• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 chain tensioner failure

damon84

Greetings from Colorado,

Picked up a new 1600 GT 3 weeks ago just before big ride to Canada. Bad idea. Rode the bike home and thought the engine was making expensive noises. Was told by the dealership to bring it in after my trip. Noise kept getting louder and louder. Long story short I took it back to the dealer as I didn't trust that noise for 3000 miles of duty. Dealership pulled the bike apart and found a tensioner that wouldn't hold pressure and as a result the chain also was found to be stretched. Replaced both. Now at this time I'm not feeling to good about the bike and was wishing I had my 1200RT back. Picked up the bike today and same noise same conditions after 150 miles back home. Now I know this bike makes different noises then a 1200RT but this noise can't be normal. IT is the most noticeable at 2500 rpm with light load in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Sounds like chain slap or a valve short on oil. Has anyone out there had this same experience. I want to love this bike but I'm starting to lose that loving feeling. Also I can't seem to get use to the snap of the drive train. A sort of heavy clunk when torque is applied to the drive train after coasting or letting off the throttle. So I guess the question is are these normal noises or should I be worried. Dealership seems willing to work with me to get it resolved but has been a 3 week bummer so far. 700 miles on the bike and ALL of them to the dealer for service.

I hate to even bring this up, but does Colorado have any kind of Lemon Law? Two more times and you should be looking at a new ride. Either way... Good luck man.

Don't know about the lemon law but the dealership seemed open to a solution. I told them I would like a new 1600GT, a new R1200RT or my old 2010 R1200RT. They said if thats what I wanted they would put things in motion. Just a pain because I said I want to love this bike but it won't let me. I see some other chit chat about the clunky trans and my 10 1200RT is a little clunky but nearly as the 1600. My 65 R60 shifts as smoothly as the 1600. Anyway thanks for the well wishes and we will see what happens.

Greetings from Colorado,

Now I know this bike makes different noises then a 1200RT but this noise can't be normal. IT is the most noticeable at 2500 rpm with light load in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Sounds like chain slap or a valve short on oil. Has anyone out there had this same experience.

Many K1600 owners have reported the same "clattering" noises. Not sure if it should be considered normal as most dealers would have you believe.

I've only test rode a GTL and I don't remember any of the issues your describing. IMHOP you have had a pretty major repair and with a stretched chain I'm wondering if you might have had some valve train damage. These are machines and things can go wrong. If the dealer is willing to work with you I would go for a new bike, or at least put those wheels in motion for a new one. In the meantime ride the heck out of it and see what happens.

BMW dealer is starting the wheels for a new bike. The service Dept. is in agreement with me that it is not a normal sound. BMW USA corporate also contacted me as well after filling out the online customer satisfaction survey so being handled from both ends. BMW corporate rep was receptive to the new bike idea so I am hoping for a happy outcome. I would think BMW might want that bike back anyway to tear apart and see what really happened inside. You know a little R&D.

BMW dealer is starting the wheels for a new bike. The service Dept. is in agreement with me that it is not a normal sound. BMW USA corporate also contacted me as well after filling out the online customer satisfaction survey so being handled from both ends. BMW corporate rep was receptive to the new bike idea so I am hoping for a happy outcome. I would think BMW might want that bike back anyway to tear apart and see what really happened inside. You know a little R&D.

Good to hear.

Damon84: What a small world. I took my GTL in for the same engine "rattling" noise and my dealer told me that BMW authorized replacement of the cam chain adjuster based on the results of a similar complaint in Colorado. I can only assume they were referring to your situation. I left my GTL at the delaership for 3 weeks while I was out of town and when I got it back the noise was still there. The only thing that changed was the rpm where the noise really came on strong had moved up to 2800 rpm from 2600 rpm. The dealership is an hour plus from my house so I am going to go back this Saturday and discuss this matter with them. I would be interested to see what your final outcome is with your bike as I may pursue the same with mine. Do you hear this noise when the bike is cold? I do not which kind of surprises me. All I know is this rattling noise drives me nuts and way overshadows the driveline clunk in annoyance. Thanks for help.

Rick

It was a little quieter when I started this am. I went for one last ride before calling the Dealer. It is really annoying to say the least. What ever it is slapping around can't be good. I called the dealer this am and that are working to get me a new bike. I did ride the GTL loaner and there was a hint of that chatter in the loaner but no where near what my bike is making. I'm feeling like the tensioner(if that is indeed the problem) is quieter when the oil is thicker and the pressure is highest.(IE cold) However when the oil warms it may not be getting enough pressure to activate the tensioner. It might be an interesting experiment to use a thicker oil and see if that helps. But like you I'm just sorta over it. I love the bike but all the miles back and forth to the dealer(150 miles for me each way) is making me nuts. Another weird thing was I changed the oil myself before i thought I was taking it to Canada and wouldn't be around for the 600 mile service. When I went to refill after the oil and filter change it would hold just an ounce or two over four quarts not the 4.87 quarts it's designed to hold. Maybe a reservoir in the oil tank is blocked I don't know. It;s just weird I tell ya. Will keep you posted. So far dealership is behind me and getting a new bike. Hopefully BMW corporate won't intervene and spoil the objective.
We shall see we shall see. By the way what state are you in?

