed on to the final consumer. Some may be surprised! What! I thought it was free! The octane boost that is. The debate remains untouched.

I too put nothing but pure gas in everything other than the cages. Very delicate treading around the topic as, it's political. Also, the change over every spring and autumn to various blends for every different area of the country figures into what kind of gas you get wherever you may travel. Not to mention the science on the topic concerning the actual costs of bringing ethanol online, both to the environment and to water supplies. There are residual costs in the production of ethanol. Not to mention who does the studies and is paid by whom. FWIW, google and ogle.

87 and 91 AKI without ethanol is common in Iowa and it's clearly labeled on the pump.

Same here in Wisconsin.

This 'threat' and the AMA's scare tactics is old news that doesn't appear to have come true. The original post is 7 years old?!

Yet, still we debate.

We need an oil thread, or some final drive failures. :dance

Same here in Wisconsin.

This 'threat' and the AMA's scare tactics is old news that doesn't appear to have come true. The original post is 7 years old?!

Yet, still we debate.

We need an oil thread, or some final drive failures. :dance

I don't debate fuel or oil. I just follow the specifications. I usually run AKI 87 in my K75s and our G310s because that is what is specified. I did just spend 20 cents a gallon extra to put non-alcohol fuel in the car because I expect to park it for a few months.

But, when I read a statement offered in an authoritative manner which I know to be untrue I shall challenge it every time if it would make a difference to somebody. If it is just fluff I usually ignore it.

I don't debate fuel or oil. I just follow the specifications. I usually run AKI 87 in my K75s and our G310s because that is what is specified. I did just spend 20 cents a gallon extra to put non-alcohol fuel in the car because I expect to park it for a few months.

But, when I read a statement offered in an authoritative manner which I know to be untrue I shall challenge it every time if it would make a difference to somebody. If it is just fluff I usually ignore it.

:thumb

Just for the record and for the benefit of riders visiting Canada this summer, Shell Premium 91 is ethanol free as is Chevron 94.

In fact, I'm coining a new tourist slogan..."Come for the gas - stay for the beer". :)

Hope to see you soon!

Just for the record and for the benefit of riders visiting Canada this summer, Shell Premium 91 is ethanol free as is Chevron 94.

Is this always true?
The last two times we were in Ontario none of the Shell 91 pumps were marked as ethanol free.

In fact, I'm coining a new tourist slogan..."Come for the gas - stay for the beer". :)

Good advice. The fuel is more expensive north of the wall, but every time I burn a tank I have significant higher miles per gallon. Not enough to offset the cost but enough to tell me that the swill I get south of the border is an inferior fuel. I usually drink Scotch so cannot comment specifically on the beer, but do note that both Scotland and Canada are in some manner related to the former British Empire. :wave

Back