• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Kevlar Jeans

+1 what he said. Only drawback is they get HOT if you hike in them in really warm weather.

DITTO on the heat.
I went to Bloomfield last year from work so I had kevlar pants on.
I was roasting, amazing how much wind the fairing blocks even with the windshield down and 100+ degrees out.

They are on the heavy side too so tighten the belt a bit more.

{snip}...the kevlar lining will only protect you from road rash. You'll need some serious knee/shin/hip armor for impact protection...{snip}

:nod Absolutely! I think the odds of landing on your precisely on your butt and sliding down the road behind a truck are fairly slim. IMHO, impact protection for your ankles, knees, hips, back, elbows, shoulders and head should be considered along with road-rash protection.

$0.02,

DITTO on the heat.
I went to Bloomfield last year from work so I had kevlar pants on.
I was roasting, amazing how much wind the fairing blocks even with the windshield down and 100+ degrees out.

They are on the heavy side too so tighten the belt a bit more.

after reading this, you will understand why you cannot cool at that temperature even in the wind.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

p.s. I found this in another thread in this forum.

Denim Sliders 4.0 - wore them to and from the Sedalia Rally - very nice. :thumb

As I mentioned, no problems with wearing the Sliders in triple digits, both there and back.

Just ordered a second set - a pair of tan-colored cargo pants. The fact that they do not line every single square inch with Kevlar makes them more comfortable and managable than the Draggin' Jeans, IMHO. :thumb

Like I tell all my BRC students - "Wear the skin you willing to lose."

+1 on the Sliders. My sons and I all wear them-- both the jeans and the khaki cargo pants. None of us use the armor, but it's easy to add. These are the only riding pants I can get my 'armor looks stupid, Dad'- college-age kids to wear--they just look like jeans.

Very comfortable for riding AND walking around, and do OK in hot weather; they're great in cold. They run very large so beware the sizing. Wore a pair on a 2500-mile loop a few weeks ago in everything from 45 to 100 degree weather, rain and shine, and never got tired of them.

To add to the confusion:

Aerostich has "Protekt Jeans" that look like serious pants. Also, they have "Arborwear Gusseted Canvas Pants" and "Protekt Khakis". All have TF3 knee pads available and double fabric at the knees, but no Kevlar. Prices are $97, $77 and $97 respectively, plus pads for $27.

I don't have experience with any of them. I ride in Draggin Jeans with Roadcrafter knee pads. :thumb

pete
'11 R12RT

I work for a company who makes apparel for military and police, etc. called 5.11 Tactical. I've only been there about 6 months, but their pants are great - very comfortable and well made. I've not ridden with them, but they're thick canvas and have pockets for kneepads.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Pants/Tactical-Pants/511-Tactical-Pants-Mens-Cotton.html

Check out the video at the bottom of the screen.

I wore 5.11 Tacs on duty as an LEO, and bought several pair (Kakhi and Navy Blue) from General Jackson's (Fort Bragg, NC) while visiting my son, and use them both for MSF instructing and general riding.

HOWEVER, as rugged and practical as they are (and I really like them!), they are still just heavy-duty cotton, and will vaporize in a significant slide.

Not Kevlar-reinforced. :deal

Arborwear Gusseted Canvas Pants

To add to the confusion:

Aerostich has "Protekt Jeans" that look like serious pants. Also, they have "Arborwear Gusseted Canvas Pants" and "Protekt Khakis". All have TF3 knee pads available and double fabric at the knees, but no Kevlar. Prices are $97, $77 and $97 respectively, plus pads for $27.

pete
'11 R12RT

I have been using the Arborwear Canvas Pants for a lot of hot-weather riding and for short, local runs, for several years. I find that the TF3 knee pads (and the shoulder and elbow pads on the Roadcrafter) to be as important as the Kevlar abrasion materials. In most of my serious wrecks, I found the impact protection of my knees and ankles to be more important than skidding along the pavement. My right knee is still operating thanks to a TF3 pad in my Roadcrafter in '91!

Back