• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Rally thread-the early info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, so who's up for a PCH ride starting in LA about a week before that? I might do that... Could also start in SF going north and then spend more time in Oregon seeing some sights I missed last time.

PittsDriver, as this gets closer please contact me: beemerdons@aol.com or 480-440-4666

My Son Seth starts 10th grade on 7/23/13, so we will leave Salem, OR on Saturday 7/20.

Salem/Alaska:)

I continue North after Salem to Alaska, or vice versa coming home through Salem, probably the first choice. Alaska, my last state on a bike to see. I want to ride the whole loop, no ferry inside passage for my first trip, far North. Salem promises to be a really nice break from the 100s temps. of previous years. Very green area of Oregon too, so instead of sunshades for heat relief, bring same for showers:). July may see no wet, but ITS very green there on the Western Slopes of the Cascades vs. RedmondOR., high desert country. NOT too far part, these two cities in Oregon, BUT worlds different in appearance...Please come, Randy

Hi all, normally an Official Rally Thread wouldn't appear until the spring but due to the many similar postings, the Mod Team has decided to put all the threads together until we bring out the usual Official 2013 Rally Thread.
This thread will have the various postings of location of the event, dates and general info.
Hopefully this will help all involved plan for another great rally. OM

What is the date of next years rally. Anyone have a suggestion on a good (cheap) hotel /motel.?

The only suggestion I have is that if you are going to stay in a hotel you better book early as they are already starting to fill up. I booked mine almost 2 weeks ago now and the hotel I am at is already full.

If I go, I'll probably fly in and hang out....why not. Don't have the time to ride there, I'm just a workin stiff. :wave

bringing friends

A friend of mine went to the 2010 rally in Redmond. He rides a Honda ST1300 and had little to do with BMW. He was very impressed with the rally.

I just informed him the rally is in Salem next year and he already has a ride organized from a week before the rally from Seattle down through Northern CA and then back up to Salem. The ride is posted on our local sport touring group and there are already about a 1/2 dozen riders signed up! These are non-BMW riders. I think this says a lot.

2013 Rally

Gee another MOA rally in Oregon it has been so long since there has been one there. Seems someone with some clout likes Oregon. Surprised Redmond was not picked again. Nice location just seems convenient that Oregon was picked again. Too bad most of the riders who belong to MOA cannot attend due to distant location.

I'm new, so i'll bite, is MOA membership heavilly weighted to the east coast to make a hardship for most of the membership?

Salem seems like a great location? I am from the Central Coast of California and I vacation (RV/Camp) often in Oregon. We have friends in the Bend/Redmond area and love it there. Salem (the State Capital) is a totally different climate. In the summer I have seen overcast and rain and it has been hot. Head to the coast or the mountains to find the weather you most enjoy!!! A great central Oregon location to access some beautiful rides.

The short answer to your question is "yes". If you take any potential Rally site and draw a 500 mile circle, you will find that the closer you get to the NE, the more members you will have included inside the circle.

But to be fair to all members, there is a 4 zone rotation system, recently revised, that makes the '13 rally in the West zone.

Coincidence?

2 MOA National Rallies in Redmond and next year in Salem, OR. Same chairperson for each of these rallies. Just a coincidence? Seems that the chairs of the National rally are the ones who make the decision. The MOA needs to start listening to complaints about rally selection sites or have to get used to a small percentage of MOA members attending. So far it is obvious that the board is not listening.

2 MOA National Rallies in Redmond and next year in Salem, OR. Same chairperson for each of these rallies. Just a coincidence? Seems that the chairs of the National rally are the ones who make the decision. The MOA needs to start listening to complaints about rally selection sites or have to get used to a small percentage of MOA members attending. So far it is obvious that the board is not listening.

The reality is that a very small percentage of members are complaining about the selection process. The location of the Rally has more to do with attendance than any other cause. East Coast events draw larger crowds. West Coast events draw smaller crowds.

You couldn't be more wrong about who makes the decision.

Check out This Link It needs to be updated with the new Zone Map but the process is the same.

