• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So I bought an IPhone

I'm considering an iphone along with a samsung. The samsung has a micro sd slot and it comes with 16gb of internal storage. It can be upgraded using the micro sd slot to 64gb.

The iphone has no micro sd slot so I'm wondering if 16gb would be adequate for a moderate user.

I would like some input from those familiar with iphone. Thanks

Before you buy, read up on the Apple vs. Samsung battle. http://techland.time.com/2012/08/27/what-the-apple-vs-samsung-verdict-means-for-you-hint-dont-panic/

We're thinking up upgrading to smart phones so I've been looking at iPhones & Android phones. What I've found...

Nearly all the apps that are available for iPhone are also available for Android and they're often free or cheaper. With anything Apple you're pretty much tied to iTunes and the Apple App store but there are several sources for Android content and again it's often cheaper. You can't replace the battery in an iPhone (at least it's not easy) as you can in many Android phones and you can't put a memory card into an iPhone. The hardware on some of the Android phones is better the on the iPhone (camera, display, etc.). Android has a much larger market share than iOS. As a software developer (retired) I much prefer Android's open architecture over Apple's closed proprietary architecture. Go to a Verizon or Sprint or ATT store where you can look at the phones side by side and see which one you like. If you're already in the Apple camp you'll probably feel at home with an iPhone but the interface is very similar (hence all the litigation).

My wife is ready to go for an iPhone but I'm on the fence between an iPhone, a Motorola Droid Razr or Max, or the new Samsung S III. We'll probably wait till the new iPhone comes out and the price of the 4S goes down. Or we may just stick with our dumb phones...I'm not really sure we'd use all the bells & whistles in the smart ones.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth. YMMV, etc...

(Disclaimer...I worked for Motorola for 30 yrs but not in the cell phone division)

I have the new Samsung Galaxy S3. For those ho might worry about the lawsuit - don't. The Galaxy S3 is not part of that suit and was designed so as to not upset the Apple cart.

With the exception of our phones, our whole household is now Apple. We have three new 15" Macbook pros, several ipods, and even one new iphone 4s.

This new S3 is a fantastic phone. I got the 16Gig model. I currently have a 16 gig micro sd card in it giving it 32 gig total. But I'm going to upgrade to either a 64 or 128 gig micro sd, giving me either 80 or a whopping 144 gig respectively. And the screen is big! Very easy to see the screen.

I also have an app, just installed today, that syncs my S3 with itunes. All the music, movies, podcasts, everything seems to sync. You just plug the phone into the mac using the USB cable and the app comes up and you can choose what you want to sync.

The phone has an 8meg rear facing camera and a 1.5 meg front facing camera. It can actually see you when your using it and keep the screen on. It recognizes your face. You can type using the keyboards, or you can just use your finger to hand-write the letters and it puts the letters in automatically. It has voice recognition similar to Siri too.

Don't know if any of this helps you or not. We love our Apple computers. But right now the Samsung S3 is the king of the hill as far as smartphones go. And from what I'm hearing, the new iphone 5 will not measure up.

iphone apps

Get "YELP" great for restaurants, hotels, and lots of other stuff. My goto app when traveling. Jerry

Nearly all the apps that are available for iPhone are also available for Android and they're often free or cheaper.

They're often a whole lot less functional as well, sometimes jerky or klunky graphics. If you do go android, get one that isn't saddled with carrier apps. That means Nexus.

Yeah you are tied to apple, but where it shows is in the consistency and quality of anything you want to run. Android, not so much.

It's funny we are talking about apps. I traded in an iPhone 3GS for a brand new Galaxy S II last October.

In 30 days, I switched the S II for a 4S since Android apps were far more expensive and were awful to work with.

In 30 days, I switched the S II for a 4S since Android apps were far more expensive and were awful to work with.

My experience exactly. iPhone 3G, Droid, iPhone 3GS all in a week. Went to a 4 sometime later, will buy the 6th gen iphone which is supposed to come out soon.

