• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100 not starting except on neutral

jpk1100

The starter does not work when in first gear.

Only in neutral.

Must be something in the sidestand... but where should I look?

Thanks.

JPK1100

Your clutch lever switch has failed.

This switch tells the bike that the clutch lever is pulled in (you wouldn't want it to start with the bike in gear AND the clutch engaged).

61 31 1 459 569 SWITCH $34.42

It is located on the clutch lever perch just below the choke lever. The plug end is under the fuel tank.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks Lee but...

I am leaving Monday morning for the Rally in Sedalia .

Any problem with such a long trip (1600 miles) wiith this problem not fixed?

JPK1100

Or if you stall it with an oncoming truck bearing down on you. (Can be a bitch trying to find neutral in a moment of panic!):bolt

Have fun at the rally. Fix it when you get home.:thumb

Find a dealer along the way and pick up the part. When you get to the rally start taking the bike apart.......stand there and scratch your head......you will have plenty of help.....

If you get lucky like I did on my 85 K100RT the connector under the tank had just worked loose over time. Reconnected this and bike now starts like it should.

I may be mistaken but I thought this is the way it is supposed to work, at least on my R...

Starts fine in any gear as long as the clutch lever is depressed, but if I go into gear and the kickstand is out, the engine shuts off. It also does not start in any gear (only in neutral) even with the lever depressed if the kickstand is out.

Well... Went to Sedalia. Without any problem save the annoyance.

But now is the time to fix the problem.

But how do you take this switch apart? You unscrew or you pull?

JPK1100.

Unscrew. Next to impossible to get wrench on the hex of the switch. The factory usually tightens these way too tight, so they are hard to get out without destroying them. Unplug the connector first, then test with an ohm meter. If it is indeed bad, you might cut off the wire and use a deep socket to remove it. If it's bad, there is no problem if you need to break off the outer part of the switch to get to the hex.

When installing the new one, finger tighten then back off 1/8 turn. It's not going to come unscrewed by itself and will be much easier to remove in the future.

Back