• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

New York

04GSRDRIa

04GSRDRIa
I am traveling East this fall and am thinking about stopping in New York City. Is there a motorcycle friendly place to stay and keep the bike safe while I take in the city?

NYC is NOT the crime riddled zoo people think it is. I live close enough not to need to stay overnight so I can't help with lodging recommendations per se. I will say to look for a hotel with it's own parking garage and you'll be fine.

grew up around NYC & i'm in NYC just about every day for work or socializing. i second the garage (or even parking lot) recommendation. parking in the street is hazardous as NYC drivers have no qualms about knocking over your bike & taking off. enjoy your visit! :thumb

You might want to think about staying outside the city and taking the train in for day trips. A Hotel like the Crowne Plaza in White Plains is a nice place with underground parking and close enough to the train for commuting. (probably a 20 or 30 minute trip in)

There are motorcycle friendly garages just like everywhere. And check ahead with the hotel you are staying at. They cater to travelers whether car or bike. Take heed of the advice NOT to park your bike on the street. I commute in almost every day to Manhattan and have done so for almost 30 years but thankfully have access to indoor parking at work.

Last Monday morning I was riding in and a buddy of mine pulled up next to me on his Harley. I am easily recognizable when I ride my Ural. Who else has one? We motioned to each other to stop at the 79th Street Boat Basin exit for a smoke and a visit. I noticed from the rear that Tommy had different mirrors and turn-signals on one side of his bike than the other. Funny. When we stopped I asked him why. He said a cab had clipped his bike while parked and it had fallen over. A nearby Doorman was kind enough to pick it back up and put its kickstand, putting the broken mirrors and turn-signals on his seat. That's how he found it when he was done with work.

A couple days later I ran into Tommy walking on the street. "Did you hear what happened to my bike". I reminded him he told me already the other day at the Boat Basin. "No, not that one. This time a cab swerved into my parked bike and ran it over with its back wheel". Same exact spot on a nice neighborhood street. The same friendly doorman put the bike back on its stand again before most of the gas guzzled out of the tank. Poor Tommy.

Mike Wex
r1100rt

Unless money is not a consideration, I'd recommend you stay in New Jersey. The NJ hotels are probably half the price of a NYC location. The bike will be safe and there are very good hotels 10 miles or less away with free parking lots and bus lines and train service to midtown Manhattan. Do an online search of the major hotels or PM or email me and I can give you a few. I'm a retired LEO and P.I. and I do hotel security part time. Just about the only crime here is stolen GPS from autos in the hotel lots. It's a very very safe area.

I heart NY

IDK about bike parking specifically, but lots of people ride daily in Manhattan and find places to park.

And to repeat, New Yorkers are remarkably friendly, helpful and gregarious. They have to be. You might not want to try 5th Ave at evening rush hour, but I've caged in NY and not had any problems at all. Ta;lk to the parking lot attendant. they may not look like people you know, but they're generally friendly. They have to be. It's one of the great cities of the world, and after you're safely parked, it's a great walking city. And the subway works. And it has Broadway, The Statue of Liberty, Central Park, The (free) Staten Island Ferry, Ellis Island, music, The Guggenheim, The Metroploitan Museum of Art.

I live just north of NYC in Northern Westchester Co. You can leave your bike at my house and I will bring you to the train station (5 min away) and will pick you back up when you are done sight seeing. PM me if interested.

Back