• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Advanced Rider's Course

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Annie and I just finished the course an hour ago. It is a great course that focuses on skills and knowledge relevant to our daily riding. You should take it; you will be a better rider no matter what your skill level now. I don't recommend taking it in 95 degree weather, but take it none the less. :thumb

Yup, the ARC is fairly new. It was developed for the military in response to the high number of injuries troops were sustaining after returning from deployments with pockets full of money for new motorcycles.

I teach the ERC and have also taken it as a 'student.' It's essentially the BRC on steroids, but using your personal motorcycle.

It has some value, but the ARC (which I've also taken as a 'student' ) is so much more.

Since it requires a more sophisticated range footprint in terms of painted arcs and painted paths of travel, it's still a bit rare, and not something we can easily offer at a Rally at a moment's notice.

At Sedalia, I would encourage as many of you as can to take the ERC - you should benefit from that experience.

But the ARC is a hoot - like the OP stated - real world skills and fun! :thumb

It has some value, but the ARC (which I've also taken as a 'student' ) is so much more.

It's on my list. Funny that when I started riding in 1969 or 1970, there was no training at all that I knew about. I did have one primer that was pretty darn good, but it was no substitute for a top notch course instructor.

I teach the ERC and have also taken it as a 'student.' It's essentially the BRC on steroids, but using your personal motorcycle.

Since it requires a more sophisticated range footprint in terms of painted arcs and painted paths of travel, it's still a bit rare, and not something we can easily offer at a Rally at a moment's notice.

At Sedalia, I would encourage as many of you as can to take the ERC - you should benefit from that experience.

But the ARC is a hoot - like the OP stated - real world skills and fun! :thumb

Kevin- not sure if you realize it, but we have offered multiple sessions of the ARC-ST at the last 2 nationals,
and that both times, they were taught on sites that did not previosuly have any range at all (high school parking lot in Redmond, and a mall parking lot last year).
we were not able to secure a site at this year's rally.

IMO, The BRC2 (ex-ERC) is a good course for a (slightly) experienced rider, for one who has never taken any type off formal training, or someone who just wans to shake off the cobwebs or have someone observe their riding actions to help them make some adjustments.
The ARC however, is the ****z, and is a totally awesome course, which will push your comfort zone and skill sets to a new level.

Anyone know of an ARC course in Massachusetts yet? Couldn't locate one with a bit of searching. Training wheels online is the dominant MSF course provider here, and so far, they aren't listing ARC.

I'm not in any way trying to be a smartass , just looking for an honest answer.

Like many people here, I've ridden since I was a kid (51 y.o. now). I've owned street bikes since I was 16 and would modestly guess that I have anywhere from 300-500K miles on 2 wheels. I ride my bike to work almost year round.

I've also roadraced with WERA since 1997 on everything from an RD400 to a CBR900RR. Currently running an FZR400 and RZ350. I've attended many racing schools.

So how exactly would I benefit from taking one of these courses? Maybe there is something I'm missing, but I want to think that I pretty much know everything there is to know about 2 wheels.

I can't be the only person that thinks this way, so what can I gain?

Maybe there is something I'm missing, but I want to think that I pretty much know everything there is to know about 2 wheels.

Education is a good thing. Even if you learn nothing (doubtful), it's a great way to spend a day.

Like many people here, I've ridden since I was a kid (51 y.o. now). I've owned street bikes since I was 16 and would modestly guess that I have anywhere from 300-500K miles on 2 wheels. I ride my bike to work almost year round.

I've also roadraced with WERA since 1997 on everything from an RD400 to a CBR900RR. Currently running an FZR400 and RZ350. I've attended many racing schools.

So how exactly would I benefit from taking one of these courses? Maybe there is something I'm missing, but I want to think that I pretty much know everything there is to know about 2 wheels.

I'll tell you this, I didn't start riding until I was 51 (a bit over four years ago.) In that time, I've taken the BRC and the ERC/BRC2 four times. A few weeks ago I took a multiday trip with my boss who has been riding for decades. When we used to ride together, I'll always lead so I could set the pace. This time we swapped since I've ridden so much more than him in recent years that he has trouble keeping up with me. (Full disclosure--I ride an R1200R and he rides and ElectraGlide which accounts for some of the speed difference as well).

Anyhow, he hasn't taken any courses recently. I asked him if he wanted to take the ERC/BRC 2 with me and he said he didn't find it useful. Riding behind him, I could see just how many mistakes he made, particularly at low speed.

Admittedly this is just one anecdote but it makes me think that even experienced riders might gain more than they think. I know I ride year 'round, 20K a year, and I can tell an improvement after the course.

given your particular parameters, you would probably not gain a great deal from this course (altho the classroom portion might be a touch enlightening, maybe not).
however, from what i have seen, you are among a distinct minority of club members who have extensive racing experience.
many riders who "have been riding for 30+ years" really have only ridden one year, repeated 30+ times.
to wit: i've taught ERC courses at the National for years, and have had more than one rider that would not have even been able to earn their M endorsement. god only knows how they even got to the rally site without having or causing a crash.

If that's what you want, sure, why not? I have no interest in racing, personally, but love to watch it.

skills taught on the track translate quite well to street conditions. if you've taken numerous parking lot based courses, maybe a track day would be your next level for improvement.

Back