• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT Headlight Bulb Replacement

bikerboy108

bikerboy108
Read all the posts on replacing the front headlight bulbs on the 1200 RT and thought it was another way BMW was getting back at us!!:)

Ok here is my 2 cents with the help of my buddy Bernie... Read all these posts and can't figure how this could be done without at least pulling off the trim panels ( 5 screws 5 min.) but maybe with this method you can... Got a 1 foot length of clear plastic tubing 1/2 inch id...It slips over the two tabs at the back of the bulb and supports the bulb nicely as yo move it into posistion. ( of course with TAB up) I then took my long 12" thin screwdriver I held the bulb in place, pulled off the tubing pulled down the two clips with my stubby finger s . Connected the back plug checked the lites and then screwed on the plastic cover...

I found the trick, for me, at least. Bike on center stand. Handle bar to the side - can't remember which side, but one side affords better clearance to get the hand in their and remover the access cover. Remove terminal, unhook bulb, then place new bulb in position as best as possible - from the FRONT of the bike kneeling down, and coming from underneath the fairing. Then, I got back up behind the bars and clipped the bulb in. I couldn't get it perfectly straight, but when I pushed the terminal on, in popped in straight and true. Button up and the job is done. I talked to the dealer, and, with a bit of experience, they said the job was estimated to be 12 minutes, by the book. Next time, it should only take me 20 minutes, not a couple of hours of frustration.

the 12 " 1/2" id tubing takes all the angst out ofit just place it on the end put in posistion and clip it in done 2 min.

Tubing is great solution, although maybe only required for one of the bulbs. If you're right-handed, the right low beam (brake side). This I saved 'til last last time, so perhaps next time will use tubing on the others.

My method in go down on one knee and reach up to the light from below. XXXL paws and it's almost a breeze. :banghead

I just replaced both bulbs on a friend's RT while on a long tour. About 2 days apart. Took minutes to do.

I stand facing the front of the bike on whatever side I'm working on. Handle bar is turned to the side being replaced. Clutch side is easier to replace for me. I look into the front of the lens while holding the bulb to make sure the new bulb is properly aligned. Next, while holding the blub in place drop the bail and lock by moving the wire from outside to inside. Do the same with the other side of the bail. Connect the two wire plug. Test light. If good, replace the dust cover.

The trick is knowing how the bail locks and unlocks. That's 80% of the battle.

tsp
Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

I have only had to replace the bulb once. I tried in vain to do it by working from inside the fairing, but my short stubby fingers were not long enough. I was able to get one of my riding buddies who has hands with surgeon like dexterity to replace it for me. He reached up under the fairing and was able to manouver his hand around to get everything locked properly back in place. My cost for this was to treat him to a barbecue dinner. Not a bad deal.:thumb

Just before Americade, I put HID's in mt RT. I took the plastic off to give mire room to run wires and place the modules. When one of the lights failed before I got to Lake George, I put my H7's back in on under an overpass in the rain. Only took a few minutes to remove the HID's and swap the bulbs back.

Back