• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dual Sporting

dukekaboom

One Man Wolfpack
Dear BMW MOAers,

I have a 2009 K1300S which is an exceptional interstate bomber but I do wish I had a bike that could go off-road as well. For me this means dirt and gravel roads as well as where there are no roads (i.e., sagebrush and so on). But I don't want a hardcore trails only bike because I still want to be able to get to the trails (I don't believe in trailers).

My buddy is researching the same issue and has challenged me to find a bike that we can do the TAT (Trans-America Trail) or at least find a bike that's up for something like it. I was peeked up about waiting for the new water-cooled R1250GSA but that's a lot of bike -- both in terms of mass and cost.

So I'm putting it out there for you single- and twin-cylinder Beemer guys... what is the best bike and what is the best BMW to consider for something like what I've described? Thanks.

Kent

Kawasaki KLR 650. Cheap, light, (relative)and enough power for all but the fastest interstates, and parts are so readily available you can get them at WalMart! (a complete exageration of course)

Not to be hogging the replies, but I have seen guys ride KLR's to a hare scramble, take off the hard cases and race the bike, then ride it back home.

Dualsport = compromise - what are your your priorities?

The KLR is a pretty good choice. A big GS could probably do most or all of the TAT with the right rider, as could a 990 KTM. If it were me looking for my ideal bike for that route, it would be a 2003 or newer KTM 640 ADV with a FCR carb or maybe a 690 with a Rallye fairing and some significant engine protection. I've also heard of guys running 400 - 560 cc enduro bikes on the route and I've put over 50 miles of highway on a 300cc two stroke connecting trails before. It is a matter of how much you want to carry and whether you want to have an easier time off road or a more comfortable time on the gravel road sections. BMW F & G series bikes could also be good choices.

Happy to have been completely unhelpful.

Advrider ride report on father and son KLR trip
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804107

Last edited:
Ask a GS rider and the answer is definitely a GS. The 800 is a good choice.

I also have a KLR but the GS is my go-to bike for any type of travel.

Back