• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Boots

You haven't said whether you want to wear your pants inside or outside of the boots. I have a pair of Danner logging type boots which are not motorcycle specific but they are stout footwear, lace up snug to my foot, and are gore-tex lined. They're about an 8 inch boot, very comfortable on/off the bike. Ridden thousands+ miles and completely satisfied.

As for Aerostich combat lites, I'll have a pair soon. I like the idea of being able to cinch them tight with the inner speed laces. They will require a good waterproofing as they are plain (very stout) leather.

Last edited:
If you tuck your pants into the boots when it's raining, seems that would guarantee wet feet.

Yes, of course. One would assume the rider that wears their boots on the outside of riding pants, like leathers, would have a rain suit handy.

Sidi Adventure Gor-Tex. Been riding for over 40 years and these are the best I have ever had. Great all around. Expensive but can be resoled and will outlast four pairs of cheaper boots. My 2cts worth.

Aerostich Combat Lites

After being a boot-whore for years I finally bought a pair of Aerostich Combat-Lites, and after nearly two years and 30,000 miles I can say that they're the best riding boots I've ever owned.

They aren't advertised as "water-proof," and they do not have Gore-Tex, but they're made of thick quality leather. I put Sno-Seal on them every few months and my feet have never been wet even in heavy rains. Also, my experience with Gore-Tex is that the stiching attaching the Gore-Tex to the boot eventually fails and the boot becomes leaky. That happened with several pair of Gore-Tex boots that I've worn. After wearing the Combat Lites, I'm convinced that quality leather plus Sno-Seal is the way to go.

That, and they're cooler in the summer than Gore-Tex lined boots. My feet breathe better in the Combat Lites than in my Oxtar Airtech mesh boots lined with Gore-Tex. In fact, I used to wear one pair of boots in the winter and the Airtechs in the summer. No more. I wear the Combat Lites year round.

A lot of people will say that they're too stiff, take too long to break in, too heavy for walking, etc..., but that's not been my experience. When new they are stiff, but after a couple of weeks of daily wear they're already molding to your feet. They don't require any of the more bizarre things you'll read, like dunking them in water and walking around in them. Just wear them and let them break in. I frequently wear them all day at the office and my feet have never been uncomfortable. I wouldn't go on a five mile mountain hike in them, but I've worn them on all day rides where I've walked quite a few miles over the course of the day, and my feet have never felt bad.

The retention system is the best. The inner laces that tighten the boot under the velcro works very well.

I've worn BMW All-Rounds, Oxtar Matrix (the two are very similar), Cruiserworks boots, BMW ProTouring, and some kind of Sidi Touring boot with Gore-Tex, and I'll stick with the Combat Lites.

BTW, I got and prefer the cleated soles. I'll probably have them re-soled next spring as the left sole is getting a bit smooth.

I wrote a lengthy review a couple of months after I got them which you can find using the search function. Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Last edited:
I have Vendramini's and like them. I have went for 5 mile walks in them with no problem. Had them for 5 years and still look decent.

After being a boot-whore for years I finally bought a pair of Aerostich Combat-Lites, and after nearly two years and 30,000 miles I can say that they're the best riding boots I've ever owned.

They aren't advertised as "water-proof," and they do not have Gore-Tex, but they're made of thick quality leather. I put Sno-Seal on them every few months and my feet have never been wet even in heavy rains. Also, my experience with Gore-Tex is that the stiching attaching the Gore-Tex to the boot eventually fails and the boot becomes leaky. That happened with several pair of Gore-Tex boots that I've worn. After wearing the Combat Lites, I'm convinced that quality leather plus Sno-Seal is the way to go.

That, and they're cooler in the summer than Gore-Tex lined boots. My feet breathe better in the Combat Lites than in my Oxtar Airtech mesh boots lined with Gore-Tex. In fact, I used to wear one pair of boots in the winter and the Airtechs in the summer. No more. I wear the Combat Lites year round.

A lot of people will say that they're too stiff, take too long to break in, too heavy for walking, etc..., but that's not been my experience. When new they are stiff, but after a couple of weeks of daily wear they're already molding to your feet. They don't require any of the more bizarre things you'll read, like dunking them in water and walking around in them. Just wear them and let them break in. I frequently wear them all day at the office and my feet have never been uncomfortable. I wouldn't go in a five mile mountain hike in them, but I've worn them on all day rides where I've walked quite a few miles over the course of the day, and my feet have never felt bad.

The retention system is the best. The inner laces that tighten the boot under the velcro works very well.

I've worn BMW All-Rounds, Oxtar Matrix (the two are very similar), Cruiserworks boots, BMW ProTouring, and some kind of Sidi Touring boot with Gore-Tex, and I'll stick with the Combat Lites.

BTW, I got and prefer the cleated soles. I'll probably have them re-soled next spring as the left sole is getting a bit smooth.

I wrote a lengthy review a couple of months after I got them which you can find using the search function. Good luck, and let us know what you do.

The combat lites are re-soleable and this, to me, is very important. With the exception of the Sidi On Roads the rest of the boots mentioned here are not. My Danners are re-soleable but as I said, they are not motorcycle specific.

BTW, those Aerostich Combats and Combat Lites are made by Sidi.

I have BIG feet, Size 14 extra wide. The only motorcycle dedicated boots I can find are Cruiserworks, and they are quite comfortable and remain waterproof after years of use and being resoled.

Josh

Aerostitch Combat. I waterproofed them before I ever wore them (very much). They've been great for many years and I can walk in them w/ no problem.

+1 on the Gaerne Balance Oiled. Only have about 1000 miles on mine, but love them. VERY comfortable to walk around in. Rode in 106 degree heat last weekend and my feet didn't sweat. Can't comment on the waterproofness yet, though.

Back