• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cause of Burnt Valve 1995 R 1100 R ?

J

jackyd

I just had to replace two valves at 63,000 miles. When I asked the mechanic what would cause this problem he stated as long as good maintenance was practiced it was hard to tell, someinmes a lot of stop and go driving will cause it.
I have taken the bike in every 6,000 miles to be profesionally serviced since I purchased it used ( 6500 miles when I pruchased the bike over 4 years ago) and my main riding is weekends in rural areas around Richmond Va. , usually 40 to 100 miles each outing.

Might want to check the injector out for that side. If it was slightly clogged and causing that cylinder to run way too lean ...

valves

do you have access to an infra red thermometer? Get your up to operating temperature then check the exhaust header next to the head on both cylinders. It should be about the same. If not, the problem is still there.

do you have access to an infra red thermometer? Get your up to operating temperature then check the exhaust header next to the head on both cylinders. It should be about the same. If not, the problem is still there.

good idea!
I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new tool.
I need one of those.

It's been theorized that carbon builds up on the piston face, then breaks off and keeps the valve from sealing. A few cycles with a partially opened valve causes the damage.

It's also been theorized that spending time at high rpm keeps carbon from building up. My oilheads have all spent a lot of time above 6000 rpm, and recieve several full-throttle excursions to the rev limiter on a daily basis. YMMV, but it's worked for me for over 250,000 miles.

Both intake and exhaust valves? Likely culprit is lack of clearance on valve adjustment. They could easily have been too tight and as the engine heated up lost full seating on both valves. Carbon build up is normally more on the exhaust side than the intake otherwise.

Running too lean is also a good possibility. Can you get the exhaust examined? When I say that, I mean several states do an exhaust "sniff test" for particulates and such. If you can get to a shop that has the equipment they can tell you if one side is running too lean. It's a better test than simply checking for temperature differences between the jugs.

All of the above, with "Too Tight" being my first thought also.

There are also cases appearing now where too much alcohol in the gas (15%, or just a poor - or possibly more profitable - mix) is burning up our engines.

Back