Android: launch angry bird, wait while it pauses mid-flight, etc. This was on the supposedly hardware superior Xoom when it came out. Ugh.

That said: I WANT TO LIKE ANDROID, I'M A GADGET GEEK. So far, I do not.

I tried the Android OS on one of my PCs. It lasted 2 days before it was replaced by Win 7.

Better get the S III pretty soon. Apple just filed another suit against Samsung naming it and a few other models. Apple is beginning to look more and more like a bully.

I phone

A couple years ago, at the nagging of my kids, i bought a Macbook Pro laptop. To date no issues, viruses, etc. works perfect every time. So, once again, since a 25 year old daughter knows best, i got the I phone 4S. Holy cow its cool, i don't gotta clue how to use all this tech, but pretty neat stuff. Been very happy with Apple stuff, and my kds and wife swear by it.:dance

Better get the S III pretty soon. Apple just filed another suit against Samsung naming it and a few other models. Apple is beginning to look more and more like a bully.

Apple has never been shy about using lawyers in their biz.

A couple years ago, at the nagging of my kids, i bought a Macbook Pro laptop. To date no issues, viruses, etc. works perfect every time. So, once again, since a 25 year old daughter knows best, i got the I phone 4S. Holy cow its cool, i don't gotta clue how to use all this tech, but pretty neat stuff. Been very happy with Apple stuff, and my kds and wife swear by it.:dance

Same story at my house. Can't go wrong with Apple as far as we are concerned.

I bought into the iPhone / iPad thing in January. My next laptop with be an Apple product. Pretty impressive, so far.

My 20 year daughter has been using using MacBook Pro the last two years in college, and she'll likely finish college with it.

She's already told me she wants a desktop next (Windows) and Microsoft Surface.

You guys that service your own bikes, you use laptops?

For a lot less than a Mac laptop, I can build a super desktop and run anything on it. A PC is a toaster to me.

I run a 8-thread CPU, with 16GB 1866 memory and 8TB storage. This thing is lightening fast and has had no failures since built.

Oh, I left out I have both 27" and 24" monitors with different things running on each.
I also left out my work PC is much like this one, but there, a 24" portrait monitor displays my work nice and large, and the 23" landscape monitor runs Outlook and gadgets, and a few other programs and displays work on two pages at a time.

For a lot less than a Mac laptop, I can build a super desktop and run anything on it. A PC is a toaster to me.

A desktop doesn't quite fit into my panniers. :stick

I used to do the "build your own desktop" thing. That led to an issue with noise. A quiet case was both big and expensive. Given the two or three machines that live in my office the fan noise was enough to require earplugs!

Turns out a cheap mac mini (about $600) is both quiet and has plenty of power to run my web and mail server. It was a hardware solution to part of my noise issues. I do not run OS X on that server. However, because of the mac mini when my main desktop started failing I thought I'd give an iMac a try. That was about 4 1/2 years ago.

I've had a quiet office ever since.

My PCs are quiet as well, built that way.

I use the iPhone for email and all other junk when on the bike. It works anywhere there is 3G or wireless.

It's good to see all this info. Thanks to everyone for not turning this into an oil thread.
With the IPhone, I find that, with old eyes, it's like reading my laptop through a storm drain cover. Has anyone found an app for better "optimizing" or "formatting" of the screen? I also notice that in the "tether" mode, the page load speed is about 1 minute between clicks. Thanks to all. Gary

It's good to see all this info. Thanks to everyone for not turning this into an oil thread.
With the IPhone, I find that, with old eyes, it's like reading my laptop through a storm drain cover. Has anyone found an app for better "optimizing" or "formatting" of the screen? I also notice that in the "tether" mode, the page load speed is about 1 minute between clicks. Thanks to all. Gary

If and when I have this issue, and it is rare, I turn the screen sideways, and change the display to the larger landscape mode.

Back