• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any mechanical qirks on a 03 F650 I Sould know about?

Xtriggerman

Next week i go to pick up a 03 with only 2500 miles on it. I thought i would ask if there are any known engine/electrical or chasi issues with this particular year. It also has abs. What do you guys think?

No mechanical issues that I am aware of specific to this model/year.
Filters/fluids, follow the maintenance schedule and it will serve you well.

Steering head bearings seem to go earlier than the same bearings fail on airheads. I think it relates to the less steep rake angle.

Water pumps have a reputqtion for failing - a little gear breaks eventually.

Neither ar huge deals but those are things to watch for.

Thanks guys, its refreshing to see a model specific forum without alot of r&r issues. By the way, a dealer is not anything like close by, so is there any one or two web sights for discount or otherwise parts disribution?

I had a '03 F650GS that I sold with over 36000 miles on it. The bike was in great condition and had not had any problems or issues. After missing it for about three years I bought another one (03). Its a much lower mileage bike, so I don't really have a good track record with it yet.

I had a '03 F650GS that I sold with over 36000 miles on it. The bike was in great condition and had not had any problems or issues. After missing it for about three years I bought another one (03). Its a much lower mileage bike, so I don't really have a good track record with it yet.

Thats great news to me! Im handy with a wrench for most things so the water pump and bearings may be stuff I'll pick up just to have incase. I pick the bike up monday and ride her home the 7 hours it takes. What a maiden voyage! Curious how well the stocker seat is going to treat me. I think I'll go for a DAKAR seat from seatconcepts.com if I need a bit more hight for comfort.... we'll see.

Steering head bearing are about it.

My wife has a factory lowered 2003 gs that has around 36,000 miles on it. I had to replace the steering head bearing, no big deal but there is a special tool to help torque the headset. The battery seem to go out pretty quick. I think it is because the battery sits on top of the engine and get a lot of heat. The heat causes the battery fluid to evaporate and because you have to remove the "fake" gas tank to get to the battery, the fluid does not get checked as often as it should. I put a odyssey seal battery in the bike and will have to see how long it last.

Great bike, light weight, 70 miles per gallon and fun to ride. Enjoy

Back