• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS Tracking

flyrider

Morning Person
My spouse would like to be able to know that I'm safe when I go on all-day (or longer) rides. Been looking at GPS trackers, like SPOT.

Recommendations please...thanks.

My spouse would like to be able to know that I'm safe when I go on all-day (or longer) rides. Been looking at GPS trackers, like SPOT.

Spot works fine for that purpose, I've had one for 3 or 4 years.

Tracking Option

If you both own iPhone 4 or 4S (or even an iPad) you can load the apple app called Find My Friends and track one another. Can be controlled by either and all parties when tracking is allowed. (There might be a time when someone does not need to know what you are doing stopping some place) I use all the time when traveling so family at home knows my iPhone or iPad location. It also worked well when I met up with a fellow rider who started 1500 miles from me this last June. We could track each other right to the mile marker, gas station, rest area, motel, etc.

Spot Tracker is the favored item there. By far. And you can post up your link and we can all follow your travels.
That's what they do. See advrider.
dc

Spot is satellite based isn't it?

I-phone would be Cellular or wi fi if avaliable.

I like this Friend my friends for traveling purposes. Will it work on none Apple phones?

jason

I used the SPOT on my road trip through Canada and it worked beautifully as long as there was a nice, clear view to the south. In east-west valleys and canyons, performance was marginal. But I would definitely recommend it. My wife thought that it was well worth the cost. And since it is satellite based, it doesn't need cell service to work.

SPOT is great

We've used a SPOT for 2 years now and we love it! It's satellite based so no worry about coverage. Just mount it & go! Our family (especially grandkids) enjoy tracking us on the computer and we can send canned messages (everything ok or arrived safely)with the push of a button! In case of trouble, also can send an SOS signal to SPOT and they will send help to your last location (beamed every 10 minutes). Works great for us as we live in the mountains and my husband frequently likes to ride alone!

We've used a SPOT for 2 years now and we love it! It's satellite based so no worry about coverage. Just mount it & go! Our family (especially grandkids) enjoy tracking us on the computer and we can send canned messages (everything ok or arrived safely)with the push of a button! In case of trouble, also can send an SOS signal to SPOT and they will send help to your last location (beamed every 10 minutes). Works great for us as we live in the mountains and my husband frequently likes to ride alone!
Welcome to the forum mrsvan. It's nice to hear positive info. Gary

Spot or anything is not 100% effective. I have seen at least one problem, I think it was a broken leg and the Spot signal did not go thru'. I think someone else rescued him, but he was quite far out in a remote area.
Try advrider for the stories and also the success stories with Spot.
dc

Reading many, many reviews of SPOT, and I'm reluctant to purchase, given the quite large number of negative reviews. If a spouse thought you had a functional tracking device, and yet it failed to work...guess what: The spouse would assume something bad happened, which might be worse than no tracking data at all.

Still researching and soliciting comments from SPOT owners. Thanks!

On my recent big trip I used my iPad and an app called Track My Tour. Tended to stop a lot at McDonalds for free wifi and most motels have it free as well. Was on major hi ways and did not feel I needed Spot in case of an emergency, which never arose, thankfully.

See my blog for an example of the map. Look over at the right for something that says Map and click on it.

Enjoy.

Reading many, many reviews of SPOT, and I'm reluctant to purchase, given the quite large number of negative reviews.

It's not bulletproof and the high end PLB's aren't either, but it works. If you're under a bridge when the 10 minute beacon interval happens, you're not getting out, but for casual tracking, it works just fine in New England and Atlantic Canada. I'm using a first generation device and feel no need to replace it.

My family and friends track me on my trips and have been doing so since I bought it. It does that job well.

Emergency? I have no idea. That isn't why I bought it.

I have had my spot for three plus years. I agree that it is not perfect, but it is a tremendous source of peace-of-mind to both me and my family and at a relatively low price. The device is probably the cheapest farkle on your motorcycle. The annual subscription fee is the only cost that I really considered and is definitely worth the price.

