• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rainy Paranoia

I have done thousands of miles in the rain, maybe even tens of thousands of rain miles.
In 2009 I kept track of my daily rides on the calendar as to Dry, Rain or Snow. I was just under 12,000 miles of riding in the rain in 2009 alone. For some reason I enjoy riding in the rain. I rode over 100 miles today in rush hour traffic in heavy rain. I just saw the news report that one of the Malls I rode by had the roof collapse because it was raining so hard.

The only thing that concerns me for rain riding is the poor skills of cagers. I would not commute on a bike in an urban area in heavy rain for that reason alone. Not much concerned by pavement conditions- pretty much seen most of what's possible by this time in my life. (And tracks can be treacherous in the wet just like a city street, especially if its just after a big race weekend that had laid some oil, glycol and rubber into the asphalt)

But where I live in NC, traffic is light and I've been known to detour into nearby storms just to cool off. Nothing quite as refreshing on a really hot humid day as a few miles in a cold rain and it only takes a few minutes to dry off while riding afterward. Here on the coast, local afternoon scattered showers ranging from light to frog chokers are normal weather in the summer and easily spotted from a distance- often allowing an easy choice of whether to use them for cooling or to avoid and stay dry. Typically they're heaviest over any forest fire area- apparently the smoke increases drop size or something= but so far no big fires in my area this year though we ha a pair last year that burned for many weeks.

Rain gear of all types is seriously obnoxious when you're already hot and wet from heat and humidity and the 110-120 heat index but probably advisable if the run in the wet is going to last more than 20 or 30 minutes. You can get too chilled from the rain cooling if you ride wet for too long.

I'm back on the horse. Last week was the wettest week of 2012 thus far where I live. Day after day, I ducked serious rain, arriving home moments before a couple of monsoons. Saturday, I decided to go to the bank. 2 miles away. Half helmet and oakleys. No rain gear. I was deluged. It rained so hard I couldn't even see much less worry about getting wet or hitting too large of a puddle. No place to pull off, so I just ground out the 2 miles and sailed into the garage.

I don't keep track of my rides, I keep track of the days I actually take my truck (except for down the street stuff). Since March, I've only commuted on 4 wheels 4 times, the fourth being today.
In 2009 I kept track of my daily rides on the calendar as to Dry, Rain or Snow. I was just under 12,000 miles of riding in the rain in 2009 alone. For some reason I enjoy riding in the rain. I rode over 100 miles today in rush hour traffic in heavy rain. I just saw the news report that one of the Malls I rode by had the roof collapse because it was raining so hard.

I'm back on the horse. Last week was the wettest week of 2012 thus far where I live. Day after day, I ducked serious rain, arriving home moments before a couple of monsoons. Saturday, I decided to go to the bank. 2 miles away. Half helmet and oakleys. No rain gear. I was deluged. It rained so hard I couldn't even see much less worry about getting wet or hitting too large of a puddle. No place to pull off, so I just ground out the 2 miles and sailed into the garage.

Good for you!
I had a very slow high-side in the rain once- it had just begun to drizzle and I was in a city with slick streets. Touched the back brake and the rear end began to come around. Let off the brake and bam. Funnily, this happened right across the street from the HQ of Long Riders Magazine! The guys in the office came running out to pick up my bike and to see if I was OK. Definitely a little humiliated but other than a busted ego, a scrape on my pinky finger, and a broken TS lens, all was well!

I basically got over my rain thing when I went to England in 2008. We rode vintage bikes (BSAs) over 1400 miles, and camped for 18 days. Needless to say, there WAS most definitely plenty of rain!
I realized that you can still have traction in the rain, after watching film clips of racing on the IOM back in the day- when these guys would just fly- wet, dry, or whatever. I put it all down to
A: ability & confidence
B: tires
C: faith in the equipment and in The Man Upstairs

I too ride in almost all weather. On some days it isn't the rain that bothers me so much but the white out of the spray. I then worry about just how invisible I am as well as how I can't really see what's happening far up ahead. I also realize that being invisible I must find a lane of traffic that is flowing at a pace I feel comfortable with. Pavement varies tremendously with the different and intentional mixes they use. Some now are very porous so they is little spray. Others leave a ton of water for the wheels to work through. The main part of my commute is one that holds water up on the surface. Once off the mulitlane slab I have had so many enjoyable rides in the rain. There are additional hazards to content with so you adjust.

