• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

High Speed Obstacle Avoidance

All great advice guys/gals, so thanks for that. I used to deer hunt so I can understand the unpredictability of the animal. I guess the one thing you can rely on is that you cannot predict or guess with any degree of certainty what a deer or other wild animal will do at any given time.

The great thing about a forum like this with the experience the members bring to the table is that aside from chiding each other and talking about farkles, you might actually share some knowledge that could save a life or two, and that is pretty cool.

I'll add that a horn blast will generally make a lurking deer head right back for the woods. I ride through a stretch where I have sometimes seen as many as seven deer grazing right on the shoulder. In one year I hit 2 that gave me no time to react. (in the cage) .As an experiment I used my horn on theis section of road (no houses) beeping it every five or ten seconds. I didn't see a single deer that day and had seen many the day before and after.

While I try and be as vigilant as possible (riding two up helps with the observation aspect) while mentally imagining situations that I might have some control over, I also resign myself to a bit of 'luck of the draw' attitude. Fast or slow, synchronicity is out there.

Anyway, about those horns: "a few years ago I was riding my /5 through upstate Wisc. at about midnight (...that's another story) when I notice a few really small deer nibbling along the side of the road. Ok, proceed cautiously eh. But what the hell, maybe if I give a little blast with the air horns they might retreat. Nada. Like grasshoppers in heat dozens started flipping back and forth for a few seconds. Now at a full stop, the only sound was the ticking motor and a heart beating the hell out of the inside of my jacket. I'm not convinced that loud horns save lives. Maybe it just give ya hope and you feel a bit more secure/confident. :dunno - Bob

another quick thought: I have a difficult time recognizing a deer and a friend of mine, an avid hunter and trapper, can pick one out immediately. Could some practice in Deer Recognition be helpful in a motorcycle safety course and/or some other delivery venue? - Bob

Some things I do and don't do

I live in Texas Hill Country with a large population of deer. Here are a few things I do to avoid them on the road or to protect myself.

1. I plan my rides so that I do not ride a night. If I am caught out a night I slow down, way down and watch closely. They do run across the road in the daytime but are much easier to see.

2. When I do see a deer cross in front of me, I slow down and look for his friends that I know are close behind. He does have friends either in front or the rear.

3. I wear all the protective clothing available in case I do go down.

4. If I do see deer ahead and have time, I slow down and honk my horn to let them know I coming.

Most of you know a deer is predictable, that is, to be unpredictable. I have never hit a deer but I have been hit by a deer twice; they probably have these same conversations about us.

Riding a bike is just another chance we take in order to do what we like. Taking a few precautions will help but still it just a chance we take.

When I was younger, I remember riding 70 to 80mph at night and seeing deer grazing right beside the road. It always scared me but it didn't slow me down. Only old age and maybe being a little smarter has kept me upright.

Awareness before avoidance is required.

An interesting discussion of skills and their applications but what I find lacking is, with the possible exception of one post, is a discussion of remaining aware to limit the occasions requiring avoidance skills.

When does night begin? Many of you point out that you avoid riding at night. Yet dusk when cars may still not have their headlights on and you feel safe riding in 'daylight' is when many of the deer are moving on their morning commute. You need to be aware of your surroundings at all times.

The danger of night riding or driving is tunnel vision. Riding at night requires more awareness of your surroundings than daytime in my book. Am I riding through woods, near water, open area, straight road or in the turns? Do I have any historical experience riding in the area? What did I learn? What do I need to be looking out for? If I have no experience in the area do I need to increase my caution; ie. Decrease speed etc.

I commute by bike in the Twin Cities and the first ring of suburbs. My daily commute often has me ridding one leg dawn/dusk or in the dark. I see deer, racoons, coyotes, eagles, and all sorts of other critters on the streets and roads I ride almost every ride. From my MSF training I have learned to practice my avoidance skills to keep them fresh. From my years of sport riding I have learned the best way to not need them is awareness of my surroundings and riding with in my limits based on that awareness.

Back