Rally sites are chosen by a committee, a long time before the Rally Chair is found. They are currently looking at locations for 2014 and 2015. Working with venues a couple of years ahead of time is required to insure that we have the best possible venue from the choices available. I'm positive that no one has volunteered to be the 2015 Rally chair.

The reason that we are back on the west coast is because the location rotation system was changed and there are now 4 rally zones instead of 6.

I'm thankful that anyone would take on this difficult task two times. It is a years worth of hard work requiring a very organized person who has a lot of contacts with MOA members who have the skills and experience to be chairs of specific parts of the rally.

The BOD listens. But that doesn't mean that they react to every opinion. They have surveyed the membership and the results have been available for members. The overwhelming majority want a July Rally.

One has to keep in mind that forum members are a small subset of MOA. Because some people express an opinion here, it doesn't reflect the view of the overall membership.

No worries, just attend:)

It moves around the USA, of course and everytime it hits the West Coast, so many from East whine all about it? Not too many, just always here it! I am West Coast and have found my way to almost all the East National Rallies. Its IS a hardship from home for me too, but I manage somehow. If ya can't thats fine, just lay low and maybe a solution will allow you to get away, as me coming East. Polulation centers for MOA folk around the country are not a guideline to allow for the adventurous spirit of a touring/camping org. as unique as the MOA. It must move about all of NAmerica. I vote Canada TOO:). Oregon has got to be a highlight for just about anybody on a bike, even with recent visits there for our rally. Salem, vs Redmond? Do your homework, NOT two regions of Oregon even similar in any way. High desert vs lush green, more coastal like. The Oregon/Washington Coasts are exceptionally spectacular and not many compare. If ya get a chance to wonder into Vancouver Island,BC.,Canada, a short day+ to there from Salem, you'll be deep into the NW experience. Its a lifestyle, beyond most riding we see everyday. See ya'll there. Randy

Great Lakes

Do not have the vacation time to go from Ohio to Salem OR. So it looks like a ride around the Great Lakes. 2014 Zone 3 Midwest and 2016 Zone 4 Eastern look good for me.

It moves around the USA, of course and everytime it hits the West Coast, so many from East whine all about it? Not too many, just always here it! I am West Coast and have found my way to almost all the East National Rallies. Its IS a hardship from home for me too, but I manage somehow. If ya can't thats fine, just lay low and maybe a solution will allow you to get away, as me coming East. Polulation centers for MOA folk around the country are not a guideline to allow for the adventurous spirit of a touring/camping org. as unique as the MOA. It must move about all of NAmerica. I vote Canada TOO:). Oregon has got to be a highlight for just about anybody on a bike, even with recent visits there for our rally. Salem, vs Redmond? Do your homework, NOT two regions of Oregon even similar in any way. High desert vs lush green, more coastal like. The Oregon/Washington Coasts are exceptionally spectacular and not many compare. If ya get a chance to wonder into Vancouver Island,BC.,Canada, a short day+ to there from Salem, you'll be deep into the NW experience. Its a lifestyle, beyond most riding we see everyday. See ya'll there. Randy

Gotta say that Google Maps satellite view shows a pretty brown area around Salem stretching north and south along I5. To the east and to the west of Salem it looks very green. The area around Salem, not so much.

Map of Salem

Not saying there isn't good riding all around. And going to Canada on the way home sounds like a lot of fun as well. And Crater Lake may be open (highway up closed last spring and foggy at the HQ building) so it is all good!:hug:thumb

Randy,

Do you know if there are any campgrounds on Vancouver Island that one could stay at after the rally?

They have surveyed the membership and the results have been available for members. The overwhelming majority want a July Rally.

Just to be clear on the survey, there were 4 dates to choose from, 3 in July and 1 in June.
The date with the most votes was in June.

Just to be clear on the survey, there were 4 dates to choose from, 3 in July and 1 in June.
The date with the most votes was in June.

Yes, but the other three dates combined got the majority. Most respondents chose July.

Yes, but the other three dates combined got the majority. Most respondents chose July.

The way the survey was done, we don't know what the majority wants.
For all we know the majority wants May or Sept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back