• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to Me

gnomish

Gnomish
Howdy!

Just a quick introduction: I am Mike L, and am new to BMW's. Had a variety of bikes over the years, starting with a 50cc Sears Puch in 1968. Most recently I acquired a 2008 F800ST this last March. Wonderful machine! Very smooth, very comfy! I am planning on doing some touring with it, as well as commuting to work and the usual weekend ride. I went around Lake Superior last year on a Kawasaki 650 Ninja. The Beemer is proving to be quite the step up.

This year the tour will be around Lake Michigan. My brother (who has a Triumph Tiger) and I will be tyring to hit a number of brew pubs/micro breweries on the way around. Always at the end of the day's ride. I do not drink and ride, having enough problems avoiding SUV's with out adding alcohol to the mix.

I do have a question for those of you with electrical experience/expertise. I recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1690 with the intent of using it to navigate around the southern end of the lake. My brother and I do not have a sudden death wish, and so will be cutting a wide path round Chicago. The BMW has two power points: the BMW plug on the right hand below the seat, and an SAE two plug power point up by the triple tree the the previous owner added to run his battery trickle charger to. My question is: can I use a SAE two prog to Cigarette lighter plug run off of the SAE plug that was installed for the battery charger to run the GPS unit? Or do I have to purchase a BMW plug to standard cigarette ligher plug to power the GPS off of the BMW power plug point?

Thanks! Mike L

Welcome to BMW, Mike. I am sure you will enjoy your new ride.

Can't help you with the electrical issue except to say I have used the cigarette lighter adapter to BMW plug for many years and had no problems.

The ride around Lake Michigan can be very enjoyable. I, too, would avoid metro Chicago. It is easy to do by adding a few extra miles.

Welcome to the forum! You might try posting your question in the Gear forum where a lot of people have asked questions about GPS units and providing power. They should be able to help you.

Welcome Mike:wave
Most of us have a similar story on our bike ownership progression. Enjoy the latest for you!
Take a minute to complete your profile...we are a mostly friendly bunch here and like to know where the heck and who folks are.

You can ask that question over in Gear or in the F-Twin section with your model in the title. Most recent BMW's have an accessory power lead taped to the steering head area. A lead available from the dealer can be plugged in and wired to your power supply of your GPS...but that will be answered over there.

anyways..Welcome again

Back