• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS911 to the rescue

alanrd

The GS911 rescued me 10 days ago. I was on a motorcycle vacation and was about to get the bike (2007 BMW RT) off the Prince Edwards Island ferry, when the bike would crank, but not start. After everyone else departed I pushed the bike off the ferry. I plugged in the GS-911 and tested with my cell phone (droid) and discovered the fuel pump controller was bad. This controller was the ÔÇ£ImprovedÔÇØ controller that was replaced under warranty. Lucky for me I had the GS 911 and a Jumper that I had purchased after the first controller left me stranded. I took the cover off, removed the controller, installed the jumper and the bike fired up. I was 1500 miles from home and many miles from a BMW dealer. On my way back I stopped at a dealer, but they did not have the parts. I ordered the part.
To sum up, it would have cost much more than the cost of the GS-911 if I could not have diagnosed the problem. I would have spent much more having my bike towed hundreds of miles to a dealer and paid diagnostic costs. Plus, I would have lost at least one vacation day.
If you ride a modern day BMW, donÔÇÖt leave home without it.
No affiliation etc.

That was basically my experience. I did not prepare for it tho' and I had to get towed about 50 miles.
However, with posting on (a different) forum, a member volunteered and did ride 210 miles (420 round trip) to bring me a loaner fpc. On Sunday.
Now I carry a bypass cable, as well as my GS911.
dc

Thanks!

Thanks for posting your experience with the GS 911 and the jumper cable. I got the GS 911 earlier this year and haven't had any unfortunate experiences yet and I hope my luck continues. Your post did remind me to order the jumper cable from
Burns Moto though and I did it as soon as I finished reading your post. I think the commercial for this would go: GS 911........ $400 (I got the pro bluetooth model).............Burns Moto Jumper Cable......$35.00...........not being stranded on your motorcycle in a far away place............PRICELESS !!

Never heard of this product before, but it seems like a nice thing to have on the road. I don't leave home without the GS911 when I take one of the 'modern' BMW's on a trip.

I see that it will work for my baby GS's, but it doesn't mention the R12C or an older R850R. Is it because those bikes didn't have a problem or it will work, they just didn't list it????

I see that it will work for my baby GS's, but it doesn't mention the R12C or an older R850R. Is it because those bikes didn't have a problem or it will work, they just didn't list it????

Looking at the Hexcode site, it appears your R1200 and 850 are covered.

This is copied from the Hexcode website.

The GS-911 tool was initially designed specifically with the GS range of motorcycles in mind. This however quickly expanded to most all current models that are electronically diagnosable. Currently it officially supports the following:

R-Series:

■ALL R1200 models
■ALL R1150 models
■R1100S
■Most R850 (all those with the round 10pin diagnostic connector)

Last edited:
You should also look CAREFULLY and the diagnostic functions supported by the current software for your bike even if is IS listed. While it is terrific on the R-series, my buddy (with a S1000RR) was going to pitch in for one with me and another friend. Yes, the RR is supported but they are still working on updating the software for that model. No doubt the software updates are coming (HexCode are terrific folks), but it does pay to delve into the list of diagnostic functions supported for your model.

Also, steer away from the counterfeit units you may see on eBay. You can't go wrong buying it through Ted Porter at the BeemerShop -- though they are currently on a backorder status.

HTH,

Never heard of this product before, but it seems like a nice thing to have on the road. I don't leave home without the GS911 when I take one of the 'modern' BMW's on a trip.

Your bikes definitely are listed on the GS911 models page.

I have the GS911, and it will work with the 'modern' BMW's I have. In fact, I'm sitting in my shop, just got done with oil change and a brake bleed on one of the GS's. No faults, and the ABS was purged. :)

My question was on the Burns Moto jumper. It did list a couple of the R bikes, but not the C or the 850.

I plan on picking up the jumper, nice addition to the kit, just in case. Just wanted to see if it would work with the other two I have.

I made my bypass from the old unit. That way it's plug and play. (Or ride)
Yours runs outside the fairing and into the cigarette lighter. So I guess you have a wire hanging down the side of the bike.
Also, with plug n play, it runs on off with the key.
dc

hey alan

how many miles you have on your RT when the failure happened? wondering how cost effective it is to get the bypass cable for a nearly new RT. thanks

12k. I had it a year, and got it with 4000. A 2008.
I knew it would go out. At the time it went out, I thought that was it. I had heard about it, but I hadn't done the research. I thought I had more time before it went out.
dc

My question was on the Burns Moto jumper. It did list a couple of the R bikes, but not the C or the 850.

Oilheads did not have the fuel pump controller which when they fail causes a need for a bypass cable. On the oilheads there was no fuel pump controller to bypass. The FPC came with the hexheads and wedge K bikes.

The part that fails is 16 14 7 720 776 and this link (realoem) will show the bikes were that part is used.

hey alan

how many miles you have on your RT when the failure happened? wondering how cost effective it is to get the bypass cable for a nearly new RT. thanks

First one went out at 14,000. Second one at 35000 (3 years later) I was amazed at the amount of water in the connection. Not what you see when you look at the controller, but the connection after you remove the two screws attaching the controller to the bike. When the new one arrives I'll pack that connection with Dielectric grease.

I'm really not sure why we need this controller in the first place.

I don't either, but let me tell you what I know.
It may have to do with the life of the pump, or the pressure in the system, or the heat on the pump.
The controller is nothing but an on off switch which runs the pump at either 100% voltage, or 80% voltage. (Or juice, I'm not sure)
I think it's based on the draw needed for fuel pressure, such as when you get on the throttle. It then goes to 100%. And otherwise to 80%.
Like a pressure regulator of sorts, even tho' there is an official other pressure regulator.
I think.
dc

Just updated the GS911 to the 1207 beta. All went smoothly. Interesting (new?) "Coding" section now that allows you to change the units displayed from MPH to KPH.

Note: I am running the beta on a MacBook Pro with OS 10.7.4 in a Fusion-based virtual machine running Windows 7 Pro. I had absolutely NO problems with the new USB driver installation, but a number of folks have. I believe there is some issue with updating using an "unsigned" USB driver on the Windows XP OS.

I believe HexCode are working on that...

Wish the diagnostics could be run on an iPhone. :doh

I purchased my GS911 back in 2008. I got the USB equipped model before all the rage with smartphones (with me anyway). I wish I had got the bluetooth model, as it would be so much easier than toting a laptop around on long trips.

Back