• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Repair system case latch

D

DougCampbell

I have two system case latch mechanisms, one with a broken catch that holds it closed, and the other with broken hooks which hold it on the bike. If I could find parts, I could combine these to a working latch. Seems to be very long rivets holding it all together.
Anyone ever successfully repair one of these? TIA. Doug

I have two system case latch mechanisms, one with a broken catch that holds it closed, and the other with broken hooks which hold it on the bike. If I could find parts, I could combine these to a working latch. Seems to be very long rivets holding it all together.

I just replaced the orange catch tab on the top case for my 1999 R1100RT.

Sounds like you have enough parts to make one complete, working latch mechanism. The easiest way to do it would be to drill out the two rivets that hold the orange catch flag, then install that catch into the mechanism with the good hooks. The catch rivets are 4mm and are short in length, maybe 8-10mm at the most.

The long rivets, about 12mm are used to attach the entire mechanism to the case. On my R1100RT, the side cases and the top case use the exact same latch mechanism.

yes - I combined one with a broken handle shaft and one with half a tab that secures it to the rail on the bike. I got the rivets at home depot.

If you end up needing any extra parts, let me know. I kept whatever leftovers weren't damaged. If you need something and I have it, it can be yours for the cost of shipping. I definitely don't have the handles, the latch tab or the orange locking tab.

yes - I combined one with a broken handle shaft and one with half a tab that secures it to the rail on the bike. I got the rivets at home depot.

If you end up needing any extra parts, let me know. I kept whatever leftovers weren't damaged. If you need something and I have it, it can be yours for the cost of shipping. I definitely don't have the handles, the latch tab or the orange locking tab.

Thanks for the offer. I think my cases are all in good working shape now.

We should start a "Pay It Forward" section, where parts can be offered free to whomever needs them. You never know what is valuable to someone.

Back