• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hepco-Becker bag mounts

Spaulding

Horizontally opposed
I'm trying to find the correct bag mounts for a 1973 R75/5 LWB restoration that I'm working on.

I have the H-B "Krauser" replica bags. They work in the original Krauser mounts on my R90S with a little tweaking to the latch area. Ideally, I'd like to be able to swap the bags back and forth between bikes.

For the R75/5 I'd like to have some mounts with the H-B latches already in them.

But I can't figure out the correct H-B part number for the R75/5 LWB. Or if there is another option I'd consider that too.

I'd also like the mounts to be black rather than chrome. Any help or direction is appreciated!

Is there a /6 version of the racks? IIRC, the LWB /5 rear subframe and attachment points are the same on the /6.

Without a specific part number to offer, I bought my vintage Krausers for my LWB /5 on eBay that were on a /6. They fit fine. Geometry-wise, I would suspect that the new Becker hardware would fit the same.

I had purchased another set, but it turned out they were for the R65; the bottom mounting tab is oriented horizontally (as opposed to vertically for everything else).

Knowing that your new H-B bags fit on old Krauser hardware is interesting information to me since I want to upgrade from my old bags to the new H-Bs.

R65 mounting bracket

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 261
The LWB /5 takes the same bag mounts as a /6 or /7 through 1984. This should help open up your search. The 2 different manufactures today only make them in chrome.

Knowing that your new H-B bags fit on old Krauser hardware is interesting information to me since I want to upgrade from my old bags to the new H-Bs.

Thanks - yes the new H-B cases do fit in the same racks as the old Krausers did, although I did have to add some spacers to the latch area since those weren't lining up correctly at all. It was a bit of a job. I was hoping to be able to leave the old Krauser seatbelt latch on, but it didn't work. So now I can only use the H-B bags. But that's fine, since they are a bit more solid and roomier too!

I was afraid about the chrome option, but I could have them powder coated I guess. I think I know which ones I need now, was hoping for a non-chrome option.

the new H-B cases do fit in the same racks as the old Krausers did, although I did have to add some spacers to the latch area since those weren't lining up correctly at all.

got pics?

Hepco Becker Panniers

I think you can probably get reliable advice from the U.S. Hepco Becker importer, Capital Cycle.

I have found the H&B 'classic' bags and mounts confusing. Capital Cycle is a USA H&B importer and sells the mounts - but not the bags. It seems Adventure Motostuff is also a USA H&B importer that sells mounts - but not the bags.

The BMW bags sold by Max and Bob's appear to be H&B, that is not 100% clear. Those bags do not come with mounts, other than BMW. Outside the USA, Moto-Bins is a H&B retailer and claims to sell a H&B bag for airheads that fits a H&B mount. But that bag has different specifications than the H&B BMW bag. Siebenrock sells the mounts and H&B bags and is the most clear of all the vendors.

Apparently, H&B does not have the motivation to put the airhead bags and mounts information in an online catalog. Ebay seems to sell several of the H&B mounts for airheads - but they are not my first choice for buying items of that sort. The USA importers do not sell the bags, but they may be able to confirm that a specific H&B frame will fit a /5 airhead and the 'classic' bag. If nothing else, it's much easier to ship back a product bought in the USA.

Last edited:
I had to replace my original 1982 BMW bags that had the seat belt buckle latch last year.I got the H&B from MAX. Everything i read about them said that they would work on my original mounts. The pictures I was able to see did not show the type of latch that held them to the mount. On my R65 had the original BMW mounts I mounted the latch to the tabs this mount had. I had replace the buckle latch on the original bags to the claw type latch on the new style bags back in 85. My R90 has the Reynolds mounts and these do not have the tabs to mount the H&B latch. I welded tabs on so I could mount them. Now and can swap bags between bikes.

Okay, now I'm totally confused. . . . .. . is they is, or is they isn't compatible old mounting frames?

How about some photos to tie all of this information together?

Okay, now I'm totally confused. . . . .. . is they is, or is they isn't compatible old mounting frames?

How about some photos to tie all of this information together?

Krauser saddlebags(70's-80's) These are the ones with the BMW logo that were available from a BMW dealer only.

Fit:
All BMW mounts
All Reynolds mounts with the long brace welded to the back of the mount
All Krauser tube steel mounts
All Krauser cast mounts
All Siebenrock mounts

Krauser saddlebags without a place for the logo and one lock centered in the middle of the lid.

Fit:
All BMW mounts
All Krauser cast mounts

Reproduction Krausers made by Hepco & Becker for Siebenrock in Germany.
Fit:
All BMW mounts
All Siebenrock mounts

Does not fit:
All Krauser cast mounts
Any saddlebag mounts made by Hepco & Becker.

My experience comes from being the Hepco & Becker US distributor for 12 years, Krauser distributor and and importer of Siebenrock products for 10 years and I have been to the factory where these are made. I hope this is helpful

To add a photo of Krauser bags and mounts:

This appears to be a cast Krauser mount and seems identical to the mounts on my /7. These mounts will not work with the Siebenrock H&B reproduction Krauser bags?

Attachments

• krauser bags and mounts.JPG
    krauser bags and mounts.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
To add a photo of Krauser bags and mounts:

This appears to be a cast Krauser mount and seems identical to the mounts on my /7. These mounts will not work with the Siebenrock H&B reproduction Krauser bags?

They will fit but you have to push them into the mounts really really hard and I have seen the latch plate not line up properly.

Despite the warnings, I ordered a set of the Hepco & Becker bags from Seibenrock. What arrived were bags labeled Krauser with H&B latches in a box labeled Krauser from Germany. Attached are a photo's of the box, my mounts, and the mounted bags.

They fit perfectly with only needing the seat-belt blade replaced with the claw latch plate. It took five minutes - then a few more after a test ride to loctite all the screws.

Siebenrock_Krauser_box_zps293049d4.jpg

Seibenrock_krauser_bags_zps8e2d56b4.jpg

R80_7-krauser_mounts_zps06226a21.jpg

Back