I did have a chance recently with CSS where one of the track days was almost entirely in the rain, heavy at times. It was my first time on sport bike so that took some adjustment. It it was running the same tires I usually do so I expected similar road feel. Still there were lots of time when the bike would scoot over a bit with a twitch. Much like running over one stone of gravel. Once the pucker factor was corrected for the ride felt much more comfortable and predictable, even with these twitches. It actually surprised me how much the S1000RR moved around as compared to my far heavier K12RS. Still once I learned the nature of the track when wet and the bike in rain, I could relax, which is what I should I have done to begin with. Then was a chance to work on the drills with some comfort and focus without the wet track being a distraction, just the conditions of the day.

I do have a question. On those white out spray days when traffic begins to slow some my shield gets misty inside as well as outside. This limits my visibility which I am uncomfortable with. I have used the anti fog products and they work well with fog not developing on the shield. However with the misty whiteout stuff, first my shield gets water coated (I play with the chin vent open and shut to find the best setting for the conditions) but then my glasses start to get coated as well. What do yall do when you find you have to ride in these conditions regarding vision?
NCS

When my glasses get wet or fog up, I just throw in the towel , take them off and start looking for a place to hole up.

I try to just open my face shield a hair to let some additional airflow in and thru. I also ALWAYS keep my rear helmet vents open in hopes of keeping some semblance of flow going. My Arai has small vents at the top of the face shield, and of course the chin vents. In heavy rain, I figure that some part of me is taking on at least SOME water no matter what. As long as water is not actively blowing directly onto my face, I open the helmet enough to allow airflow.

I don't recall ever having a problem with my face shield getting too wet to see out of or fogging up to the point of me having to stop a ride, and I've ridden(as I'm sure we all have) in some REALLY heavy rains.

BTW- tho for some who may be commuting, riding superslabs or other major roadways might not be avoidable, but I try to stay off them in major rain situations. Road spray from other vehicles will get you wetter BY FAR, than just riding solo on an open two-lane road without cars or trucks all around. US highways are often a great alternative to U.S. Interstate highways. But now I guess I'm preachin' to the choir! :wave

My gosh, I learned to ride on wet grass (that's the time I got home from my hight school job, around sunset with dew on the ground), albeit with a little Suzuki step-through kind of like a Honda 50. One mistake, and I was standing there with the bike on the ground.

I love riding in the rain. Yes, beware of all possible slick spots, whether painted, or those rubber thingies with the raised "dots". Remember that when starting off, you've got cold tires and that can be precarious. Once the tires warm up, and assuming you've got good tread, then all should be good.

As the BMWMOA resident "Rain Wimp" it was quite disconcerting when I rode into a strong storm on the way home from work last Thursday. I felt sick looking at the shiny paved surface as I steered through the on ramp onto the highway. I will say that, except for the lightning, it was not as bad as I imagined it was going to be. I was fortunate to ride out of the rain about four miles from home. I was on a /5 and the road spray was awful. Without any fairing or windshield I got a full dose of road spray and it is nasty stuff. It is dirty and gritty. I think I would prefer to ride a lonely road in the rain than a well traveled damp road.

I practise many of the rain tactics previously mentioned, including gear that keeps me dry. When riding in the rain, especially in mountains or foothills, there is always a smile under my face shield. Such rides remind me of our three month European honeymoon in '71, where riding in the rain, especially in Scotland and England, seemed to be a common daily occurrence, interspersed between short breaks of sunshine.

Next time you ride in rain and don't fall down, congratulate yourself for not fitting the longest-mileage tires you could find. And for your current tires not being bald.

Another VERY effective way to enjoy riding in the rain is to take the sidecar. Assuming you have one, or course :nyah:laugh:twirl:jester:rofl:beer

I will say that, except for the lightning, it was not as bad as I imagined it was going to be.

:jawdrop I don't do lightning...having worked in it when an electrical lineman and reminded again yesterday at the Pocono NASCAR race...it will get you!
Having had a strike many miles away on a line crossing from that direction about take me off a pole in the sunshine one day got my attention.

And if folks think a motorcycle has the same "protection" from lightning that a car shell does...good luck on that one:brow

We got caught in a lightning storm coming back to the National in Gilette...stopped under an overpass to question our sanity. Waited it out and hoped a strike did not hit the structure. Two of us broke our rule about that one that evening:banghead

I'll ride in hurricane torrential downpours before I will take off in a lightning storm...and have...the hurricane thing that is!

here's what happens!

