• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trailering to the rally ?

I hope this does not cause all you long distance rider to get your panties in a twist, but I was wondering ??

Do BMW riders ever trailer their bikes to the big rally' s or at least near, and then ride in ??

I am considering buying a trailer to do just this.
Several of the guys in my Triumph group have started doing this.

I did it a couple of times , feeling comfortable in the heat/rain while driving the car I liked it, arrived fresh , full of energy and enjoyed my time better than if i had ridden all the way.

Unfortunately the trailer I had , I could not load /unload by myself so i sold it.
I am now considering getting replacement that allows me that luxury.

Wife and I are staying in one of the serpa tents for the rally (should be real interesting). I can guarantee that if we had an RV, we would trailer our bike and be staying in that bad boy. Talk bad about me while I'm sitting in the ac, see if I care. :)

I will say , it felt a bit odd to trailer a bike the last time I did, it was race bikes not road bikes, but that was a long time ago.

But then when it was 95+ out and i saw the riders on the freeway and none were smiling getting to the rally .
Then on the way home it was close to 90 and pouring rain, there i was behind the wheel in the a/c enjoying myself. The riders were like drowned fish out there.

I guess the old adage is true ; I'm built for comfort not speed anymore.:thumb

Not in a Wad a toll

Lets See, AC on in a truck pulling the bikes.. Sounds good to me.

Who cares what anyone else thinks.

Just don't claim you did ride.

I made it into IA from AK by riding, last push starts in the morning. Just figured out Sunday that the heat DID Bite me. Feel a LOT better now!

Stay Safe out there..

I ran into a couple a few years back that told me they always trailered their bikes to rallies, so they could ride when they got there. Whereas their friends would ride out and then not want to ride when they got there.

To each their own. I try not to judge, or act like I'm more of a man. This is my first trip that it will take more than one day to get where I'm going. The conditions will not be ideal, but we'll see how it goes.

My thinking is;
if i can ride there "comfortably" in a day, then i will ride.

If it takes longer no matter the weather I'm trailering

I never thought it would come to this, but if i want to keep riding I need to make some adjustments and this seems like a good compromise.:thumb

We've trailered the bike behind the motorhome to 2 national rallies. It works out really well when we plan on spending extra time in and around the rally area and don't want to tent camp. Vermont was a great rally for us - we spent about 5 days camped north of Stowe, and then came down to camp at the rally grounds when the rally got under way.

To each his own.

Do what you're comfortable with, that's all that matters. Just see how many of your buddies ask if there's room on the trailer flr the return trip!
Wife & I have been on the road visiting family & camping for the last 11 days, taking our time, relaxing when we need a break from the heat. It's been pretty nice camping in Arkansas the last week.

Didn't bring a bike to Bloomsburg, brought the non-riding spouse. Our 1st Vac together in 17 yrs. This yr, I'm going solo and trailering a bike and staying some 60+ miles away in an air conditioned motel. After bilateral carpal tunnel surgeries and recent skin cancer excision, I'm not able to do the long distance rides yet. But looking forward to riding the bike around the area of Sedalia and Lake of the Ozarks!
So, any way you can get there is OK by me!
See you there!:thumb
Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

It would never cross my mind to trailer a bike to a motorcycle rally, let alone drive an RV there.. and I once read on these forums that a motorcycle is a luxury.

Then again, I've never had a working AC in a car, so what do I know? Do what you want.

As I age the thought of trailering a bike is not as offensive to me. This year the rally is closer than any rally we have been to. My riding partner and I usually do 300 mile days then quit. The rally is 350 miles from here. We live in Arkansas so the weather should be about the same as it has been here. Hot. I am a building maintenance mechanic so I have been out a lot this year working on the roof top A/C units. I've been staying outside as much as possible. We have a friend that is supposed to bring a motor home so we might have 2 nights in the motorhome. I know what the heat does I work for the postal service and we have heat talks often this time of year. Once I get out and get used to it I'm ok.Anyway the older I get the more it makes sense to trailer.

We taking our rv with bikes in it but only because my gf is a new rider and we only got a day to get there and day to come back and we taking dogs with us.
We did some longer rides but nothing more then 280 miles a day,again beginner rider.Yes you can call me whatever you want but I will not put my love ones in situations outside their comfort zone.

Back