• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who did not attend because of the heat?

Who did not attend because of the heat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Come back to Canada in July!

We would love to have you but you might get complaints from the Vendors as before.

There must be a better way to do the Vendor thing at the border?

Geez. There are many posting here who somehow think that the MOA can control the weather. As we all know the only person who can do that was President Bush with the Cheney/Halliburton weather machine :rolleyes

The temps in Bloomsburg the rally week this year??? Hot early in the week. Thursday to Sunday? 86, 71, 78, 82. Overcast with showers. The average? Mid-80's. Just what sort of algorithm should the MOA have used in 2009 when the were likely looking for eastern sites that could accommodate us??? NYTrashman, do you think they have a crystal ball?

Take a look at the weather map. There aren't too many areas that the MOA could have selected for this year's rally that would have been hospitable. I have to imagine that the MOA is using every single bit of information it gathers from EVERY rally to make it's selection process better.

4000+ members on the MOA Face book page with zero mention of moving the rally date, 5000 + at the rally, 30,000 plus members and this poll at this time has 77 responses. I think that pretty well sums it up for me.

We would love to have you but you might get complaints from the Vendors as before.

There must be a better way to do the Vendor thing at the border?

A lot of the products displayed at the vendors seem to be available in Canada, so would the Canadian distributor for these products not be able to step up and put on a display?

Yes it was hot at the rally, but in my opinion the facilities were superb as there were very few events or venues not air conditioned, or at least with air conditioning only a short walk away. Having those facilities available does make the heat a lot easier to deal with. I believe the rally facility has a lot to do with the rally enjoyment once you arrive. The part that is unpredictable and therefore hardest to deal with is the weather for the journey to and from the rally. If the facilities are as good as what we had this year, there always be members from somewhere that will have to endure some type of weather/climate on the journey to/from the rally, no matter where the rally is located.

We were able to enjoy an extended vacation this year enroute to the rally, arriving to register on day 31. During that time, we encountered temperatures between about 38 degrees F and 113 degrees F. It was a great vacation and we would not want to have missed it, but the variability of the weather is something I as a motorcyclist must deal with if I want to be able to take a trip like that. Our route took us across Canada, up to Yellowknife, Hyder Alaska, Vancouver Island and back through the US to such places as Yellowstone Park and Mt. Rushmore. Often, more through good luck than good management, we missed some very severe weather in the form of severe rain and flooding, hail, tornadoes, as well as a landslide in various areas, often only a day or two before or after we were there.

It might prove helpful to include in the MOA ON some form of a card (or article or checklist) with steps for prevention of heat stroke, signs and symptoms of heat stroke, and the steps to take if any of the symptoms are noticed. On the other side of the card would be tips and suggestions for dealing with weather as may be encountered on a multi day trip. This could be included in an issue as the riding season is about to begin, or in one of the pre rally issues. Hopefully, the card would be durable for carrying on a bike or in the gear for a trip.

I had not planned on attending the rally as I too got sucked into all the negativity. So glad my original plans went bust and I ended up in Sedalia! My Alaska trip was off and I ended up traveling from upstate NY out West, Yellowstone NP(cool), Badlands(cool),Moab(cool),Top o the Rockies Rally Paonia(HOT),Flaming gorge(HOT), 18 States, all scorching hot. When I arrived Thursday morning I was HOT, Tired, and had a ear so swollen I couldn't hear out of it or get my helmet back on. A Wasp flew into my helmet, stung me and I had a severe allergic reaction. Let's just say I was not a happy camper when I arrived. I had already made up my mind that it was going to be too hot and I was planning not to have fun!
Despite my best efforts I failed and had a great time! I don't know where to start. AIR CONDITIONING everywhere that kept up with demand! Trams taking you where you wanted to go dispensing free water, great live bands(BRAVO!), low priced and delicious food from vendors, CLEAN & AIR CONDITIONED SHOWER TRUCKS- WOW!, plenty of shaded or covered(in my case) camping, just to mention a few.

The problem is not the location, time of year or venue it is YOU! If it's too hot or too far, etc. then please for your own good(as well as the attendees as you all sound like so much FUN to be around!) you should stay home or choose another rally more suitable to your physical condition. With only 70-80 disgruntled members out there so far maybe they could hold a rally of their own.

The MOAARP RALLY:
New Vendors! Depends, Ensure, Hoveround, Metamucile, Geritol.
Musical guest The Lawrence Welk jr. Band
Maybe it could be held in an unused wing of a Nursing Home?

