• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Realized 2012 R1200RT Camhead Valve Adjustment Intervals

liv2ride

Those of you with a camhead, I am interested in knowing what you have experienced regarding when the valves on your bike required adjustment.

I have read a few posts where after the 6k check/adjust it wasn't needed at the 12k.

Now that the bikes have been around awhile and some have racked up a good bit of miles I am curious what your experience has been.

Thanks in advance.

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055. I'd add that info to the thread title, but it's nowhere to be found. :scratch

The valve adjustment intervals are different depending on the year of the bike (and actually model since some didn't get the new engine for a year..)

Without that info, I'll guess you have the earlier hexhead engine. I usually adjust my valves every 6,000 miles, but it often is just checking - no adjustment needed. Last time I let it go 9,000 miles as an experiment, and found they really didn't need adjusting yet when I did check them (although in my quest for perfection I did tweek them a tiny bit.. all were within spec, but they weren't all exactly the same..)

I would hazard a guess, once the engine has gone through two valve adjustments, it would probably (hedge word..) be safe to go 12k between adjustments, but since it's so simple to check the clearances, if at all concerned, stick to the 6k interval.

I have a 2010 RT with 45,000kms and the valves are still within spec. I check them regulalry becuase it easy, but so far no adjustment required.

2012 R1200RT Valve Adjustment Intervals

deilenberger,

My oversight as I thought the "camheads" were from 2010 forward and had the same service intervals/requirements.

Although I had not placed this information in the subject of this thread it is clearly stated in my public profile. At any rate, if can edit replacing the "camhead" with the year/model I would appreciate it.

I will look into the signature thing as well.

Thank you.

Scot

deilenberger,

My oversight as I thought the "camheads" were from 2010 forward and had the same service intervals/requirements.

Although I had not placed this information in the subject of this thread it is clearly stated in my public profile. At any rate, if can edit replacing the "camhead" with the year/model I would appreciate it.

I will look into the signature thing as well.

Thank you.

Scot
Scot,

Right you are with the camhead designation (my bad..) I added the bike info to the thread title (and left Camhead in..) FWIW - some models such as the R1200R didn't get the new engine until 2011.

Realized 2012 Camhead Valve adjustment Intervals

My 2010 RT had two valves at spec limit in the first 20k. I reshimmed them to midrange because I'm anal. Now at 78k with no more valve adjustments needed.

Scot,

Right you are with the camhead designation (my bad..) I added the bike info to the thread title (and left Camhead in..) FWIW - some models such as the R1200R didn't get the new engine until 2011.

Good point on the R1200R. I didn't realize that although the bike has the same drive train the camhead engine didn't arrive at the same time.

I guess that is similar to the first (rumored) WC boxer being in the '13 GS and not likely to be available in RT trim until the following year.

Thank you for looking out.

Looking good

05Train,

Okay. How out of spec were the valves requiring new shims on the RT? I gather the valves on the GSA were closer to middle of the range otherwise...

tsperez,

At 12K how many were out of spec or otherwise were adjusted?

Are you saying an adjustment wasn't required until 20k and at that only two valves needed new shims? Was this the last adjustment or were there others between 20K and where you're at now?

It is quite clear that the 6k check is strictly precautionary, better safe than sorry. I suspect the frequency of the numerous checks lend to the longevity of these engines.

Thanks to all for sharing their experience.

Aloha.

I'm at work and don't have my maintenance sheets with me, but all eight valves were on the tight side, the three that were out of spec weren't out that much, but they were out. I shuffled other shims around to try to get everything as close to mid-spec as I could.

I just did the 12000 mile after a long hot hard and fast return trip from the RA rally on my RT and all were still within specs. No changes from new so far.

I do my own checks and record on log page..the trend for my '11 has been tight spec to loosening..should be pretty right on with 12000 miles coming up. Probably check TB sync this winter for first time

I believe there are premature changing of bucket shims at first checks..not quite into its time yet..spec is spec.

Realized 2010 Camhead Valve Adjust Intervals

At 20k, they were'nt really out of spec. They were "at the limits" but technicaly in spec. I re-shimmed them to mid range. No other adjustments have been needed and still aren't, at 78k.

Excellent Feedback!

Thanks to all for the responses.

Anyone have a maintenance sheet for recording valve measurements they would like to share? This being my first BMW these checks are far more frequent than any other bike I have owned. Due to that fact I am committed to perform then on my own, along with other reasonable maintenance.

Thanks again. This is truly an invaluable resource.

Aloha.

Date=______ Mileage=______

LEFT SIDE*****************Right side

Intake=.______....................Intake=.______
Intake=.______....................Intake=.______

Exhaust=.______..................Exhaust=.______
Exhaust=.______..................Exhaust=.______

Comments:

:)

Back