• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Filters

layton

Layton
I have a 85 K100RT and a 96 R1100RT and at the rally I bought a oil filter wrench and supposedly it will fit both bikes.....My question is do both bikes use the same oil filter?

Didn't the K-bike filter and the oil head filter have different stock numbers? I know they would physically interchange. Jon

Filter wrench

The filter wrench also fits my Z3 cap for the cartridge. As for the filter I used a purolater per 183 for my K75 at less than half the cost of a BMW filter which also accepted the filter wrench 180,000 miles and no problems

"11 42 1 460 845"

Yesterday, I bought an oil filter from my dealer for my K75. The part number on the box is the one above. Pull the filter from the box and read the numbers printed on the filter.

"11.42 1 460 845" and "11.42 1 460 697"

What is the second number? Could it be the one for your oilhead?

Wix sells a filter for the K bike and Oilheads, part number 57936. From my experieince in fleet maintenance in a truck company, Wix is a reliable filter, and the only filter I run on my cars. Napa Gold is a Wix filter by the way. So are the top of the line filters from Chevron.

Oilhead filter for R1200C (and maybe RT?? I forget) is same as Toyota Tundra and FJ Cruiser, and probably a lot more vehicles. Do some searching and you can find other vehicles your bike's filter fits. It may make it easier for you to find and buy them from places other than a dealer. Cheaper too for the same filter.

Oilhead filter for R1200C (and maybe RT?? I forget) is same as Toyota Tundra and FJ Cruiser, and probably a lot more vehicles. Do some searching and you can find other vehicles your bike's filter fits. It may make it easier for you to find and buy them from places other than a dealer. Cheaper too for the same filter.

Be careful. External dimensions are not the whole story. What are the bypass pressures, flow rates and nominal microns of these car filters? Just because they happen to fit doesn't mean they are the correct filter for our motorcycles. We see on another post a member advocating use of a Bosch 3330 filter, the same one I buy for my fiancees Toyota Avalon when I change the oil for her. Funny my BMW filter wrench is too big for that filter. But it is apparently, to some members, ok to use this undersized filter on our bikes. I shake my head.

It never failes to amaze me how people can buy such an expensive bike then find every possible way to cheap out on basic maintenance. It is almost like they don't care about how long their bike lasts. Cheap uber alles. Yes, of course.

The cheapest part on a BMW is the rider. Old saying but seemingly true.

Funny my BMW filter wrench is too big for that filter. But it is apparently, to some members, ok to use this undersized filter on our bikes. I shake my head.

My filter wrench works perfectly on both the 3302 and the OEM "Made in Austria" filter (as well as on the M1-102...) I checked after you posted on the other thread. Yep, I use all three, usually what I have on hand. I have for over 120,000 miles on K Bikes.

As for the flow rates and microns, Google is your friend. Here is a great site that compares a whole ton of filters:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html
There are many other sites out there as well.

Last edited:
Be careful. .

I have been careful. I have been using these for 12 years. 3 or4 different BMW bikes. Not all the time, but until recently, there was no nearby dealer for me to go to. I actually went to BMW Manhattan for some filters once and between the time involved, the tolls, the parking, and the BIG wait once I got to the parts counter, it didn't pay for me to go that route. I know of some stories about filters not fitting. I am telling you that I have used these filters that are listed for BOTH cars or trucks and our motorcycles and have the same parts numbers. I am not guessing or making up my own cross references. I only mentioned this because many people seem to be having trouble finding filters outside of a dealership. Some people live 200 miles from a BMW dealer and just can't walk in on any Saturday. It's also obvious that the price will be less somewhere else, that was not the main point of my post and I object to your rant about being cheap.

I found the filter issue to be kinda simple, Beemer boneyard has factory filters at a reasonable price, ordered a dozen think i'am good for awhile. Word of caution though mark each box for the bike/vehicle it's for I tend to forget as I have several bikes and cars I service

My filter wrench works perfectly on both the 3302 and the OEM "Made in Austria" filter (as well as on the M1-102...) I checked after you posted on the other thread. Yep, I use all three, usually what I have on hand. I have for over 120,000 miles on K Bikes.

As for the flow rates and microns, Google is your friend. Here is a great site that compares a whole ton of filters:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html
There are many other sites out there as well.

I'm talking about the Bosch 3330 filter used on many Toyotas.

I've seen the site. The guy doesn't know BMW K bikes. With 80-85 psi oil pressures when hot and very high volume, particularly on pre-1990 Ks that were geared to spin the oil and coolant pump faster than on later bikes, bypass pressures are a real consideration when buying an oil filter. Many car filters will bypass at the normal oil pressures that K bikes run.
That high pressure and volume are a large part of what make Ks so durable. Now you want to throw it away with a car filter that might not be up to the K bike's oil pressure? It's your bike, but don't say I didn't warn you.

I am quite happy with my choice to use them (yes I meant the 3330 - stupid iPad) and promise not to say you didn't warn me. I have done the research and have been happily using them for more than 15 years. Of all the people I know who use them, going all the way back to the early 90's on the IBMWR list when Rob Lentini first made aftermarket filter use popular, I have not once heard of a failure or problem due to a Bosch or Mobil-1 filter (Fram is a different story...) For what it is worth, it is the filter included when you buy a Kbike 12k/24k oil and filter kit from Beemerboneyard. If you have some credible information that proves otherwise, I'd love to see it.

Last edited:
if you have one of the K bikes where the filter is in the oil pan exposed to the oil, then no paper labels on filter. Some filters do not have real good paint, if it flakes off that can be an issue also. I would be careful there.

Rod

Back