• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gps

zblue

Looking at installing GPS on my 96 RT. Would appreciate any information on what somebody else has tried, especially mounts.:wave

I originally had a mount (stored, no longer in use) that mounted to the centre of the handlebars. I replaced that with a RCU shelf with a RAM mount. It reduces the need to drop my head/eyes from the road as the GPS sits high, just behind the windshield. :thumb

Here is one suggestion. There will be more I'm sure.

There is a mirror mount hole on the left clutch perch that is a handy spot for mounting a GPS. No muss, no fuss, no drilling... and it's on the clutch side. Safer...

You need:
- a RAM ball with the short bracket Part number RAM-B-252U. Costs about $12.
- a long RAM adjustable arm Part number RAM-B-201U-C. Costs about $16. (I found the short arm would not allow me to see all of my left side rear view mirror)

You will also need a stainless bolt, washer and nylock nut long enough to hold the ball mount in the mirror hole. I think it was a 10mm bolt but measure the hole before you buy just to be sure. The rest should be in your GPS box.

Photos of this setup on my '96 RT here: http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/qq197/Arsegon/MOA Uploads/R1100 RT Ram Mount/

I used a selection of RAM mount parts recommended by a retired law enforcement member here. They worked great. If you can find the thread, it has pictures and part numbers.

Fwiw

my 2000 R1100RT came with an accessory shelf. An aftermarket aluminum(?) plate that mounts above the instrument cluster, and below the windscreen. I drilled four holes in the shelf to match the RAM mount base and have a choice of placing the gps above or below. Seems to me like a bit more weather protection, tho' on the bars might get it closer by a few inches.

Looking at installing GPS on my 96 RT. Would appreciate any information on what somebody else has tried, especially mounts.:wave

RAM Mount ball and arm attached to the handlebar of the RT. One of the handlebar bolts is removed and replaced with a longer bolt with an extension collar.
Parts are here: - RAM parts are found on Amazon and lots of other places too...
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2270/PN-GCR11B/Bolt-Spacer-for-R1100RT-R1150RT-R1200RT
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-GRAB11/RAM-Mount-Adapter-with-11mm-Hole

I also have the RCU shelf which I took off of my RT. It's just sitting around in my garage. PM or email.

Attachments

• RAM Mount.jpg
    RAM Mount.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 119
The previous owner installed this RAM mount

on my '97 R1100RT. You can just see it at the bottom of the picture, between the handlebar risers. I usually just use a flat mapcase instead of a tankbag.

IMG-20120522-00080.jpg

Back