• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What Happened to the Flea Market?

tonynace

I've noticed that the last couple national rallies have been missing what used to be a standard feature, the flea market. When I could not find it last year, I asked someone and was told they were now required to buy booth space, which basically killed the flea market, as the expense of a booth could not be covered by any profit they make on the goods they have for sale. I understand that some may have skirted buying a booth by selling new items from the flea market, but those people should be kicked out of the flea market instead of killing the whole thing. The flea market was a valuable part of the rally for people with older bikes who were searching for certain items to complete their bikes, and it should be re-instituted for the next rally.

I'm sure it's all about money.........the vendors who buy booth space must of b@#$'d and moaned about average members selling off their old stuff they've accumulated over the years and want to unload. Darn shame as I like going through the old used parts.
Flea market hasn't been at an MOA Rally in many years. It would be nice to see it again, but $$$$$ talks so the vendors carry a loud voice.

I was told this some years ago and don't know if it's true but suspect it is.

Come to the party

The best flea market is held every year at Blue Moon Cycle in Norcross, GA. No fees, free entertainment, one of the best bike museums around and service and parts available on Saturday; all followed by a vintage bike ride on Sunday. I usually camp out in the parking lot. John is a wonderful host.

Last year I sold a 3/4 ton truck of airhead parts. I lost my garage when I moved to the beach to retire and I needed to stop working on bikes and ride more.

What happened to the flea market

Several rallies ago I asked a member of the board if I could chair a flea market at the next rally. I never heard back about it and I get the impression that the current board and management doesn't care for it due to problems and concerns of the venders. I for one think it is VERY much a part of the national and I would be pleased to chair it.

Tom Casey
2006 R12RT
1975 R75/6

I'm sure it's all about money.........the vendors who buy booth space must of b@#$'d and moaned about average members selling off their old stuff they've accumulated over the years and want to unload. Darn shame as I like going through the old used parts.
Flea market hasn't been at an MOA Rally in many years. It would be nice to see it again, but $$$$$ talks so the vendors carry a loud voice.

I was told this some years ago and don't know if it's true but suspect it is.

Oh please, really?!
Trust me, the Vendors DO NOT drive the Rally. Alot of people do attend so they can comparison shop and do the touchy - feely of the merchandise before deciding on a purchase.
Vendors sell new items, and paying our fee for a space is part of doing business. For what it's worth, the MOA spaces are the most reasonably priced of any major event I've ever done.
I'm quite sure no one is concerned about individuals selling their personal items at the Rally.
I buy and sell my share of personal items through this site and others. I too was looking for the flea market in Sedalia.
I'm sure it would be considered if presented to the Rally chairs for next year, though I doubt it would be more than a space available in the outdoor venues, and would also require someone to organize it. Want to volunteer?
BTW, most of us are average members, I'm #18150.

Several rallies ago I asked a member of the board if I could chair a flea market at the next rally. I never heard back about it and I get the impression that the current board and management doesn't care for it due to problems and concerns of the venders. I for one think it is VERY much a part of the national and I would be pleased to chair it.

Tom Casey
2006 R12RT
1975 R75/6

As an after thought to my previous post it was not too long ago that the Vendors were required to provide a $1,000,000 Certificate of Indemnity for the Board, Volunteers, Event Grounds, etc. for the week of the rally.
That may be the reason the Flea Market disappeared. More liability woes (sigh).

What happened to the Flea Market

As an after thought to my previous post it was not too long ago that the Vendors were required to provide a $1,000,000 Certificate of Indemnity for the Board, Volunteers, Event Grounds, etc. for the week of the rally.

This is true, BUT the flea market was NOT indented for a vender (though some slipped in through time and that is what the paying venders complained about). The intention of the Flea market was where a guy like me could sell all the things collected in the garage or attic that isn't needed (or outgrown). The ***MOA is a club for its members and these members are given a way to sell items AKA the Flea Market section of the site/mag. BUT it is so nice to touch look ask prior to buying

This is true, BUT the flea market was NOT indented for a vender (though some slipped in through time and that is what the paying venders complained about). The intention of the Flea market was where a guy like me could sell all the things collected in the garage or attic that isn't needed (or outgrown). The ***MOA is a club for its members and these members are given a way to sell items AKA the Flea Market section of the site/mag. BUT it is so nice to touch look ask prior to buying

Agreed, but I see the "potential" problem of liability, it only takes one....
Scenario: The "Club" designates an area for a Flea Market, someone trips, falls, gets injured somehow. 99.9% of us would say, boy am I clumsy, drunk, stupid, etc. That 0.01% will want compensation, who's responsible?
Sad, but potentially true, (sigh).

Oh please, really?!
Trust me, the Vendors DO NOT drive the Rally.
I'm quite sure no one is concerned about individuals selling their personal items at the Rally.

I don't think it's too far fetched to think vender's voice had something to do w/ the flea market at rallies being done away with. Seems VERY plausible too me.

I can tell you from personal experience that there IS a concern for individuals selling personal items at the rally, because a few years ago I was asked by a MOA representative to pack up a few items I was selling. It was only some trinkets in a small box, I was selling off the back of my bike.

Last edited:
Insurance Requirements

It's about insurance.

The contract for the rally grounds require anyone selling anything to provide $1,000,000 liability insurance naming the grounds and personnel. This is standard policy at all facilities large enough to host the MOA rally.

There are many local and regional rallies that can and do allow flee markets. When attending those events let those organizers know you appreciate the flee market.

I've noticed that the last couple national rallies have been missing what used to be a standard feature, the flea market. When I could not find it last year, I asked someone and was told they were now required to buy booth space, which basically killed the flea market, as the expense of a booth could not be covered by any profit they make on the goods they have for sale. I understand that some may have skirted buying a booth by selling new items from the flea market, but those people should be kicked out of the flea market instead of killing the whole thing. The flea market was a valuable part of the rally for people with older bikes who were searching for certain items to complete their bikes, and it should be re-instituted for the next rally.

Pecatonica IL, Blackhawk Region BMW association, last weekend in April, always a good time. See you there

It's tooo cold

I used to go to Pecantonica when I lived in Barrington, IL. Often that early date left me cold and shivering.

Does anyone on this forum have any ideas for warmer weather riding to a BMW MOA event? (groan...)

I used to go to Pecantonica when I lived in Barrington, IL. Often that early date left me cold and shivering.

Does anyone on this forum have any ideas for warmer weather riding to a BMW MOA event? (groan...)

Yea, any event you do these days is guaranteed to have warmer weather, and way to much of it. The cooler weather sounds pretty good right about now.

Back