• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2000 BMW R1100SA for $4900 - is it a good idea?

barthes

Hello all! New to the forum, and BMW bikes. Hoping that I'm posting this in the right section, and that some of you might be able to put my mind at ease that i am getting a good deal.

large.jpg

I am buying a 2000 BMW R1100SA for $4900. It has 32000 miles on it and removable side bags kinda worn rick mayer leather seat, removable rear seat cowl, heated grips, rubber chicken timing chain tensioner and a new front tire. They are willing to include a 500 mile or 3 month warrantee with the bike. and had it looked over and tested by one of their mechanics that says it's in good working order and rides great. Going to test ride the bike and hopefully buy it in the next day or so. Actually hoping to get some additional help- such as the inclusion of a free track day as part of the deal- but we will see. Of course I will ride it first to see how it feels.

One of the things which bothers me is that the receipts end in 2006- there was a full BMW certified tuneup and replacement of worn parts then at the local dealership- but that was at 2300 miles- and there is no documentation of anything since then.

Please let me know if the price seems fair, and if there is anything I should be aware of that I will be able to notice is wrong with the bike when taking it for a test ride. Or if there are any other recommendations you may have for me in terms of checking the bike out or getting in writing from the dealer.

I am 40 years old, and haven't gotten on a bike in ten years! But am really looking forward to this, and am ready to take it slow. Safety first.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Seems to be about the going rate for that bike. I would buy it in a heartbeat if my wife didn't ride with me most of the time. I love that style, but my RT is a better bike for the two of us. Like anything else pre-owned you don't really have a history to go by. I guess you just take it for a nice test ride include some city type driving as well as some highway miles and see if you like it. I bought my 04 RT used with 9600 miles on it in 06. It now has 55,000 on it and I have replaced both stick coils. I keep up with the fluid changes, valve and throttle body adjustments and so forth. My RT has been trouble free and a blast to ride. Anytime someone has a problem with a bike it is all over the internet, you don't hear many stories about the many trouble free bikes out there.

I am buying a 2000 BMW R1100SA for $4900.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. :laugh

If you've taken it for a ride and its not doing anything untoward, then it seems like a fair price for THE BEST MOTORCYCLE EVER MADE BY BMW.

But I'm biased.

Nah, you don't want it, especially in that color...who's selling it? :)

Ha! Not crazy about the color either- but think it's a decent price, and if it rides good- think I may get it over with so that I can stop shopping- and start riding. Found a dealer that is selling it- so it's got a warrantee which is nice. Will tell you where after I get it ;)

Will be looking for some good BMW mechanics near Brooklyn. Hoping to go to the dealership in Manhattan to make see if they are offering any good deals- and see if I can test ride some models for a baseline. Would prefer to get a newer BMW R 1200 GS Adventure... but they are a bit outside of my price range. Think I'll zip around on this guy for a year or two- and see at that point about buying a new machine.

Thanks for the help!!!

/b

Offer the dealer what you think is the price that you would take it without reservation and see what they say. Can't hurt to try. But remember it is an 11 year old bike.

Offer the dealer what you think is the price that you would take it without reservation and see what they say. Can't hurt to try. But remember it is an 11 year old bike.

thanks moralem. i will see if there is anything more he can do. honestly think it's a pretty fair price- and a good bike barring any surges during the test ride. wondering if i can take it out for over an hour to see how it handles after a warmup.

thanks for all the encouragement.

/b

I would be more comfortable with $4500 as the price. You know there are going to be issues with a 12-13 year old bike. Maybe you could get them to swap all the fluids out or install Spiegler braided brake lines if you pay full purchase price.

I would be more comfortable with $4500 as the price. You know there are going to be issues with a 12-13 year old bike. Maybe you could get them to swap all the fluids out or install Spiegler braided brake lines if you pay full purchase price.

Actually having a really hard time making my mind up- they offered to sell it to me for $4500 plus tax and fees bringing it up to $5000. To help me decide though- they threw in 20% off all gear. Thinking I can find cheaper gear online even given the discount though.

Going to make an offer on this bike:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/machine/details.aspx?ID=4340

Any thoughts would definitely be appreciated!

Thanks,

/b

Offer $4,500 and insist on 3 months warranty. You'll burn up 500 miles in weekend on that thing! Trust me, 500 miles is nothing so go for the 3 months. Just in case...

Barthes:

Welcome.

I would pass on this bike for the following reasons:

1. colour is not one of the more popular ones
2. mileage is getting up there
3. gap in document history

There are garage queens out there, as many Oiler owners have moved into Hexheads.

Keep in mind that the S and R are specialty models; so reselling is more work than for an RT or a GS.

Take your time; I think you can do better than this.

Last edited:
I'd buy it for $4500. Just so you know, there's a small, but not insignificant chance the bike has bad clutch splines. It's pretty easy to check them if you're mechanically adept. Tell them you'll give them $4600, but they need to have a mechanic pull the starter off and let you inspect the splines.

Then, pull in the clutch and tie it off. Look in the starter hole. Use a thin screwdriver to turn the clutch. See if the clutch and transmission input shaft turn in unison. If yes, you're good-to-go. If not, don't buy it.

think i'm going to go with the BMW dealership deal - seems like a better chance that the bike will be trouble free. super excited- can't wait to be riding! hope to head to ct in the next day or two. will check back in then.

Going to make an offer on this bike:

Any thoughts would definitely be appreciated!

Thanks,

/b

Seems like a clean unit. Dual plug head is a good thing. Low mileage is even better.

Off topic question: Does anyone make an R90S or R100S-type headlight fairing for the R1150R or R1200R bikes? Would seem like a natural, to me.

Seems like a clean unit. Dual plug head is a good thing. Low mileage is even better.

Off topic question: Does anyone make an R90S or R100S-type headlight fairing for the R1150R or R1200R bikes? Would seem like a natural, to me.

Parabellum does, they do a lot of fairings for BMWs so they'll color match it exactly. My brother in law has one on his '12 r1200r, it looks pretty damn good. Don't have any pics on my phone though

I think you will enjoy the RR. I have an 03 RR with over 27000 miles that I really have enjoyed. Its never let me down, however last year I noticed the insulation was cracking on a lot of the wiring harness. I just went out and got an old bicycle inner tube, split it and did some creative engineering. The Germans have never been known for their wiring prowness.

I saw this one at the National, but I don't know who makes it.

P1000071_Custom_.JPG

Back