My deciding factor is time off. I work for a School Dist. My only time off is when we are closed. I missed my first RA Rally in 10 yrs. because they changed the date to June. Some of us youngsters (53) still work vs.sitting around thinking of new things wrong with the MOA to complain about.

Gee.. can't imagine why all this whining/BS about heat and so many other insignificant or uncontrollable things doesn't attract a slew of new, younger riders to come into our fold! The're just neat'in down the door to join the MOA!

Dang kid , slow down take a chill pill and enjoy life a bit more.
Whew, you sound like you are ready to explode any moment.:brow

Once upon a time

Dang kid , slow down take a chill pill and enjoy life a bit more.
Whew, you sound like you are ready to explode any moment.:brow

I remember being young and impatient; but we had great drugs back in the day which eased all my anxieties.

I almost posted a nasty response back there, but luckily I've forgotten what it was that got my ire up. See? This getting old thing ain't so bad after all! :rofl

I turn 60 next week. Think I'll go for a little motorcycle ride to visit some of my old friends - in the heat - in August - 2500 miles. Can't wait!
Yes - we (on the board) are reading this. :wave

my head hurts

After reading all the posts in this thread as well as the others about rally location, date, likes and dislikes, my head hurts. Perhaps it's the baggage that comes with an open society where everyone's opinion counts. Polls are the tools of those with an agenda. Let's face it- no matter what plans are made, someone will use the forum to suggest something that would please them better. And, comparisons to Sturgis and Daytona are simply unfair- those are two different animals.

Keep up the good work, volunteers and organizers. You put it on, we'll show up. How many is irrelevant. You know what you're doing as far as I can tell from the rallies I have attended.:thumb

It might prove helpful to include in the MOA ON some form of a card (or article or checklist) with steps for prevention of heat stroke, signs and symptoms of heat stroke, and the steps to take if any of the symptoms are noticed. On the other side of the card would be tips and suggestions for dealing with weather as may be encountered on a multi day trip. This could be included in an issue as the riding season is about to begin, or in one of the pre rally issues. Hopefully, the card would be durable for carrying on a bike or in the gear for a trip.

Great idea, I wrote an article for the Touring Tips prior to the Wyoming Rally about riding in heat greater than body temperature . Technically one has to bundle up or be blown dry in all the nice gear our marketeers tell us to ride in when its very hot. Hydration, medication, age, what fiber of cloth you have against you are all factors in this science of riding. This can be a long article to make sure you don't miss anything or watered down to a tank bag card that most will not see anymore than the election ballot or a survey in ON.

My concern, *I don't think our membership would appreciate one shouldn't be drinking coffee or alcohol nor being confused by wearing a cotton t-shirt is good under riding gear verses bad walking around the rally site. :scratch or its Ok to use an umbrella in the sun............sounds like I been out in the sun too long. I'll see what ideas Kevin has and discuss it with Vince.

Our recent world weather cycle is extreme everywhere, this year in Pennsylvania you would have had 80 degree days, cooler nights and rain all day Rally Friday. There were a few small intense thunderstorms that caused damage, quick bursts of many inches of rain that caused flooding in Williamsport, Montrose had a tornado, Hazleton had a building implode from wind sheer, Forty Fort had a huge tent knocked down prior to a community event and luckily no one was in it. Yeah, last year we could have the rally earlier but it was rain everyday into June and when September came around a hurricane flooded Bloomsburg.

There are cries to return further north but I spent some very hot uncomfortable days in Toronto and Montreal so I don't think there is a perfect place. Matter of fact Newfoundland was warmer than Florida. :scratch

Kidd

Relax...Have a laxative, and loose the attitude about older riders, we were the one's who made all this possible

Oldsters

Relax...Have a laxative, and loose the attitude about older riders, we were the one's who made all this possible

I am 67. I have done over 1,000,000 miles on BMWs, plus other brands. I have done hill climbs, motocross, cross country; toured all of Europe and most of Africa.

I rode 1256 miles to the rally in a 24 hour period that included a 2 1/2 hour HES replacement on the side of the road in Kentucky.

Now where are those young whiper snappers that are doing all the whining?

Change the date!

I wanted to attend this year but had a vacation planned for over a year in Kauai where the temp was in the low 80's Oceanside with a breeze and a cool drink in hand. I would recommend a change in the date verses location. I do my rallies in the spring and fall, I,m into comfort not to impress anyone.

My wife will not let me take her back to the islands again, I told her if we or i go I'm not coming back :brow

I preregistered, but did not go because of the heat. Location isn't as much of a problem as locating where it's hot and humid. If the rallies are in the middle of July, then plan to going somewhere where it's nice to ride, cooler climates.

Back