• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear brake caliper locking up 2007 R1200RT

rmeisen

I have a 2007 RT with 75k miles and the rear caliper is not releasing. The foot lever has no free play, it has not been changed since it started, so it's not an adjustment issue. I'm pretty sure it is the caliper, my questions for the group.

What's the easier way to narrow the trouble down?
I think just opening the bleed screw on the caliper would do it, if it is the caliper the pedal will drop but the caliper will stay tight, if it is the pedel adj or MC, the caliper will release and everything else stay somewhat the same.

Anything else I can look at beforehand?Anything I need to be careful of in replacing parts and bleeding the system?
The bike still rolls so it's not a complete lockup yet but it sure gets hot. I can still rattle the abs so I don't think it is causing any problems.
Thanks in advance.
Ron

I would open the bleeder on the caliper (with a hose to a drain bottle attached!) to release any hydraulic pressure.

If the wheel is then free, before looking at the caliper I would look at the brake rear hose -- they can internally fail and act as a "one-way valve," allowing pressure to be pushed from the ABS unit to the caliper, but not allow that pressure to bleed back off upstream to the ABS unit when the brake pedal is released.

I'd suggest you begin by just pulling the caliper, removing the pads, and blowing some compressed air into all the nooks and crannies and trying to work the pistons and the sliders in and out a little by hand. It could just be some dirt has gotten into it or maybe a little brake lube is needed at the sliders.

Last edited:
Back