Thread: Powering Garmin Nuvi GPS Unit

Gnomish

Powering Garmin Nuvi GPS Unit

I do have a question for those of you with electrical experience/expertise. I recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1690 with the intent of using it on a tour around Lake Michigan, starting next weekend. I do not have a sudden death wish, and so will be cutting a wide path round Chicago, and will be relying on the Garmin to provide directions. My recently acquired F800ST has two power points: the BMW plug on the right hand below the seat, and an SAE two prong plug power point up by the triple tree that the previous owner added to run his battery trickle charger to. My question is: can I use a SAE two prong to Cigarette lighter plug run off of the Battery charger SAE plug to run the GPS unit? Or do I have to purchase a converter BMW plug to standard cigarette ligher plug to power the GPS off of the BMW power plug point?

Powerlet shows both on their web site. I would prefer to power it off of the SAE plug: less wiring to run up to the handle bar mount that I will be installing for the GPS.

If this has been adressed elsewhere, I would appreciate it if you could provide the thread link, my searches do not seem to turn up any information that is readily useful.

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Mike L

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomish View Post
    I do have a question for those of you with electrical experience/expertise. I recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1690 with the intent of using it on a tour around Lake Michigan, starting next weekend. I do not have a sudden death wish, and so will be cutting a wide path round Chicago, and will be relying on the Garmin to provide directions. My recently acquired F800ST has two power points: the BMW plug on the right hand below the seat, and an SAE two prong plug power point up by the triple tree that the previous owner added to run his battery trickle charger to. My question is: can I use a SAE two prong to Cigarette lighter plug run off of the Battery charger SAE plug to run the GPS unit? Or do I have to purchase a converter BMW plug to standard cigarette ligher plug to power the GPS off of the BMW power plug point?

Powerlet shows both on their web site. I would prefer to power it off of the SAE plug: less wiring to run up to the handle bar mount that I will be installing for the GPS.

If this has been adressed elsewhere, I would appreciate it if you could provide the thread link, my searches do not seem to turn up any information that is readily useful.

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Mike L
    Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. If you have the rubber plug that is usually associated with like a Battery Tender and you are doing a conversion to the female cigarette lighter plug- you should be fine. The only consideration with that is, as it is hot all the time, forgetting to turn the GPS off will, at some point, kill the battery. The up-side to this type of install is that you don't have to wait for a re-boot after a quick stop- like getting gas. If you use the BMW plug it usually will stay "hot" for 2 minutes and then the computer wil shut it off.
    Most of the better power soultions involve a Centec or Fuzeblock with a trigger pick-up from the parking light bulb, same considerations as above.
    Again Welcome, hope this helps. Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I just did a search on the Garmin Nuvi 1690 and it looks like it is a rechargable battery that is charged from a charger powered by 120 AC or a car charger to a mini-USB connector.
    I don't think that you can plug it into a 12 volt DC system with out using the car charger.

Gnomish

Thanks!

Big thanks to both you, I will have to investigate the charging requirments for this particular GPS more completely. I have read on various sites and discussion groups of bike owners successfully adapting auto-specific GPS units for use on a motorcycle. But power and wiring details are often skimpy or unclear.

Again, thanks for your input!

Mike L

Hello Mike

I have done just what you described... i made a jumper that i tied into an after market car cigarette lighter style plug that i bought at the auto store... Then i have a cigarette plug to usb adapter I plug into that... then i switch between charging my Garmin or my phone... the system works good...

I keep it all in my tank bag and have the cord run in and out of the corner...

Let me know if the above didn't make since and i'll try take some pictures or explain better...

Peter
    Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
    Oklahoma Adventure Trail

wiring up a garmin

I just purchased a weatherproof usb port from Cyclenutz, cut the sae conector off of the aligator lead from a battery tender,( i had about 4 of them laying around) made a nice little mount in between the handel bars R1200RT..now i can run my garmiin 1490 or while at the campsite charge my cell phone, and no, it won' run the battery down,,now if you charged the phones of everyone in the campground, might have a problem.

hope this helps

John

sae connector

make sure to get the polarity correct when splicing to run something else.

john

Diann has an F650GS and I installed a mount and power cord for her Nuvi 550.

The power cord I bought had bare wire ends, so I spliced it into the wiring for the auxilary power outlet on the "gas tank" or whatever that cover panel is called.

It allows the GPS to turn on and off with the bike key..........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Quote Originally Posted by flightdog55 View Post
    I just purchased a weatherproof usb port from Cyclenutz, cut the sae conector off of the aligator lead from a battery tender,( i had about 4 of them laying around) made a nice little mount in between the handel bars R1200RT..now i can run my garmiin 1490 or while at the campsite charge my cell phone, and no, it won' run the battery down,,now if you charged the phones of everyone in the campground, might have a problem.

hope this helps

John
    Can you post a pic of this setup? Thanks

usb photos

usb photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

usb

usb

usb

sae connector wired to usb, plugged in to battery tender lead going to battery..pulled out from it's hiding place behind right passenger footpeg for the photo.

Thank you

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flightdog55 View Post
    I just purchased a weatherproof usb port from Cyclenutz........

John
    That small USB connector looks perfect! Going to get one for my wifes bike to charge the ipod.

Thanks!