• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2013 Rally Including current updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogs at Rally site

My wife and I and our dog will be on the bike about 7 weeks when we arrive at the rally. We will be camping and I wanted to know about a/c areas for pets. Will they be allowed in ANY buildings with a/c to cool off if it is hot? I had a friend not stay on site in OR at the last rally because of lack of cooling areas.

Greg -- Barley and I were at the RA Rally in Chippewa Falls where the temp and humuggity were quite close to miserable. We found no shortage of ways to keep cool. We also went to Sedalia where daytime temps hit 108F. Chuck Manley quickly identified Barley as a trained attack dog and assigned us to security duty in air conditioned buildings. So there are always ways.

My experience has been that well-behaved dogs leashed to attentive owners who are considerate of others are not a problem. Barley, a registered service dog, growled a warning to another service dog at Sedalia who was showing a bit too much interest in his nether regions. The other human and I both recognized the situation and took our dogs in different directions. Problem defused before it got off the ground. And that's how it should be - we, the owners, are responsible and if there is an incident we need to be ready to leave.

Look us up at Salem...unless your dog is a humper. :)

TravelsWithBarley.com

Attachments

• Doggles.jpg
    Doggles.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 242
My wife and I and our dog will be on the bike about 7 weeks when we arrive at the rally. We will be camping and I wanted to know about a/c areas for pets. Will they be allowed in ANY buildings with a/c to cool off if it is hot? I had a friend not stay on site in OR at the last rally because of lack of cooling areas.

That was eastern Oregon , in western oregon temps should be about 70--85 which is not HOT.See you in Salem.

Got my Rally registration stuff in the mail. We also signed up for a wine tour - Salem. I'm surprised not that many people have signed up for one of the wine tours. If your going to be there for the whole thing, as we are, a little time away sounds like just the ticket. Can someone explain why the tours have not, at least so far, been popular?

Got my Rally registration stuff in the mail. We also signed up for a wine tour - Salem. I'm surprised not that many people have signed up for one of the wine tours. If your going to be there for the whole thing, as we are, a little time away sounds like just the ticket. Can someone explain why the tours have not, at least so far, been popular?

Folks probably have a variety of reasons. For me, I've always wanted to explore the PNW and intend to get a few rides in after the 5400 circuitous miles we'll ride to get there.

It is strange....but I'll predict;

they will get good attendance! Especially if your on site from Monday or Tuesday; the 1st wine tour is Wednesday morning'ish departure.
You can be having a great event before on-site registration even opens! It could be the draw of the coastline nearby for a fish & chip lunch ride;
but as mentioned... a variety of reasons. The hours of these tours are very attractive this rally; but on Thursday through Saturday,
I take in the rally schedule along with area dinner rides. So now I gotta choose between Club training, rider education or wine & lunch tour,
....uh, where's that coach leave from!

"travel'n" John

Could be that it's not widely known. I am going to be on site by Monday (volunteered for set-up and registration) but wouldn't mind going on a wine tour. I'll have to check back through all the posts on this thread and try to find out some additional information....(and get signed up...:)!Walt E. :blah

Other things to do during the Rally.

NW Vintage Car & Motorcycle Museum Events
JULY; Museum Open Weekends. Call Doug Nelson at 503-399-0647, buickdoug@yahoo.com, w questions.
Located in conjunction w/ Antique Powerland Museum in Brooks, OR, I-5 exit 263, 8 miles north of Salem.

Hull Oaks Lumber/Steam Powered Sawmill
Displays apparently held Tuesdays and Thursdays (Call to confirm).
Physical Address: 23837 Dawson Rd, Monroe, OR 97456
Main Office Phone: 541-424-3112
History: http://www.hulloakes.com/history.html

Hope these are of interest.
Steve Miller
BMWRO
Prineville

Alternate Oregon routes; both Paved and GS

Hi All,

In anticipation of the MOA visitors, I have plotted some alternative routes through Oregon.

One is an alternate East-West paved route utilizing our rural routes which have little but local traffic on them. This route will be a great alternate to I-84, and Hwys 26 and 20. ....keep a camera close and expect a cattle drive.

Another I plotted is abt 50% off road, roughly paralleling Hwy 26. This route follows some of the Oregon BDR, back country discovery, route, and is rarely tougher than 'jeep road' level.

Look through these routes and if you have questions, by all means contact me. (Look for MOA in the route title. Some of the others posted in this list we do as our 'first Saturday' rides.)

http://ridewithgps.com/users/6704/routes

Steve Miller
BMWRO
Prineville, OR
541-977-6787

Rally route housing; 'One day out.'

If you are scheduling your stops en route to the MOA rally, here are a few suggestions which are all about one day ride from Salem. Obviously camping locations abound, but these are for the 'more comfort' oriented.....

Near Prairie City, OR., (easily the most beautiful town in Oregon), are the Pine Shadows Vacation Cabins. Beautifully updated and decorated historical cabins in a park-like setting on the upper John Day River. Make your arrangements thru; http://pineshadowscabins.com and 541-820-3736. If you stop here, say Hi to Terry and Joyce, they are terrific! Pine Shadows cabins are about 6 miles off Hwy 26 and maybe 1/4 mile of easy gravel.

The Prairie City Hotel is a historical hotel and should be good. I've not been in it, but Prairie City has a few good restaurants and historical saloons, too.

Ritter Hot Springs. Ritter is 'rustic cool'. The frame-built hotel and pool were built long ago and the creaky floors attest to it! The last time I 'tubbed' here, (long ago), the individual tubs were 'rustic concrete' but warm and private. There is/was no restaurant here and it is a long way to one, but a stay at Ritter would be memorable and could be easily incorporated into a travel plan. It is 10 miles(?) off Hwy 395 at MP 77 (may all be gravel), north of Mt Vernon/John Day. Directions: http://ritterhotsprings.com/directions.html

Any of these options would allow you to stay the night, then breakfast in Prairie City, John Day, or Mt Vernon, and still leave a comfortable ride day on into Salem, maybe crossing the Cascades via the iconic MacKenzie Pass!

Any questions contact your BMWRO friends, whom you can find on Facebook at 'BMWRO'.
Or, call me. Ha! See you in Salem.
Steve Miller
BMWRO
Prineville, OR
541-977-6787
shuntermiller@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back