Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: changing my own tires 2010 R1200RT

changing my own tires 2010 R1200RT

I would like to start changing my own tires on my 2010 r1200rt. Is there anyconcerns or worries about the tire pressure sensor in the wheels? I don't want to damage them. Is the Harbour Freight portable tire changer ok?

Thanks Ron

I can't speak to the pressure sensor, but I used to own a HF tire changer and it was a POS. You get what you get for 100 bucks I would say. I know of some people that have used them and they got the job done, but I didn't like it.

I am going to use the method the guy in the video below used, and balance the with Dynabeads. I have used them in the past and they worked perfectly.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anyY0...e_gdata_player

Sent from my iPad
    Last edited by Hexkopf; 07-28-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    Integrity is what you do when no one is looking.

2008 R1200R Black

I have a Harbor Freight changer and it gets the job done. If you want something better, look at Nomar. I have the Nomar bar, tire lube, and other tools and they are first rate. I use the Marc Parnes static balancer. Works very well.

If you get a Nomar with all the tools, you will have a lot of new friends!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

I used dyna beads on my Michelin Pilot 3 front tire after realizing my wheel weights fell off. The tire has not shown any irregular wear in 6000 miles of riding. Also, as long as you ride smooth, the beads work great. They say they don't work good for racing.

I don't know what your abilities/skill level are, but I use tire irons to change the tires on my R1150 GS Adventure that has anodized rims...and we all know how easy it is to scratch those....which is why I change my own tires.

I use 2"x 5" strips of plastic cut out from windshield bottle (or similar) material. Those strips get placed between the tire iron and rim.

I haven't marked a rim...ever.

There is plenty of clearance to work around the TPMS inside the wheels, provided you know where it is and work around it so as to not to try to put the tire bead and TPMS in the same place at the same time. It is all technique.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

changing my own tires

thanks to everyone for the help. I'll just find where the sensor is and be careful.

Ron

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Look up the Scudman tire changing videos on YouTube -- hands down, the best I've seen.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

changing my own tires

ok I will, Thanks

Modified HF Changer:)

I am a welder and took the HF Tools Tire machine and made it work better! Cheap is right, as the HF Tire changer is indeed not the end all as it comes. BUT, with some talent, one still gets a great alternative to shop rates for tires on/off and a stiffened/welded HF tire changer works quite well, bolted to floor too. Use your imagination. I saved a LOT and still do my own, about 20+ tires now on the HF Tool. Randy

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I am a welder and took the HF Tools Tire machine and made it work better! Cheap is right, as the HF Tire changer is indeed not the end all as it comes. BUT, with some talent, one still gets a great alternative to shop rates for tires on/off and a stiffened/welded HF tire changer works quite well, bolted to floor too. Use your imagination. I saved a LOT and still do my own, about 20+ tires now on the HF Tool. Randy
    I've been using the top of a large trash can with lid as a working surface. Much easier with a helper. A buddy has the HF changer and like you, did some welding on it to make it better.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by oldsnort View Post
    I would like to start changing my own tires on my 2010 r1200rt. Is there anyconcerns or worries about the tire pressure sensor in the wheels? I don't want to damage them. Is the Harbour Freight portable tire changer ok?

Thanks Ron
    Not sure where your located Ron but if near central IL I have lift and nomar.

Changing tires

Thanks, central fl

Well I tried!

Tpm wheels aren't bad but "plan" you work such that the toms are in the area where the beads aren't under stress. On my nomar I keep them near my right knee and I start the tool near my left knee working counterclockwise

cljanney
    Great video from Adventure Rider Magazine.

Changing out a rear tire on a R1200GS.

Never knew the center stand/skid plate has a built in bead breaking tool.

enjoy:
    http://youtu.be/V0nrZadIQxA