• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Maine coast trip suggestions?

ken e

Ken
Starting (late) to plan a post labor day visit to mid-coast / Acadia area of Maine. Never been there, looks nice, got a few books and maps to study.

Anyone have any good suggestions for lodging / food / or sites to see? Any and all reasonably priced (I'm cheep but got to keep the wife happy) suggestions will be appriciated.

Looking to base out of the Belfast or Bucksport or Ellsworth on or near US1, then spend day trips to Acadia national park and the many coastal areas.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Stay on Mount Desert Island (MDI). No reason to be anywhere else, you can stop briefly in those other places on the way by. MDI can keep you busy for a lifetime. This is from this morning in Acadia NP:

7612693218_c87d4e695b_b.jpg

As is this:

7612754780_010dd377a0_b.jpg

And this:

7612764424_d4da1c37f7_b.jpg

I like the first KOA campground on the island. Apparently there are two on the island. Bar Harbor is one of my favorite destinations. Whale watching is nice. Lobster dinners are probably as cheap as you'll find anywhere.

You'll want to ride up Cadillac Mountain while in Acadia National Park.

Camden, Maine is another nice spot. I enjoyed going out on a boat for a few hours.

Harry

We've stayed here a few time on the way to Canada. Nice little cottages with a King bed

http://www.seascapemotel.com/

Darby's in town is a great place to eat.

Just north on Rte 1 is Fort Knox Sate Park. Ride the elevator up for great views.

Lubec, Maine is a nice day trip, the eastern most point is US with Campobello Island right there (need your passport)

Stop in to Cohill's Inn for some great food and people. We stayed there for 2 night in June
and had a great time

Just got back from a tour of the maritime provinces. It'd be a shame NOT to go just an hour or two farther and cross over into NB and see some of the Bay of Fundy. Beware, though, the roads in New Brunswick are either 1) in bad shape, or 2) under construction. But nice riding and not crowded at all.

One or two suggestions. . . higher up on Route 1. .

Cross to Canada at Lubec, not Calais, and see Campobello island, then take the Deer Island Ferries (Campobello to Deer Island, and Deer Island to Letete) and you will get a very inexpensive coastal water tour and nice break from riding. Any of the NB Fundy coastal villages are cool to see, with great seafood, and much less touristy than farther south in Maine.

Also--highly recommended lodging in Maine . .. a spot that will always be my future stopping point on this route. . .we stayed in Machiasport at the MicMac Farm guest houses-- incredibly peaceful little full-kitchen cottages on a farm but situated right on the water; there's a supermarket a mile away in Machias but also a terrific family-style restaurant (the Blue Bird Ranch), inexpensive and highly recommended. Neither is fancy, but one of the nicer stops we've had.

And. . if you like beer, when in Maine you have to try Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat. . .

(my son on his Wee at the MicMac cottages . .. the water in the background is a tidal inlet )

Attachments

• MicMacFarmSmall.jpg
    MicMacFarmSmall.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 303
We just returned from an end-of-June trip to Acadia and "Bah Habah".

So much to see and do there! The NP is incredible with many good (and some easy) hiking trails. The Ocean Trail (easy) runs along the shore line and gives spectacular views of the coast (see below) and the rock cliffs. It starts at Sandy Beach and ends at Otter Point. Visit Thunder Hole as high tide is approaching for a "refreshing" stop. Also, there are a vast network of Carriage Roads meant for casual walking and bicycling; rent bikes in town, put them on the bike shuttle bus to the NP and spend the day riding in the woods. Stop at the Jordan Pond House for tea and pop-overs. As AKsuited said, rise early (4:00 am) one of the mornings and drive up Cadillac Mtn. to watch the sun rise. Kind of a festival atmosphere up there -- being the first folks in the US to see the sun rise.

There are also many boat excursions: a windjammer cruise, a whale watch, and (our favorite) a trip to Baker Island with a NP Ranger (Kirk) who talks about the history of the seacoast and the first family to inhabit the island in the early 1800s. He is actually a descendant of the Baker family! You can stroll through the main part of the island, look at where the Baker's established a homestead and, later, kept the island's lighthouse. Pack a bag lunch (and water!) and follow the wooded trail across the island to the unique (and very rocky) Storm Beach area. The whole trip takes about 6+ hours. Aboard the ship, the Ranger and Captain Ott will also give you an in-depth look at lobster fishing and the lobsters themselves.

There are a number of good restaurants downtown and more boutiques than you can shake a dead president at. Get some delicious soft-serve (and regular) ice cream on Main St across from the Town Square. Then, listen to the music from the bands that perform at the Town Square's gazebo.

We stayed at the Best Western Acadia Park Inn on Rt. 3 about 5 miles outside of town and on the egde of Acadia. We LOVED the place as it is moderately priced (compared with in-town lodging), laid-back, and has all the amenities. Yes, you're away from downtown, but you aren't paying $250 a night and you don't have to put up with the traffic. They welcome motorcycle tourers and have coin-op laundry facilities. HERE is the link to Trip Advisor and the reviews of the Acadia Inn; ours is in there somewhere. Call the front desk and talk with Maria; she is FABULOUS!

