• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT Top Case Luggage Rack

B

bkwags

Anyone have an alternative to the Wonderlich Top Case Luggage Rack - Part Number: 8200300-302. The wife and I will be taking our annual summer tour around Lake Mich and every time we go it seems like we need more "stuff". Or maybe we just have accumulated more "stuff" over the years. In either case, it would be nice to add something light to the top of the case. But $200 for that seems a bit over the top. :violin

Just wondering what other folks do to pile it higher. Pics would be appreciated.

Anyone have an alternative to the Wonderlich Top Case Luggage Rack - Part Number: 8200300-302. The wife and I will be taking our annual summer tour around Lake Mich and every time we go it seems like we need more "stuff". Or maybe we just have accumulated more "stuff" over the years. In either case, it would be nice to add something light to the top of the case. But $200 for that seems a bit over the top. :violin

Just wondering what other folks do to pile it higher. Pics would be appreciated.

The E-81 luggage rack on top of my BMW 28L trunk was purchased through TwistedThrottle.com for $67.50. I have included the link below:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/107

It is a GIVI and can also be mounted on the 48L BMW trunk (I have one mounted on both of mine).

Once you decide on a safe spot to drill the four holes (be careful ÔÇô look inside where you can drill thru and still access the bolts for the washers/nuts), you will need to be creative in finding something to act as a sleeve to slip over the rear mounting bolts (rubber tubing?!), both to cover them cosmetically (exposed threads), and to stabilize/weatherproof the rack atop the trunk.

I purchased longer rear bolts at the hardware store to complete the install, but though IÔÇÖm not the handiest guy in the world, it really wasnÔÇÖt rocket science to securely mount them. I mounted it opposite of the photo in the Twisted Throttle pic ÔÇô high end to the rear, but up to you.

This rack is very handy, not only for long trips or for securing excess riding apparel when it gets too hot, but useful for everyday events such as strapping down a couple of collapsible chairs for watching the fireworks or an air show. :thumb

I'm happy with the BMR rack, which is designed specifically for that model of topcase. It has lots of attachment points. I didn't want a tubular rack, but would rather have a shelf...

Pack lighter...I am not being funny! space/stuff rule: The more space you make, the more junk you will fill it with. It is a vicious cycle with no way out...

IÔÇÖve been looking for a top case rack also. WeÔÇÖd like to use it for the lightweight bulky stuff when weÔÇÖre 2 up and camping. However, when solo, which is 75% of the time; I donÔÇÖt need it, and would not mount it.

I looked at the Wonderlich rack as well, but there were several things about it I didnÔÇÖt like:
a. The price is out of line
b. The width is right, but at 16" itÔÇÖs too short. Most bags IÔÇÖve been looking at are
10-12 in wide and 20-24 in long.
c. The front mounting holes need to be drilled at an angle, I think they would be hard to seal when the rack is removed.

My solution was to modify a Harley top case rack, which is 14 X 20 by cutting it down so the dimensions are 10 ?¢ X 20 which seems to fit the 49L top case better. It was also necessary to reposition the mounting legs and extend them slightly to clear the top of the backrest pad. But the mounting holes will be square to the top and easy to seal with a truss head screw and rubber washer.

If you can cut and weld metal, itÔÇÖs a fun, easy project. I still have to paint it, but in the end, IÔÇÖll have about $40 and 3hours work into it, and it will be exactly what I wanted.

Bill

Attachments

• Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 93
Pack lighter...I am not being funny! space/stuff rule: The more space you make, the more junk you will fill it with. It is a vicious cycle with no way out...

I agree, would you mind telling my wife. I am not going there, since she sits right behind me.

Thanks
BKWags

Back