• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cleaning Black Plastic Below Windshield

VTBeemer

Eschewing Obfuscation
Did my due diligence looking in the archives for cleaning tips for cleaning the black plastic below the windshield - and found none. Just finished a 4500 mile trip from Vermont to Manitoba and back. Estimate I killed 10% of the bugs along the 2 Provinces and 8 States. Cleaned up the 2007 RT and looks good except for that plastic that looks more grey than black. Local Beemer shop suggested 'any tire cleaner product'. Ones I looked at had petroleum or corrosive warnings.
Any suggestions?

Give it a good cleaning with any bike wash product, S100 or the like. Note that these are aggressive detergents containing surfactants and will discolour surfaces if 100% of the residue isn't removed. Rinse thoroughly, then do it again.

I really like Mothers Back to Black as a surface treatment for black bike plastics; it isn't glossy and doesn't leave residue like other products. It leaves a nice matte sheen.

The graying is more likely sun damage, other aging, or the effects of previously used chemicals. The back to black recommendation is likely the thing you need, as you aren't likely to be able to wash off the aging.

Mother's is good stuff; any shop - bike or car - will sell a spray specifically to "re-blacken" plastics. WD-40 and Teflon lube also work.

Thanks very much for the sage advice. Will try the product suggestions. Just did not want to try a product that gives a short term fix, but long term problem.

Last edited:
I once damaged the black plastic on my front wheel fender by accidentally using an abrasive wheel cleaner on the front wheel.

Amazingly, applying a coat of clear walnut oil onto the damaged area completely refurbished the plastic back to factory specs. I hear that peanut oil will do the same.

autogeek_2217_71263790

For years, I've used 303 Aerospace Protectant for all my vehicles' black trim. I also use it for the kayaks and other plastics that benefit from UV protection. It is the UV that is the major contributor to the graying of the black plastic bits.

I also use Griots SpeedShine on top of the 303 if I want a slight bit of a sheen.

HTH,

autogeek_2217_71263790

For years, I've used 303 Aerospace Protectant for all my vehicles' black trim. I also use it for the kayaks and other plastics that benefit from UV protection. It is the UV that is the major contributor to the graying of the black plastic bits.

I also use Griots SpeedShine on top of the 303 if I want a slight bit of a sheen.

HTH,

303 is by far the best stuff for clean/protect black trim IMHO... and what ever you do, DONT use Armorall....

I used to use Silicone Spray also but I think many are now saying not to due to the ill effects of the evaporative suspension (basically the petroleum distillate part) eroding the plastic/rubber..

Appreciate the great suggestions especially the UV protectant option of some products. Mothers' Back to Black was available locally, tried it and it took a few years off the bike. Will explore the other suggestions. Big thanks for all options.

Armor all is in no way harmful to the surface, but it doesn't last long, offers zero UV protection, and may migrate or "wash down" to places you don't want it to be. Back to black lasts longer and stays put better. 303 is where it's at.

+1 for 303 protectant
Purchase at your local marine or rv supply
West marine located through out the country sells gallon size containers, works equally well on plastic and rubber(not tires)

autogeek_2217_71263790

HTH,

I agree, 303 is the best product. Check your local ACE Hardware, they are all independent, but a lot of them carry it.

And this is why I always clean bugs off my plastics with creamy peanut butter.

Peanut oil does work for a while, but does not protect the surface. You can by peanut oil sans the butter. The last time I used it was on the black trim of my old 87 Civic Si. I went inside to take a phone call and when I came out, the dog was licking the bumper rub strip!

CAUTION: Use care with peanut oil when riding in heavily dog-populated areas! :)

A p 303

I use 303 on the nylon wings of my ultralight aircraft, works great, it also looks, feels, smells and tastes just like armor all, it costs 3 times as much.

John

Back