Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil Cooler Cover Wisdom...Yeah or Ney? 2011 R1200RT

Smile Oil Cooler Cover Wisdom...Yeah or Ney? 2011 R1200RT

Greetings all from a BMW newbe.

I'm an old Gold Wing rider who is now enjoying a 2011 R 1200 RT with just a tick under 15,000 miles on her. Love the bike but wonder if it is a good idea to get an oil cooler cover. If my RT takes a rock right in the cooler, would it then be dead on the road, as in catastrophic failure? Would my bike run hot if I installed one? What is your experience?

And if it is a good idea, which one would you guys recommend, and from whom?

Thanks for your thoughts.

When was the last time you hit a rock 3 feet off the ground? If this happens to you then an oil cooler cover is a good idea. Enjoy the Rt.
    Paul
    Stop wrestling with your motorcycle, dance with it.
    2011 R1200RT Traded
    2014 R1200RT fully optioned

The GS and many a dirt biker do use them. Also radiator covers or protectors for the water bikes.
    On my RT you could, and I have thought of putting some screen across the plastic which is about 1 inch in front of the cooler.
    If it's a good size screen, it won't cut down air flow and you won't get any more heat, or less heat dissipation.
    But then I couldn't reach in and brush or flick bugs out of the fins, which may cause more heat or lack of heat dissipation.
    So I haven't done it and won't.
    Plus, 12k miles, with maybe 400 off road, and still no hits, so.
    And, don't forget headlight protectors, fairing protectors, etc.
    Just ride it.
    dc

I put the Touratech protector on my GSA. IT also cuts downs on the bugs getting into the cooler fins. I would recommend you get one some kind of protection.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Rally Rat

Smile

Have a cover on my R1200RT - no negative effect on cooling. Have had it on for years now.

Been behind some trucks that spit stones back at me with the velocity of a sling shot - punching a hole in your oil cooler will shortly end you ride.

Get the cover, and be pro-active about enjoying your travels.

60k miles, no cover, no problems. I ride mostly twisty mountain roads. I don't go for a lot of add on stuff. You can spend a lot of money on gadgets.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Warranty

Is it true that an oil cooler cover will void the bikes warranty?
    Tom Running, 51141 Greenville, WI
    "Love is when you like something as much as your motorcylce." Sonny Barger in Hells Angels
    by Hunter S. Thompson 1966

All that's needed to clean an oil cooler is a few miles in a heavy rain- comes out looking almost new with all traces of dead bugs gone.
    You're not going to hole a cooler 3 ft off the ground. Got a set of 4 of various types practically on the ground on the track car I use the most often that get pelted with a lot of track debris and even those have never had any damage- its just not easy to do.
    Bent fins are easily straightened and there are even tools made exactly for that purpose if you're that anal. But both the tool and the screen are a waste of $. Main reason to use a screen is simply whether or not you like the appearance.
    All screens, even large mesh,have very substantial effects on air flow through them- about 20% for the most open screen (way more than most would suspect) and more for the usual bike screen size. But that's not the same as reducing cooling that much. Its unlikely you would notice much of an impact on engine temps but if for some reason you already run borderline you might find yourself needing to add a fan. There are high quality waterproof 4" fans made for about $70 and while its possible to use cheap computer fans, their durability in extremes would be dubious and they don't move much air. (Best way to compare fans is to look at motor current usage- it takes power to move air- the published CFM specs are often worthless and misleading)

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by TomRunning View Post
    No.

I got one after I saw how much crap built up on the cooler. I went with the AltRider. I've seen a negligible effect on the bike's temperature.

If cleaning is an issue, I shoot hose water in the reverse direction from underneath and it does a great job of removing bugs, esp. if you let them soak a while and then spray.

As for the screens blocking air, I think the overheat issue is at idle or stop and go creepy traffic. If the RT is moving, it cools fine and a 20% blockage like Racer says won't matter. And to iterate, if you have over heat issues at slow speeds in high heat, the fan is needed.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by TomRunning View Post
    Who said it was true?

If you put on a cover which significantly blocks air flow to the cooler, and then suffer an event which causes engine damage result from overheating the oil to the point of causing it to lose its lubricating properties, BMW would have grounds to deny warranty on the engine. But mere installation of a debris shield in front of the cooler is not an automatic warranty-killer.

Note, however, that depending on who is evaluating the warranty claim, its presence would provide the basis for an argument that the cover caused whatever failure for which you are making the warranty claim -- in other words, while the burden is on BMW to show your aftermarket part addition caused the failure, as a practical matter you would have overcome their argument.

That said, in my experience, BMW's regional reps are not in "automatic void" mode. I wouldn't hestitate to put on a free-breathing radiator protector if I felt one was needed.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Oil cooler guard

I got hail damage on my cooler back in June and the fin straightener didn't help much. No overheating issues yet and I've ridden in temps as high as 105 for a couple of hours. If I get a new oil cooler, I'll probably put on the Wunderlich protector as well.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Michael - please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - I've added the info to the thread title. There are several model hexheads, and they use very different oil coolers.. so what applies to your model is somewhat specific. That's one reason to have this info in the thread title, the other is to help other people searching for the same info later on.

Thanks for your cooperation..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Rally Rat

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Michael - please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - I've added the info to the thread title. There are several model hexheads, and they use very different oil coolers.. so what applies to your model is somewhat specific. That's one reason to have this info in the thread title, the other is to help other people searching for the same info later on.

Thanks for your cooperation..
    "Fighting the never-ending battle for truth, justice and the mention of your year & model!"

Your job never ends, does it?!

My 2005 1200RT purchased 2nd hand 6 months ago, has a Wunderlich oil cooler protection on it.
    The bike was purchased at the top of summer here in Australia and ridden hard up our mountain range.
    No overheating issues what so ever.
    Australia N,S,W
    Mid North Coast
    2014 R1200RT LC/SE