• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 R1250GSA Spy Shots

Does anyone know what they're actually building now (or beginning next month)? Will the 2013 R1200RT and GS be available in a month or two, unchanged from the 2012's, or is the factory only getting ready to build the watercooled versions?

Does anyone know what they're actually building now (or beginning next month)? Will the 2013 R1200RT and GS be available in a month or two, unchanged from the 2012's, or is the factory only getting ready to build the watercooled versions?

I suspect both the current and new engines will be built side by side for a period of time until the new mill is incorporated into all the R models. This was the case with the 16 valve engine in the K bike, the original 8 valve engines soldiered on on the K-100LT even as K-100RS sprouted the new engine and Paralever driveline, and was also true of the displacement updates on the oilheads. The flying brick K-1200 lingered in the LT even as it was replaced with the transverse K-1200/1300 mill in the S and R flavors.
It is simply too expensive and difficult to change the whole R series at once, and if you find a flaw early on, you only affect one of the models rather than the whole line.

Bob's BMW told me they expect water-cooled 2013 GS bikes on the sales floor by late September. They've taken deposits for the first four.

Cheers, T

I am curious to know Bob's is getting them before the official release at Octobers Intermot in Koln, Germany.

My dealer (Ride West in Seattle) told me there are no air/oil cooled boxer engines in the pipeline after the 2012 models are gone. All future boxer engines will be water cooled.

That's why I bought my GSA this year.

I apologize; I posted incorrect information just above.

My contact at Bob's has retracted his information about the 2013 models. There is no longer any assertion that water-cooled GS's will be available in September.

Sorry for muddying the wasser.

Cheers, Tom

I apologize; I posted incorrect information just above.

My contact at Bob's has retracted his information about the 2013 models. There is no longer any assertion that water-cooled GS's will be available in September.

Sorry for muddying the wasser.

Cheers, Tom

As long as it's not the cooling wasser you muddy .............:nyah

Back