Duhh No I did not. Forgot what kind of oil system it had. So it's like my old Porsche. Engine oil and tank oil? Thanks for the tip.

I live just outside Milwaukee, WI in Muskego. I am not sure why, but my engine is stone quiet when cold, but once hot all bets are off. I also notice that the driveline clack or clunk follows suit. No clack when cold, major clack when hot. I am glad to hear your dealer is working with you on this matter and hope you have good luck getting it all resolved. I am going to be be in Denver for three weeks starting this coming Monday so perhaps we can meet up and you can let me know how it all turns out. Thanks, Rick

Hey Rick I sent you a private last time on did you get it?
OK so here is the latest. Bob the GM at BMW of Denver was great and actually got me a new bike. Lots of headaches for him and myself with little to no help from BMW NA. I picked up the new bike yesterday and rode it 150 miles home. Rick same noises. Same clickity clack noise at 1800-2500 rpms dying off at 3000. Still there at 3000 but sounds less severe as the harmonics of high RPMS mask the sound. I can't even bring myself to contact Bob. I think he might kill himself. I just don't know what to think. I feel especially bad as he is having a hard time getting bikes from BMW and he would rather have sold this new GT to somebody else I'm sure. Anyway I saw you being pretty bashed
by a few less understanding people on a different forum. Ouch tough crowd. I guess you and I have to decide if we can live with that noise. I guess for me more then the fact that the sound does indeed bug me is that it just sounds like it's doing damage. It sounds like metal hitting on metal. I see people talking about the two noises. The tranny lash when getting on and of on the the throttle doesn't really bother me. It's the clickity clack that makes me a little COO COO. Can anyone out there tell me what is even causing it? On my old bike it got so bad sometimes it felt like someone was hitting on the foot pegs with a ball peen hammer not hard but hitting them. I'm with you in the fact that we shouldn't have to adapt so drastically to ride a bike that cost just barely south of 30 K. Anyway I'm just going to sit on things for a while. My perfectly good 2010 RT was still sitting on the show room floor and I could have gotten it back but I do love the 1600. The other thing that bugs me is 2 different gentlemen in service rode my old bike and agreed that it didn't sound right. So long story short I just don't know what to think and I am now going to put my helmet on as I'm sure I too will be bashed for not loving my new BMW as much as I could and I will have to decide. Live with it or move on. Most of all someone tell me what that noise is and why didn't the GTL demo bike make that noise. Good day all

Just reread my prior post. I meant to say is can anyone tell me what that noise is and why DIDN'T the GTL demo make the same noise?

As an experiment try a thicker M/C approved oil...10W-40 or 10W-50. See if the noise abates.

If using 5W-40 now it may help. My 2012 GT has some engine noise that increases as the engine warms up. It's not objectionable. Clutch drive gears, cams/tensioners, slipper clutch, etc. While spec'd at a 5W-40, the thicker oil won't hurt but may cost some minor fuel efficiency.

Hi Damon84: Small world, I am out in Parker, CO teaching a LEO motor class. One of the students JUST bought a GTL from Denver BMW. I haven't had a chance to ride it on the road yet to see if his bike makes the same or similar noise as mine. I am more than a little surprised that your new 1600 makes the same noise as your old one. Mine is at my dealer back home for further diagnosis of the engine noise. Somehow I bet if and when they find out about your situation there will be some real head scratching....myself included because I have been on other 1600's where the noise was no where near as loud as mine. Replacement of the cam chain adjuster on mine was also partially based on what was being done on yours here in Colorado. Soooo I guess I will have to see what my dealer has to say when I get home. Can I assume that the techs or service people at your dealership here in Colorado heard the noise for themselves and agreed that it was not a "normal" noise? Thanks, Rick

I'm wondering if this noise isn't just a natural sound in the new engine. Before reading this thread, I noticed an unusual sound at low rpm and no load, for example, in a 30 mph zone at about 2500 rpm. I thought to myself, "That doesn't sound right." But maybe there is nothing wrong. Maybe it's just different than the sounds of my RT or my LT simply because it's a totally different engine with different internal bells, whistles, chains, etc. Maybe the mechanics say it sounds unusual because they don't have a lot of experience with this engine either. Or maybe it's falling apart inside and I'm just in an advanced state of denial. :dunno

Why didn't you hear the sound in the demo? Maybe you didn't duplicate the right conditions on that ride. I demoed on the same bike that I bought - right off the showroom floor. I never heard the sound on the demo ride even though it was the same bike.

The engine sounds fine except in that one warmed-up, low-rpm / low-load situation: Add a little throttle - the sound goes away. Increase the RPM - the sound goes away. Maybe we should just down-shift and keep the engine speed higher which totally eliminates the sound. Has there been any actual evidence of damage? Has any dealer looked inside the engine and seen unusual wear or other problems. Is the chain tensioner idea a theory or a fact?

Back