Here is how I use mine. Many times I leave the house for overnight weekend ride not knowing exactly where I might go. I usually tell my wife that I will be heading to someplace I think will be a good ride but on the the way I see an alternate and off I go that way. When I stop for the night I call her on my cell if I can. If not I remove the spot from the bike, make sure I am in a clear area with a good view of the sky and press the "checking in" button. Within 10 minutes my wife and daughter both receive a text messages on their cell phones stating that I am "checking in". On their smart phone (or by viewing my tracking page) from a computer they know exactly where I am for the night.

Heaven forbid that I end up having an accident that is not witnessed by someone and to compound my problems my bike and I end up off the road and out of site. Incapacitated so that I am unable to press the help buttons on my Spot or if I can reach the spot unable to move to an open area so the satellite can see me I still know that the likelihood of being found is good. My wife, friends, family AND the authorities will know exactly where I was 10 or 20 or 30 minutes before I stopped moving. They will know what road I was traveling on and which way I was headed. That will reduce the search area from somewhere in Northern California to a few dozen miles on a specific road.

I have a spot & it works great. Family can check out where I'm at even when there is no cell phone coverage. Emergency call button is a plus.

OK...which version of SPOT do you guys have? I see several models, so getting the right one is primary.

Let me know...thanks.

One other interesting tool for folks with an Android phone is CRADAR.

http://actionxl.com/CRADAR.html

CRADAR is a man-down application that runs on any Android phone.

CRADAR senses when you fall, waits 30-120 seconds (whatever you set it for), and if it doesn't see you move at least 8 feet, sends a text message to one of your contacts telling them you might be hurt. This gives your contact a chance to call you to see if you're ok.

In the text message is a link to Google Maps with your GPS coordinates.

If they don't get an answer, they know exactly where you are, and have the GPS coordinates so other people can find you too.

I run it on my HTC Flyer which is also my GPS device. Not yet crash-tested, but passed the bench-test.

Last edited:
One other interesting tool for folks with an Android phone is CRADAR.

http://actionxl.com/CRADAR.html

I run it on my HTC Flyer which is also my GPS device. Not yet crash-tested, but passed the bench-test.

Are you guys aware how usual it is for us here in the west to have no cell phone service? A lot of these areas have 80% no coverage. There is only coverage in the towns. And where we like to ride, there are no towns. The GS guys even more so. They go out and camp out there and ride for days out there, with no cell phone service.

My husband is travelling in Alaska with two friends. My one demand was that he used Spot since cell service is spotty at best. I get regular email/text updates and can follow his progress as the day gets late and I start worrying. You can check it out here by clicking on the spot link on the right.

www.n2a.co

What he said, been using one 5 or 6 years now.

I have had my spot for three plus years. I agree that it is not perfect, but it is a tremendous source of peace-of-mind to both me and my family and at a relatively low price. The device is probably the cheapest farkle on your motorcycle. The annual subscription fee is the only cost that I really considered and is definitely worth the price.

Here is how I use mine. Many times I leave the house for overnight weekend ride not knowing exactly where I might go. I usually tell my wife that I will be heading to someplace I think will be a good ride but on the the way I see an alternate and off I go that way. When I stop for the night I call her on my cell if I can. If not I remove the spot from the bike, make sure I am in a clear area with a good view of the sky and press the "checking in" button. Within 10 minutes my wife and daughter both receive a text messages on their cell phones stating that I am "checking in". On their smart phone (or by viewing my tracking page) from a computer they know exactly where I am for the night.

Heaven forbid that I end up having an accident that is not witnessed by someone and to compound my problems my bike and I end up off the road and out of site. Incapacitated so that I am unable to press the help buttons on my Spot or if I can reach the spot unable to move to an open area so the satellite can see me I still know that the likelihood of being found is good. My wife, friends, family AND the authorities will know exactly where I was 10 or 20 or 30 minutes before I stopped moving. They will know what road I was traveling on and which way I was headed. That will reduce the search area from somewhere in Northern California to a few dozen miles on a specific road.

Back