• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So I bought an IPhone

Words With Friends. It's Scrabble for the phone. Frustrating some times when one player has all vowels and the other all consonants, but it's fun.

I have a folder for Travel apps. Gas Buddy, TripIt, Hotels.com, Yelp Trip Advisor, MapQuest and DropBox are in it. TripIt is nice for keeping any reservations organized and it can be shared with others who you might want to keep informed. We keep confirmation and other documents hand in DropBox. AroundMe is kind of handy. Another app that shows services in your vicinity.

My Weather folder has Weather.com and AccuWeather. I wish the NWS had an app.

For "stalker" apps, we use Find Friends. You can allow people to always follow you or for a set period. If you are heading off on a trip ou could allow family and select friend to follow where you are.

In September Aplle is supposed to be releasing a new OS that will include their own mapping app. You will then be able to get turn by turn directions on your iPhone. n You can see a preview here

You will then be able to get turn by turn directions on your iPhone.

Umm...I have an iPhone 4S, and it does turn-by-turn directions just fine using the stock "Maps" app. It was useful on a recent driving trip. I don't use it on the bike.

I did get the Otter-box as I'm frequently in a rough environment, I can say that with the clip it feels like I'm hauling around an English Ballast Brick :hungover

If I could, I would suggest the LifeProof case, waterproof, dust proof, snow proof, much lighter then the Otter Box, a bit more $$, but IMHO well worth it. I've shot videos from inside a full beer glass with no problems. http://www.lifeproof.com/ I have no connection with LifeProof other than a very satisfied customer.

Words With Friends. It's Scrabble for the phone. Frustrating some times when one player has all vowels and the other all consonants, but it's fun. ...

My wife is addicted to WWF on her iPad. She has 6 or 7 games going all the time...

You got the best phone out there. If you enjoy tinkering to get a phone to run smooth, or less than stellar graphics, there are plenty of other phones out there. I've had a number of them, none compared to the iphone. I have a nav feature that tells me turn by turn if I'm without a GPS, and it comes in very handy. I can quietly listen to music, and it tells me what I need to know (fades the music down and back up) without having to look down at the GPS/phone. It's a tiny laptop, basically. I've had one for years. My wife and kids all have Iphones, some passed down from me, some purchased new. Otterbox is your friend. When I run, my route and time (and prompts as I specify) are tracked through an iphone app and whispered in my ear. When I ride, the aforementioned nav app and map apps let me route or reroute. Need a starbucks? Repair shop? Steakhouse? Takes only seconds. It's one thing to know the overall rain chance by percentage. Checking hourly or watching moving maps lets me much more accurately assess my chances of rain on a ride. Video chat and photo messaging are nice when you're on the road away from the family. Hi res pictures are helpful when letting the shop know about a problem or part you need. Some of the other brands come fairly close, but just aren't as sustainably fast, robust, or gifted in the display department.

Umm...I have an iPhone 4S, and it does turn-by-turn directions just fine using the stock "Maps" app. It was useful on a recent driving trip. I don't use it on the bike.

Umm....the stock Google Maps on iPhone 4 doesn't do voice directions. Pretty sure that's what he was referring to.

Maybe the 4s does? :scratch

The 4S doesn't.

Correct. Rob originally mentioned being able to "get" turn-by-turn directions. I took "get" to mean "receive the information," not "receive the information by voice notification."

The 4S presents turn-by-turn info, but only visually on the screen.

The 4S will announce the directions as well. I have used that walking around a visiting city.

The 4S will announce the directions as well.

The 4S will announce turn-by-turn directions with some iStore Apps (e.g., "MapQuest 4 Mobile"), but cannot announce turn-by-turn using the stock Apple App "Maps."

Well, I was in an area with Wi-Fi when I used the phone on the internet yesterday. I'm thinking that it was faster than the DSL I have here with this older Sony laptop.
As I ask around, using the weather as an example, everybody thinks their selection for an App is the best...kinda funny, OM

it sounds like a lot of people are drinking the apple kool aid.

posted by my 4G phone

I could not stand "Apple people" that would tell me all about how great a Mac was compared to a PC. I was always a gadget guy and started buying handhelds all the way back to the old Casio Boss. Then came the palm platforms from palm and Sony. Then came wifi palms, then palm phones then window based phones. What I had were hard to use devices with giant manuals that had to have the battery pulled from them at least three times a week to unfreeze the unit. The iPad intrigued me and the day it was launched was close to my birthday so I bought one. I intuitively knew ow to use it right out of the box with no need for instructions. It did not freeze or lock up. Within 2 weeks of buying it I switched from being a long time Verizon customer to AT&T so I could buy an iPhone and ditch the world of what I now knew to be crappy smart phones. Within a year a had a Mac pro laptop. I will never buy a pc or windows based phone again. I now understand "Apple people". They were not bragging they were just happy and not frustrated like windows people. They did not have to buy all the virus protection and wait for security updates each time they fired up the computer. They were just trying to turn the world on to what glory they had found like missionaries from a fruity religion. Yes I have become another disciple and am now an "Apple person". No funny uniforms required. Not sandals with white socks or neon biker shorts. No pocket protector or broken glasses. Nope, just a large bank account for data plans and a iTunes account. 3200 songs later I am a happy man. I never had any doubts anyway once I bought the iPad but when I saw Steve Jobs used to ride a BMW I knew I was in the right company. Now someone give me an amen by posting that photo of the Apple King on his trusty black beauty.

Here you go.

7690758980_517a306261.jpg

As I ask around, using the weather as an example, everybody thinks their selection for an App is the best...kinda funny, OM

Many weather apps are out to lunch for what you want to know and they change with updates constantly, just like, huh, the weather. That's why I use so many.

Back