• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW giving away FREE GPS

montauk

You all probably know of this promotion from May till August 30.

I noticed that it only applies to R1200 GS/GSA and R1200RT only. No K, F or S or other bikes, etc. So does that mean that BMW wants to clear out the inventory for the new GS's with water cooled engines. :dunno

I've seen spy pics for GS, but not for RT. But perhaps they may also make water cooled RT's for 2013.

Apple is known to dry up the inventory for newer upcoming models, perhaps BMW is following their suite? :scratch

Or???

Is it possible they have to deplete the inventory of GPS units due to some upcoming change and adding them as a free option on a very popular series like the R would be a way of moving a bunch of GPS units?
Just a thought.

Is it possible they have to deplete the inventory of GPS units due to some upcoming change and adding them as a free option on a very popular series like the R would be a way of moving a bunch of GPS units?
Just a thought.
Highly doubtful -- no new Garmin units have come out, and BMW has used a GPS inventive before to move metal toward the end of the model year (and in the case of the GS and RT, moving out the last of a model generation (new water-cooled GS/RT are coming).

Highly doubtful -- no new Garmin units have come out, and BMW has used a GPS inventive before to move metal toward the end of the model year (and in the case of the GS and RT, moving out the last of a model generation (new water-cooled GS/RT are coming).

The Zumo 350LM has just been released. I heard a rumour it will be the next generation BMW Nav unit.

True that Zumo 350LM is Garmin's new release, but BMW will not necessarily throw away $1000 item (roughly BMW price) for nothing. I feel it's the incentive to clear out the bikes. How come they are not offering on some of the other bikes, and why RT & GS :rolleyes

Free

The GPS is free but the installation is on your $.
Most dealers should only be about an hour or so.

Yes they are trying to make room for the wethead.

Yup, I traded my '10 RT in for an '11 RT. I didn't know about the free Nav system, so that was icing on the cake. Also, the first payment paid by BMW was a surprise, as well.

I paid my deposit and placed my order for my new 2012 GSA on March 4th. The bike arrived at the dealership on May 29th, and I took delivery at 5:30 PM on May 31st.

The following week, BMW announced the promotion. I contacted my salesperson and asked him if I could get in on the promotion. A few days later, he got back to me with the answer of "NO".

If I'd been busy and unable to pick up the bike that evening, I would have had to wait until the following day (June 1st), when I would have been automatically eligible for a free GPS unit.

I've just sent a letter to the dealership's GM, asking them to please find a way to give me the free GPS, considering I waited three months for the bike, and handed over to them $27,000 for the bike.

If I get a GPS, I'll let you know.

I paid my deposit and placed my order for my new 2012 GSA on March 4th. The bike arrived at the dealership on May 29th, and I took delivery at 5:30 PM on May 31st.

The following week, BMW announced the promotion. I contacted my salesperson and asked him if I could get in on the promotion. A few days later, he got back to me with the answer of "NO".

If I'd been busy and unable to pick up the bike that evening, I would have had to wait until the following day (June 1st), when I would have been automatically eligible for a free GPS unit.

I've just sent a letter to the dealership's GM, asking them to please find a way to give me the free GPS, considering I waited three months for the bike, and handed over to them $27,000 for the bike.

If I get a GPS, I'll let you know.

Any news/update on this?

I'm in a similar situation but I'm about 2 weeks out. 1 day is complete BS!

I bought a Dodge a few years back and 3 weeks later there was a $2,500 rebate, I had got nothing when I bought it. I contacted the dealership and they provided me a number at Dodge that dealt with incentives. I told the man what happened then sent a copy of my purchase agreement and they sent me a check for $2,500. I've been looking for something similar from BMW but have found nothing.

Maybe not, but all the accessories I put on my new R1200GS Rallye Ed will be once I sell my free Nav IV... :)

Me too...

I guess you can say that I also missed the offer based on timing. I live in Hawaii and bought from Escondido, CA. Entered into contract on 19 May bike didn't even arrive at dealer until mid June and I didn't take delivery from shipping port until 3 July. Called dealer, BMW NA and dealer again. It appears that the date that matters is when the finance or "deal" paperwork is signed and not when delivery of the bike occurs.

That is unfortunate but in the end, I bought the bike with the first payment free incentive and no knowledge of the GPS. I truly love the bike, best I have owned in my 30+ years of riding. No regrets here.

Any news/update on this?

I'm in a similar situation but I'm about 2 weeks out. 1 day is complete BS!

I bought a Dodge a few years back and 3 weeks later there was a $2,500 rebate, I had got nothing when I bought it. I contacted the dealership and they provided me a number at Dodge that dealt with incentives. I told the man what happened then sent a copy of my purchase agreement and they sent me a check for $2,500. I've been looking for something similar from BMW but have found nothing.

I wrote a letter to the general manager of my local dealership (Ride West) on July 12th and have heard nothing in response.

I'm going to write another letter, this time complaining that my first letter was ignored.

Next time I'm in the market for a new BMW, I'm going to pick a dealership with the most interesting roads between the dealership and my house. If the local dealer can't even reply to my correspondence, they don't deserve my business.

Final reply from my dealership's general manager was "we already gave you a deal when we agreed to install your after-market accessories for free".

That rubbed me the wrong way, because that arrangement was negotiated long before BMW announced the free GPS deal. I paid full price for the bike - I didn't try to nickel and dime the purchase price. I paid full price for all the Touratech goodies they bolted on for me, including the GPS mount they so badly mangled they had to buy a new one for me from Touratech.

They made plenty of money off of me, but now that I've taken delivery of the bike, and they've taken my money, I'm no longer a potential customer, and so they no longer feel the need to extend any good will.

I'll encourage those in the market for a BMW motorcycle to avoid the dealers in Seattle and Tacoma (both owned by the same family), and instead pick a dealership with nice riding between the dealership and home.

I'm also thankful for my independent BMW mechanic, so I can avoid future interactions with this particular stealership.

I get the distinct impression from the Seattle dealership that they're not interested in you unless you're a member of the 1%. Unless I'm buying a new bike from them every year, I just get in their way.

$27K for a GSA? Yikes! Did they gold-plate it for you? For that kind of money, my dealer would have bent over backwards for me (They do anyway, for good customers). Dude, you definitely need to find another dealer!

$27K for a GSA? Yikes! Did they gold-plate it for you? For that kind of money, my dealer would have bent over backwards for me (They do anyway, for good customers). Dude, you definitely need to find another dealer!

Add on a couple pages of goodies from the Touratech catalog and it's easy to crank the GSA's price up to $27K.

they threw this in on my recent GS1200 purchase and installed it for free. a nice freebie on a bike that def wasnt free.

it did take a while to install, like 2.5 hours. they said that they pretty much have to take the front end of the bike off to get it on and wired in securely and i wouldnt suspect them of BS'ing me on it since i wasnt paying for the installation :)

they threw this in on my recent GS1200 purchase and installed it for free. a nice freebie on a bike that def wasnt free.

it did take a while to install, like 2.5 hours. they said that they pretty much have to take the front end of the bike off to get it on and wired in securely and i wouldnt suspect them of BS'ing me on it since i wasnt paying for the installation :)

Which model bike?

Back