So I left on my "annual" (almost annual) trip, headed from Chicago to International Falls. I wanted to go thru Galena, where there's some little bit of curvy roads and then up The Great River Road. Again, some curves , and two days to make the easy 700 miles. I knew that despite the summer-long drought, rain was forecast. I could've missed the rain by taking the slab thru Madison or Milwaukee, but thought I might sneak thru and let the rain move East as I turned to go North. Nope. It sat on me for two days. say: "La guerre."

At first as the rain began to fall lightly I was happy that the RT fairing was keeping it mostly off me. i didn't even put on my rain gear under my RevIt mesh suit. At a gas stop I only changed into my yellow glasses for better visibility. Still hoping for a break in the weather. As the rain increased I decided to stop for a coffee and wait for it to pass. Two hours later I thought, "Screw it. Go get your rain gear and ride." So I went thru all nice curves surrounding Galena at a very cautious rate, gave up on camping for the night, headed North to La Crosse, found a motel and dinner.

Next day was cloudy and damp at the start and looked hopeful for a couple hours. About 7:30am it started again, and seriously. But I'm getting bored with the slow pace and gradually, gradually start to "wick it up" as they say. Now the rain's heavier and the traffic more intense, and I'm really just trying to stay out of the truck spray; wide on the two-lane as they approach, and "other" lane on the slab. Letting the SUV's pass and staying wide and out of their spray as they go by. Still no rain gloves or rain boots, and my boots are completely dry, still dusty, and my gloves mostly dry. My triple digit Riderwearhouse gloves are good, but I feel more confident w/o them. Same for my Totes. And I'm 99% dry anyway. And the traffic's all at 70+ mph so I figure I should be 70+ too just for safety, and the next thing you know I've ridden almost all day in the rain, stayed dry, and even had an hour of great riding in the post-rain clean air at the end of the day.

This is what "always" happens to me in the rain. I guess my message is that it's a process. Take it slow, give yourself a chance to get a feel for it, gear up so you're comfy, be smooth, and def not aggressive. Above all keep an eye out for the other traffic, keep a better cushion than your usual, and go with the flow. Whatever it takes for you to feel confident. Lots of breaks under the gas station awnings if you need them or if you see lightning. You meet so many nice riders under the bridges on the freeway and you can share a coffee from your thermos, and have a laff.

A lesson from the MSF Basic Rider Course: When approaching a potentially extra-slick spot such as paint, metal, a puddle, running water, etc., pull in the clutch and let the bike's momentum carry you across the slick area.

DO NOT roll off the throttle while on the slick spot. Engine braking can break traction as easily or more easily than the real brakes - ABS doesn't work on engine braking. Even without rolling on or off the throttle, just the power to the rear wheel that is sustaining your speed is enough to cause you to lose traction on a very slick area. So pull in that clutch and coast until you are past the danger zone.

As mentioned, the road is most treacherous when the rain has just started. But if you are familiar with the area, if you know that it has rained hard in the past week or 10 days, then most likely the oils have already washed away and haven't yet accumulated back for the most part. Still need to be cautious, but just maybe it'll not be that bad.

But I still slow down. But sometimes, if it's a real lengthy downpour and I see that the vehicles ahead are disappearing into a gray mist that's a combination of the heavy rain and the spray the vehicles are kicking up, than I consider myself invisible to others and find a spot to wait out the heavy stuff.

What I don't understand, is why the road departments don't introduce say, a fine sand into the paint mix that they paint the lines and lane turning markers with? Or sprinkle sand onto the still wet paint? I know it may eventually be worn off but at least it will be safe for a while. I know, it'll call for them to buy sand and assign another worker to the paint detail and that costs money. Seems to be worthwhile if it prevents a few crashes, both motorcycle and car crashes, but there I go, bringing common sense into a governmental operation. I'm on the condo board at my other property and we have the painter do that on all the parking space lines and other painted areas. Previously, several people slipped and fell in the parking area, but the fine sand works great and no one has slipped since.

Rode in this morning. Monsoon. Couldn't see through the rain, the dark, the fogging. Got so darned wet that now, 10 hours later, gear is still sopping wet. Frogg Toggs and 5.11 patrol jacket kept me completely dry. Still got in fine.

Back