• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Riding to the West side

E

Earache

Saddled up with my bud Neil and headed west earlier this month. My friend from Ireland had planned to go but tore his rotator cuff and was out at the last minute. Nothing like picking the hottest possible date to go on a trip.

Anyway, I left Indy at 0300 to beat the heat a bit and met up with Neil in St. Louis (he's from Chicago). made it as far as Lawrence, Kansas and the 115F heat was wearing on us. So we packed it in at about 2:00 PM and fell into a hotel there.

Nice enough place, but a bit weird...
IMG_9619.jpg

IMG_9620.jpg

IMG_9616-1.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

Very small town and the town center was 2 blocks away. On the way in, we smelled BBQ - so off we went in search of the source...
This was it, a small bar downtown....
IMG_9638.jpg

IMG_9636.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg

Dead animal heads on the wall, so it's gotta be good...
IMG_9626.jpg

Ice cold Stella for starters....
IMG_9624.jpg

And then the chow arrives. Half rack for me...
IMG_9630.jpg

And the Cholesterol Platter for Neil....
IMG_9629.jpg

At 5'6" and 120 lbs., Neil can eat more than anyone I know. Little guy killed it...
IMG_9634.jpg

IMG_9637.jpg

We're fat and happy with bellies full of food and beer, so we head back to the hotel. Downtown Lawrence....
IMG_9640.jpg

IMG_9641.jpg

I said the hotel was weird. We parked under the canopy at the main entrance, and then had to walk over this railroad track bridge to the building...
IMG_9642.jpg

IMG_9644.jpg

Odd layout for a hotel.

Up at 0300 again the next day in an effort to beat the heat. It was 87F at 3:00 AM! This is gonna suck.
Packing up the sleds...
IMG_9646.jpg

IMG_9648.jpg

We humped across Kansas and eastern Colorado as fast as we could.
650 miles and 10 hours later, we're in Idaho Springs, Colorado for lunch.
Pizza at BeauJo's....
IMG_9649.jpg

IMG_9651-1.jpg

IMG_9652-1.jpg

I had like 2 pieces and Neil killed the rest. Amazing.

After lunch we rode the last 60 miles or so to our hotel in Vail...
IMG_9668.jpg

IMG_9666.jpg

Nice place, but I felt kinda weird walking in there with all of my riding gear on.

We we firmly ensconced in suite on the ground floor, even got a small patio room upgrade. Sweet!
IMG_9656.jpg

IMG_9657.jpg

IMG_9658.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9660.jpg

IMG_9661.jpg

Okay, we've been here for 10 minutes, time to find beer and some food for Neil. Off we go and fall into the hotel bar - didn't get too far...
IMG_9671.jpg

IMG_9670.jpg

IMG_9674.jpg

Beers were good but menu looked kinda iffy, so off we wander into the village...
IMG_9675.jpg

and into a slope-side outdoor cafe. Tempo was about 75F - which felt freakin' cold to us - with a light breeze. Great place to sit and get toasted on locally brews...
IMG_9676.jpg

IMG_9678.jpg

IMG_9679.jpg

IMG_9681.jpg

IMG_9682.jpg

IMG_9684.jpg

And into another sidewalk cafe....
IMG_9692.jpg

This one apparently serves dogs at the bar, sounds good to us...
IMG_9691.jpg

Neil is happy with a small plate of nachos. Just a light snack since he had 3/4 of a pizza 3 hours ago....
IMG_9690.jpg

We're drunk and full and tired from the day's ride. But it's only like 3:30 PM local time, so we walk around looking at **** for a couple of hours...
IMG_9696.jpg

IMG_9698.jpg

IMG_9703.jpg

IMG_9707.jpg

Crossed the creek that divides the resorts from the private homes on the other side. These guys make slightly more money than I do each year...
IMG_9710.jpg

IMG_9716.jpg

IMG_9711.jpg

IMG_9717.jpg

IMG_9723.jpg

Looking back towards town across the stream...
IMG_9725.jpg

IMG_9726.jpg

IMG_9727.jpg

Enough excitement for one day. It's almost dark and we're off to bed.

Our resort only had valet parking. I tossed the guys my keys to the bike and asked them to be gentle with it. They got a laugh outta that and then allowed us to park right behind their valet station so they could watch the bikes for us.
Rock star parking!
IMG_9731.jpg

IMG_9733.jpg

IMG_9734.jpg

A brief ride up the road and we stop at Minturn, CO for fuel and breakfast...
IMG_9735.jpg

Nuthin' but the finest....
IMG_9736.jpg

IMG_9737.jpg

Back