• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW reliability and carrying tools

nytrashman

i was sitting here thinking that if i were to drive my car from NY to FL, a distance of approx 1200 miles, i would not take any tools with me, but if i were to take that same trip on my bike i would of course carry all sorts of tools. why is that when taking a trip on our bikes we feel compelled to take tools with us but in the car we leave our tools at home. is it because we precieve cars to be more reliable then motorcycles? i have logged lots of miles on BMW motorcycles in lots of states and have not had many problems at all, but yet i still carry lots of tools with me. did i just jinx myself by thinking this way and will my next trip result in some type of catastropic failure because i angered the tool gods?

i was sitting here thinking that if i were to drive my car from NY to FL, a distance of approx 1200 miles, i would not take any tools with me, but if i were to take that same trip on my bike i would of course carry all sorts of tools. why is that when taking a trip on our bikes we feel compelled to take tools with us but in the car we leave our tools at home. is it because we precieve cars to be more reliable then motorcycles? i have logged lots of miles on BMW motorcycles in lots of states and have not had many problems at all, but yet i still carry lots of tools with me. did i just jinx myself by thinking this way and will my next trip result in some type of catastropic failure because i angered the tool gods?

The consequences of a failed motorcycle are slightly more serious than that of a broken automobile. As well, the likelihood of falling over on one's bike and requiring tools to patch it up to keep going are also greater.

That said, I carry no more tools than come in the bike's toolkit.

And yes, you have angered the tool gods and can expect retribution at some future date. :laugh

I also carry a number of items thinking of other riders I might help.
But I don't carry too many tools. Certainly not enough to rebuild the whole bike. Nor do I carry many parts. An FPC bypass, and a few BMW screws and bolts. And enough to take off a tire and the fairing.
Some guys carry tons of tools and parts. Good for them, or for whomsoever rides with them.
They fix some fantastic stuff on the road.
dc

For local rides within 100 miles I carry :

Compressor
Tire repair kit
Air guage
extra fuses
zip ties
small bunji cord
jumper cables
spark plugs
assortment of nuts, bolts $ washers
diode board
voltage regulator
BMW Bulb Kit

Last edited:
I think by virtue of the fact that we are and sometime feel more vulnerable on a motorcycle, so to compensate for this we make sure we are prepared for anything that might come up during a ride and be able to fix it and move on.

In a car you can always take shelter and you are safely surrounded in metal and glass. I think it is completely rational.

BMW Reliability and Carrying Tools

I recomend carrying enough tools to R&R either wheel, and to plug and inflate a punctured tire. I personnaly carry more than that, but I'm prolly kidding myself. The only electrical stuff I've had to fix on the road was my heated clothing harness!

In your car, it's easy to find someone who can patch you back up so you can motor on. On the bike, not so much. Motorcycle specific repair shops are harder to find, BMW dealers even more so.

I carry whatever tools I need for the jobs I'm willing to do on the side of the road, no matter the vehicle.

It's meant to keep it portable. Plus you can use the gun and ski mask to get another. See how well this kit works?!

"Cell phone, ski mask, snub nosed revolver, condom, a pint of whiskey and an A.T.M. card. May not be politically correct but these items can get you out of just about any jam."

Cell phone. Ok. Ski mask? What for? Snub nosed revolver. Reminds me of Shakespeare 400 years ago. As You Like It. Orlando is starving and desperate, and pulls his knife on a band of men. "Put away your arms", he is told. "You will receive far more from us with kind words, rather than your arms".
I've found that to be true.
Condom? If the girl appears, or may even possibly have some disease, communicable, venereal, or other, why not just skip the risk.
Pint of whiskey. I'm a bit weird, goofy, off the wall, and a few other things. I don't need help from booze. And it will land you in the Tijuana jail.
ATM card. Ok.

This year I broke down in Mexico, side of the mountain. I got a tow. To a good and adequate hotel near the border. I used my laptop to post. A stranger brought a replacement loaner part to me. I rode home. And did nothing but have a good experience. A handful of strangers helped me along the way.
Insurance even paid for the tow and hotel.

My tools. Cell phone, laptop, ATM card, and fairing tools (Torx kit).
dc

I do carry tools on the bike and some in the cars. But, I would be far more inclined to take the car to a mechanic than the bike(s) because I generally like working on bikes and hate working on cars. Also, a qualified car mechanic is a lot easier to find in West Whiplash than a qualified BMW motorcycle mechanic.

I blew a fan belt once in my truck. Stopped at an auto parts store and bought a belt and a cheap set of wrenches and replaced the belt. Now I carry those wrenches and a few other tools - screwdrivers, pliers, socket set, etc. in the car.

Basic tools, mini-compressor, tire plugger, AMEX card, Cellphone and Sat phone if in the boondocks.

It would be easier to find a replacement belt for a oilhead than find a merchant who would accept AMEX around here. Better carry VISA.

I had trouble last year finding a place that would take Visa in some parts of New Brunswick and Quebec, including Timmy's.

Back