• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Who did not attend because of the heat?

Who did not attend because of the heat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seriously folks. Maybe we start having these things in January in Florida and Arizona and we all fly in with a picture of our motorcycle and sit in a big room and talk about them.

I found this in another thread.
For everyone that is bitching, is this what you want? :jawdrop

Would this make you happy????

No problem...
4672e303-ba9d-108c.jpg

I found this in another thread.
For everyone that is bitching, is this what you want? :jawdrop

Would this make you happy????

I don't consider telling it like it was bitching. Besides it really doesn't matter because as soon as enough people stop coming to sweltering heat places then the fiscal reality will mandate the change. When enough money is lost then the reason why will be discovered or apparent.
I once had a Marine Corps general tell me 'You don't have to practice misery you know instantiously when your miserable'. And I was in Bloomsburg and Sedilia.
I also had a wise man tell me 'you can't drive people away from a good deal' and it is the MOA's responsibility to make these rallies a 'good deal' and quit blaming people for having bad experiences, because of the lack of a good deal!
Of course YMMV and your opinions maybe different but the 'good deal' is the bottom line.
Ride Safe,

Long time in;

Been to soooo many of these now, lost count, but its up near 27-28 of'em. All this time, I've NEVER really heard the reason(s) why we don't move the rally into May, early June or whatever, but not July! Its not been largely advertised why, or I missed it, not needing to know. I go anyways, whatever month. BUT, why not do something different one or two years soon. How on earth could it hurt anything to move it about the calendar a bit? I think it will draw at least as many as we've been getting. Most young folk are out of school by early June, so May may take a hit regarding that item, IF its a huge item at all? Later, as in September or so, I think the same school issue arises, BUT? I think we can try another month without killing the 'MOA. Must be some logistical items we are not aware of here. AND, the obvious heat issue, same July rally can be quickly solved by STAYING further North for these, dropping the South.. I DO remember Vermont Rally(Rutland) in 1978 getting to 104F, so that even can go South up North, no pun intended. Very rare though, as are BMW National Rallies, so we must attend anywhere we can or we grow old and look back, WISH I had done that, this kind a scenario. I'm NOT growing old and wishing, as I'm doing all I can and going out with a "no wish" list, even in heat!:). As for a RALLY somewhere else, another time of year, I vote YES for change and let the chips fall where they will. We are supposed to be an adventurous group, aren't we? BMW Riders, the last frontier riders...Lets earn our rep....Randy

And out the thousands that did go and the thousands who are members there still isn't a hundred people who have participated in this poll.
I would say that you and the others who hate the summer time frame are in a minuscule minority at best.

bwwwhhhaaaa! Thanks for the belly laugh.

Reading comprehension is key. If you can find one post where I support changing the rally dates I'll give you a hundred bucks.

:wave

Why you people don't buy some LD Comfort underwear is beyond me.

It is like having A/C on your motorcycle-riding through 107 degrees is not a big deal, and just like an electric jacket liner it really extends your
riding season. Just as with todays technology in clothes, there is no reason to be cold in the winter...you don't have to swelter in the summer either!

I even wore it while I wasat the rally, and kept soaking it down with water about every 45 minutes to an hour.
So did my Dad, who is 89, and rode to the rally. (The disclaimer is that we only had a 110 mile ride this year)
We also rode to Bloomsburg last year and it was not that bad with LD Comfort to assist.

Ken

Ken, I have bought the underwear and love it. But, please tell us what you wear and how you use it. Thanks

9/25 @ 2:46 pm

Can't wait. Then this thread can be put to rest and dusted off again after next years Rally.. :clap

Attachments

• pole.PNG
    pole.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 162
i doubt i will ever pre-register again, unless the dates are changed to what are typically cooler months or cooler locations.

if the MOA continues to hold the national rally in the dead of summer in what are sweltering locations, the problem of finding a venue large enough to hold the rally will become a non issue as more and more members will choose not to attend because of the heat factor.

Totally agree. Silly time of year and silly locations. Time for the board to move this event. Guaranteed to have more interest in the fall months where a sleeping bag is appreciated and a cup of coffee brings a break from cool morning air.

Rob,
I was at the IBA Denver meeting also and talked to Tony and also worked a few hours for Tony at the Cycle Nutz booth at the MOA. He said his business wasn't what he expected and didn't seem to happy about the attendance, ask him for more detail.
As I have said this is all a moot discussion because when people speak with their feet and don't come, then there will be a correction. And I'm betting the correction will be away from a location of miserable weather conditions and toward something better.
Ride Safe,
Robert

Funny how people's perceptions can be so different.

I was in Denver last weekend at a meet with a few folks who were vendors in Sedalia. They said it was much hotter than Bloomsburg but the Air Conditioning was 100 times better.

