• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suggestions Please - Vancouver, BC to Alberta, to Montana, Washington, to BC

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
Looking for all suggestions and recommendations. Plan to go in early August 2012
10 to 12 days for the trip. No we are not Iron Butt riders. 500 km (365 miles per day) is probably all my buddy can do.

Start Vancouver, BC - travel lower BC to Pincher Creek, Alberta and Waterton Lakes National Park. Enter (Montana) Glacier National Park and Going to the Sun Highway. Travel and view the park.
Come back via USA, Washington, maybe upper Cascades?

Should we through in Yellowstone? Or spend more time in Glacier? Probably only visit Glacier once this lifetime, so how much to see?

Thanks in advance for all your tips!

In August you would be crawling along with the Motor-homes in Yellowstone, don't bother!
Now Oregon and Washington have lots to offer. Wonderful riding!

I can list some points and you can decide. Yes Yellowstone is less restrictive when it comes to RV's, but you can certainly cut through part of it. Certainly worth riding if you've never been.

Big Fork at the top of Flathead Lake just below West Glacier is a great little town to stay and launch from when riding Glacier. Also a very cool lodge with hot spring pools is Quinn's in Paradise, MT just south west of Flathead Lake.

If I could only recommend one stretch of road for your trip it would be Hwy 296 from Cody Wyoming (East if Yellowstone) which runs into Hwy 212 and into Red Lodge,MT.
Personally I think one of the best motorcycle roads in the US. I've always ridden it going north out of Cody, but I'm sure many have ridden both ways in the same day.

Another great road is Hwy 12 ( Lolo Pass) going from Missoula to Lewiston/Clarkston. This runs along a river with tons of sweepers and a real nice rhythm to this road.

From Clarkston going south is Hwy 129 which turns into Hwy 3 in Oregon going to Enterprise. Real nice run and Enterprise is a good place as well.

One more run which can tie into your trip is Hwy 37 out of Eureka,MT heading south along Lake Koocanusa. At the south end going through Libby you can get to Quinn's by Thompson falls. All good riding.

I can list some points and you can decide. Yes Yellowstone is less restrictive when it comes to RV's, but you can certainly cut through part of it. Certainly worth riding if you've never been.

Big Fork at the top of Flathead Lake just below West Glacier is a great little town to stay and launch from when riding Glacier. Also a very cool lodge with hot spring pools is Quinn's in Paradise, MT just south west of Flathead Lake.

If I could only recommend one stretch of road for your trip it would be Hwy 296 from Cody Wyoming (East if Yellowstone) which runs into Hwy 212 and into Red Lodge,MT.
Personally I think one of the best motorcycle roads in the US. I've always ridden it going north out of Cody, but I'm sure many have ridden both ways in the same day.

Another great road is Hwy 12 ( Lolo Pass) going from Missoula to Lewiston/Clarkston. This runs along a river with tons of sweepers and a real nice rhythm to this road.

From Clarkston going south is Hwy 129 which turns into Hwy 3 in Oregon going to Enterprise. Real nice run and Enterprise is a good place as well.

One more run which can tie into your trip is Hwy 37 out of Eureka,MT heading south along Lake Koocanusa. At the south end going through Libby you can get to Quinn's by Thompson falls. All good riding.

Super info, thanks.

What RT said...

Chief Joseph Highway and The Beartooth pass are a not to miss riding experience (it in my back yard so I speak from much experience).

Red Lodge is a great place to come and spend your money...:brad:brad:brad

Back