• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1996 R1100RT Body parts

jprocess

NOTE: should be R1100RT

And here's the part..:
//http://www.flickr.com/photos/jprocess/7557630332/

Hi,

Bear with me as I try and explain this... I am looking for two replacement body parts. These are the side covers that are black that hang right under the seats, on the side of the bike. They are plastic with twist knobs that secure them to the fairing.

If you know what I'm talking about( I can't for the life of me find what they are called) any idea where I might find replacements? Ebay doesn't seem to have any at the moment...

Also, any idea why these might be gone on a bike? Any thing in particular that might signify... other than a careless owner. :)

Thanks much
-Steve

Last edited:
They are just a side cover, just not fancy. Just keep watching e-bay or contact one of the people who sell alot of Beemer stuff. Theirs one guy in Birmingham, Ala. who in on e-bay all the time. Check with your Dealer also, I don't think those would cost alot. I had them on my 99 1100 RT so I know the pieces your talking about.

Thanks everyone!!

BTW... Picking it up tomorrow. Had to get rid of mine 4 years ago. Found the exact same one 5 miles from home. Looking forward to getting back to riding!

side panels

The right side is the hard one to find it flies off and is gone. The left one for the most part is held on by the center stand lift handle. both if my are also now held on by black wire ties.

The right side is the hard one to find it flies off and is gone. The left one for the most part is held on by the center stand lift handle. both if my are also now held on by black wire ties.

Maybe that's why they started putting on the extra plastic pins on the newer RTs. :scratch My 96 did not have them, my 00 does. Not sure when they changed the side cover design.

Even with the original design though, if they are attached properly at all 3 points I have difficulty seeing how they could just fly off. Mine never did and I rode that bike like I stole it. :thumb

My service guy says that the pins wear down and those puppies fly off all the time. Still have mine, though.

I put a little plumber's grease on the pins. This makes it easier to slide them through the tight rubber grommets. Started doing this after the left side pin busted off while I was wrestling with it. This might help them last longer too I figure.

Picked her up today!!

63K on the odometer. Got her for 3K. Great to be riding again!!! Now I just need those pesky side covers....

-Steve

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 89
wow, she is pretty.
Tires and brakes look nice too.
Are are those brake lines stainless?
I'd say you got a very good deal.
What state are you in?:thumb

Thanks!! Yeah, the previous owner had the stainless lines put in and a new master cylinder.

I'm in Fairfax, VA.

-Steve

I put a little plumber's grease on the pins. This makes it easier to slide them through the tight rubber grommets. Started doing this after the left side pin busted off while I was wrestling with it. This might help them last longer too I figure.

While reinstalling my left side cover, my plastic pin broke off, requiring me to use some rarely used language.

What is the common fix to this, aside from buying another $80 panel?

Back