Regardless last I checked when touring on a motorcycle in the summer there's a pretty good chance of finding a few days of wicked hot temps. bfd.

My toughts

I have a few thoughts on the subject. Firstly, the thing that will draw young people to the MOA is BMW coming out with models and prices that young people want. If they buy the bike, they will attend the rallies.

Secondly, most "young riders" in their 40s and 50s don't take family vacations anymore. Their kids are to old to want to go with the parents on vacations. They are either in high school or beyond and have their own friends and interests.

Thirdly, There are a lot of variables in selecting a site. The projected temperatures at the venue should be near the top. I did not attend this years rally because of my environmental experience at Bloomsburg.

IMHO, I think it is time for MOA to take some chances. Either have the rally in cool Summer locations or have the rally closer to Autumn. What would really excite me is having a rally in Canada.

Lastly, my thoughts in no way should be considered a criticism of the MOA Board. They have stepped up to the plate and done a real good job of an impossible task. "Two Thumbs Up" for the Board!

Secondly, most "young riders" in their 40s and 50s don't take ..........

Yippeeeeeeeeeee............................I'm young..................................

I don't take vacations, but I'm young............................YEAH

Seriously, I think we have a problem Houston..........."young" has to mean someone in their twenties for this group to go on.

However, I do agree with point number one. In 1986, I purchased a new k75c for $4250 or 17% of the average household income for that year ($25,010). Today, the the average household income is about $50,000, but I doubt that BMW really offers much at the $8,500 price level. The F models are offered near that price level, but they really don't seem to share much technology with the R and K bikes. In that prior day, there wasn't a lot of difference between a K75 and K100.

So yes, BMW is moving away from the market where those younger riders likely live.

Last edited:
Have the rally in Sept. This is when most of the country has some of its best riding weather. Looking atout our membership I cannot believe school is a problem for most. I betting more do not go because of the heat than would not go because of school. JMHO.
I will not pre-register again as I will wait for a weather report. Too Hot... not going. :wave

I feel the same way.... If it is in the nearby area for me from the NE part of the country, Of course I will pre reg, otherwise, why suffer?

The RA rally in the spring at the Blitmore in Asheville..... Seems like a win win for many!

RA Rally-June 20-23, 2013 for a return trip to the Biltmore

Never been to an RA Rally, BUT this looks like a good deal to me! I'm in!

June 20-23, 2013 for a return trip to the Biltmore!

The RA rally in the spring at the Blitmore in Asheville..... Seems like a win win for many!

Ride Safe,
Robert

I agree completely, I can't believe school age children are the driving force/reason for Rally scheduling! Where does this come from? Is it another survey where less than 3% of the membership responded?

Looking at our membership I cannot believe school is a problem for most. I betting more do not go because of the heat than would not go because of school. JMHO.

Ride Safe,

Boy this thread has legs.

It reminds me of town council meeting where I used to live (Little Compton, RI).

LC has the lowest taxes in the state and probably close to the oldest demographic. There are so few kids in town (or ones whose parents can't afford private school) that they send the kids to another town for high school.

Try to get anyone in town to approve another buck for the school, playground or community center and whoppie. In other words, kids, issues surround kids and supporting the parents of school age kids doesn't matter in LC or apparently the MOA.

For all the retired, semi-retired or folks with kids in college think back to the first 17 to 18 years of their lives.

Were you in a position to leave home for a week or two during their first month of school?

I've taken plenty of family vacations. In 1999 the family vacation involved renting an RV parking it Rhinebeck and taking the whole crew to the rally. In 2011 my family vacation was riding to the National with my middle son, me on a GS and him on his F650GS.

Camp Gears and the kids of current members are the closest thing the MOA has to building a future with the next generation.

Move the rally to September and it all goes away.

What's more important, the future of the MOA or having the party when it suits the retirees?

Rob,
I was at the IBA Denver meeting also and talked to Tony and also worked a few hours for Tony at the Cycle Nutz booth at the MOA. He said his business wasn't what he expected and didn't seem to happy about the attendance, ask him for more detail.
As I have said this is all a moot discussion because when people speak with their feet and don't come, then there will be a correction. And I'm betting the correction will be away from a location of miserable weather conditions and toward something better.
Ride Safe,
Robert

My conversation with Chris was about heat. He mentioned traffic was down but his sales were ok. Perhaps folks wanted some seat beads to get some air flowing "down there." :laugh

Seriously folks, want a great summer?

Come on back to New England, we'd love to have you. I'd step up to do it again in a heartbeat. For a change of pace come on out to our Damn Yankees rally for a taste of New England in the summer. Nights cool enough for a sweater and days warm enough to enjoy a swimming hole.

Fist weekend in August.

Back