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_4772.jpg
    IMG_4772.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 302
Cross to Canada at Lubec, not Calais

I get the point about the Campobello and Deer Island detour, however, the new crossing at Calais has only been open a year or so and is fast and sweet, unlike the old nightmare, but yeah, if you've got the time cross to Deer Island at Campobello or Eastport.

We used both (Lubec and Calais) on this trip and I agree the new crossing at Calais is MUCH better than the dreadful old one downtown; I just cant resist the funky old Deer Island ferry (the pilot house is hinged and flips 180 degrees so the ferry doesnt have to turn around). The spectacular roadway they've built for about 10 miles on the NB side of Calais is something to behold, also. . .on a scale worthy of our Army Corps of Engineers. And I was reminded that the Airline (Route 9) is a very nice ride.

Yeah, the ferry is pretty cool. I don't have a pict of the whole boat, but do have the pilot house from my August 2007 NS trip.

7625010370_884171b9db_c.jpg

Great info and pictures! Lots of options to plan. Thanks to all!
A day hike would be a good ÔÇ£stretch the legs dayÔÇØ, with a Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat beer after.

Will tie-downs be necessary to pack for the ferry?

Great info and pictures! Lots of options to plan. Thanks to all!
A day hike would be a good ÔÇ£stretch the legs dayÔÇØ, with a Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat beer after.

Will tie-downs be necessary to pack for the ferry?

Tie-downs are not needed for the ferry.

I stayed in a cabin at Harris Point a few years back and enjoyed it. The cabin and furniture were definitely not Ritzy, but the location and price was incredible.

main.php

We went from Eastport to Canada via the aforementioned ferries and definitely felt that side trip was worth it. The ferry's method of switching direction of travel was also pretty interesting.

main.php

If you are doing Acadia National Park, take a ride around to Schoodic Point, part of the Natl Park but separated by Frenchman's Bay. Much quieter, very scenic with views of Cadillac Mountain across the Bay.

If you are going further downeast, see Lubec, ME and Campobello (Canadian so bring your passport!) In Lubec is West Quoddy Head Light, the eastern-most point in the USA and the park there has a fantastic walking trail along the ocean cliffs. Out at the far end of Campobello is East Quoddy Light, also a spectacular spot.

Further downeast? Take the ferry (it's quaint!) from Campobello to Eastport, ME or to Deer Island, NB, ride to the other end and ferry back to mainland NB. Check the schedule for that one; it's bigger but doesn't run as often.

Camping? Cobscook Bay State Park is right off US Rt 1 in Whiting, ME. Camp sites on the water fill up fast. In NB camp at Fundy Park in Alma, NB. Going to Nova Scotia? Take the ferry from St. John, NB to Digby, NS ( the high speed "Cat" ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth doesn't run anymore)

And by the way, if you are heading downeast or back, and want to trade US 1 (RVs, trucks, four wheelers, etc.) for some superslab, take ME Rt 9 from Bangor/Brewer east-west to Calais. It's a fun ride.

OK, I'll shut up now and be quietly jealous.

pete

The lighthouse depicted on the quarter for Maine is based on the Pemaquid Point Light located near Bristol, Maine.

My grown daughter and I visited there several years ago while my wife watched the grand kids. We found it to be quite interesting. A short way north of there, we stayed in a bed and breakfast that overlooked a fishing harbor. Sorry, can't remember the name of the place...there were lots of decent mom and pop places to choose from.

We went to a local seafood restaurant that the boats backed up to and unloaded...my daughter enjoyed her first lobster dinner there.:wave

Good Info...
I'm headed up there Labor day week as well... and am camping on Campobello at Herring Cove Provincial Park. Any experiences with this place?

I plan on also spending a full day around Lubec & Machias checking out the sights so I've got 2 nights on the island.

We did the Lubec cross over to Campobello in July - stopped at the little ferry to go over & talked to bikers going over to NB - we just did the light house & Campobello grounds for the day. Tom - I have not seen the new cross over at Calais - I do remember getting stuck in the log jam before crossing over & taking turns at the gas station & food stop at the crossing - where we saved spots for people to goto the bathroom.get food.

thanks for the info

Thanks to all for the pointers, had a great trip, 2708 miles in 10 days.
Rolled in labor day. Found http://www.bassharborcottages.com/ on the quiet side with the help of the chamber of commerce, were the only ones there. Inn keepers rides a K75.
Made it to Cadillac Mtn, the beach, Bar Harbor when a cruse ship was not in, Seal Cove Auto (and MC and bicycle) museum, and Schoodic pennisula.
Went up to 9 and east to US1 for lunch at Cohill's Inn at Lubec then a hike off 191 to the coast at Grand Manan Channel.
Blueberry pancakes were good, as was the local beer. Lobster was cheep at $3.75 - 4.00/lb live. If you want it cooked and with a few sides, then dinner for 2 went up to $40.
Can't wait to go again....

Attachments

• 188_1.JPG
    188_1.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 122
Back