• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r1100rt and eunichs

Bmandiego

I've been noticing lately that the seat on my r1100rt sometimes makes the decision that I should be a eunich.
Since this bike is used, I don't know what they padded the seat with when it was recovered.
But still....
Anyone else have this problem?
Is there some fix that will not cost mucho dinero?
Thanks for the help, I've never made a good soprano.

1100RT seats are not level and as such they cause you to slide forward until pain informs you that you've gone far enough. They are on a forward incline.

This can be fixed by getting a different seat which is costly but effective or you can place some material under the seat adjuster jack to increase the height of the front of the seat a little.

I have a set of seat jacks in my spare parts somewhere that add about a 1/4" of height to the front of the seat and they made a noticeable difference. They are made of poly propylene I think or some soft white plastic anyway.

I also removed the stock rubber bumpers from the back of the seat and found some same diameter thick rubber hose material that I used to lower the back of the seat about a 1/4" as well and both together leveled my seat out which stopped this problem pretty effectively.

Must be some strange riding position that BMW engineers seem to favor, this sliding into the front of the seat issue. My 94 RS had the exact same issue when I first started riding it. Back then I did much the same thing mentioned above.

I have noticed this on most all non-airhead BMWs I have ridden. The German engineers perhaps set up the seat for riding at Autobahn speeds above 160k and figure the rest of the world can just live with it.

so is this what has been referred to as the dreaded "beemer boner"? I'm going to try Seating Concepts recover. biggest beef I have with my 1150gs is sliding forward like that and the SC eliminates a lot of the slope.

so is this what has been referred to as the dreaded "beemer boner"? I'm going to try Seating Concepts recover. biggest beef I have with my 1150gs is sliding forward like that and the SC eliminates a lot of the slope.

Seat Concepts is a big topic over on the F650.com website right now.

To maintain that manly basso profundo, fab two spacers like this to install under the forward seat mounts before dropping the bucks on a custom seat.
Material can be anything that doesn't rust or rot.
Yes you'll need four slightly longer screws.
You can also trim the two big rear bumpers down by about 1/8" or so (the "dome" section) - more than that, and the seat will rock back and forth, and mating the rear section becomes iffy.

Attachments

• R11Spacer.jpg
    R11Spacer.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 169
Thanks Paul!
Nice diagram.
I did put some washers under the seat mount today, They were thin, because I did not have any longer screws. It did make a difference, not sure if it's a good or bad thing yet. I'll have to get some longer screws and have another go at it. I suspect the seat also has the wrong type of foam as well. It's a bit too firm.
I think if I can get this seat worked out, it may solve a few problems I've been having.
Anyone have a spare R1100RT Seat hanging around?

Some guy on ebay had a set of these for $20.00 with the screws included.
Shaweeet.
I had been having problems with seat pressure and hand numbness/pain in the clutch hand.
Here's what I modified:
1. Bought the neoprene grip covers
2. Bought and installed a pair of 3/8 inch aluminum (aluminium for Brits!) seat mount spacers.
3. Bought a used r1100rt seat for $70.00 on ebay. Mine had been reupholstered with some really dense foam, so I cannot stay comfortable and retain my masculinity. :eek
These changes have made the bike much more rideable and comfortable. I still get monkey butt after a couple hours on the bike, but it is much much much better.
...I'm going to try some underarmour boxers next.
Thanks for your posts guys!

Nope, I have tried a wide variety of "riding shorts" of varying "technology" and price, and not a single one does what they advertise and what I need. In every single case, swamp-butt sets in.

Nothing,....nothing works for me but good ol' airflow under the butt. Cheapest alternative is a bead-seat, but I don't care for the looks. Other end of the spectrum is the Kontour seat system, at about $700 minimum to fit my RS. A great, proven idea but just to pricey when I plan to move on to a different R-bike in a few years. I'll spend the money for a Kontour seat on that bike.

For now, my own custom built/home built airflow seat is working better than the stock seat I built it from. I'll ride it for now until I finally move up to a much newer R-bike with a Kontour seat.

+1 on raising the front.
Go to a woodworking store and get a piece of plastic used for making jigs. Easy to cut and shape, durable, wont degrade, and waterproof. Best stuff to use.

BTW, I used the same stuff to make non-maring grips for my HF tire changer... works like a charm.

Nope, I have tried a wide variety of "riding shorts" of varying "technology" and price, and not a single one does what they advertise and what I need. In every single case, swamp-butt sets in.

Nothing,....nothing works for me but good ol' airflow under the butt. Cheapest alternative is a bead-seat, but I don't care for the looks. Other end of the spectrum is the Kontour seat system, at about $700 minimum to fit my RS. A great, proven idea but just to pricey when I plan to move on to a different R-bike in a few years. I'll spend the money for a Kontour seat on that bike.

For now, my own custom built/home built airflow seat is working better than the stock seat I built it from. I'll ride it for now until I finally move up to a much newer R-bike with a Kontour seat.

OK so that's one vote against. But there are 42 testimonials on the site and you can count me as one more that say they do help move moisture away from your body and that is a good thing...

I stand up on my pegs at 60mph once in a while to get airflow as well. :nyah

Have you tried a sheepskin seat cover? http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/StoreFront

You would be amazed at how much air flow it lets through. This is what I rode the 1000 miles in 105 degrees for the rally along with mesh tex pants and adidas moisture wicking boxer briefs I picked up cheap at Kohls. I was comfy as hell.

YBMV
- your butt may vary :rofl

Back