• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ilium Highway Pegs, Tupperware Removal '09 R1200RT

jbrooksdavis

I know this has been asked 1,000 times already, so at the risk of offending everyone here we go. I have been researching different highway pegs for my 2009 R1200RT. I think I have settled on the Ilium pegs. Do I really need to remove all the tupperware to install the pegs? Can I remove the lower, silver engine fairing by simply removing the 6 screws or is it a part of main fairing? I've read that some have removed the bottom 3 or 4 screws and simply "shoehorned" the tupperware, but I have seen what that stuff costs and I don't want to break anything. Yes, I have read that removing all the tupperware is some right of passage when owning a BMW, I'd just rather not perform that right at this time. That being said, if I must, I will. I'd rather do it myself than pay a wrench turner $90+ for the honor.

:scratch

P.s.

I have nothing against wrench turners, I've just always prefered to do things myself unless it is absolutely impractical.

:banghead

Tupperware

I was reluctant to remove mine too but took the plunge 1 rainy day. I used a YouTube video from I believe max BMW and had quite the feeling of accomplishment when I finished. Go for it.

I donÔÇÖt think you can get the silver lower body panels off without removing the fuel tank covers, since they are attached to each other , and I donÔÇÖt think you can remove those until youÔÇÖve removed the tank bag mount and side panel. At any rate, you'll find it much easier, faster and safer for your bike to just peal away the body panels. YouÔÇÖll find good instructions on this forum, and also watch the Max BMW youtube video on body panel removal.

FYI IÔÇÖm also going to install the Ilum pegs on my ÔÇÿ09RT but when I called they said theyÔÇÖre on back order.

Bill

Tupperware

Removal and replacement of the tupperware on an R1200RT is not that difficult. If you follow the instructions from the tech article on this site or use the Max BMW video, you will be fine and will marvel at your tech skills afterward. I'm a 90 lb mechanical moron weakling, but felt like a technological giant who will never let my RT kick sand in my face at the beach again after completing this.....go ahead give it a try!

You don't have to remove the body panels to install the Illium pegs. You can loosen the bottoms at the front [the bigger torx] and back and you can carefully slip the mounts in. The real bitch is the right side rear mount. Seems almost nothing fits in the space you have without removing the body panel - but it can be done.

Installing mine took something like a half hour - no BMW tupperwares were removed or died during that time.

it can be done without removing the tupperware but it is likely much more difficult than if you have the free access with the panels off. It really is not difficult at all to remove the tupperware and it only takes about 15 minutes taking your time. Just don't lose any screws.

Thanks gang.

As you call all probably tell, I am new to the BMW community.

ExGman, I printed out those slides and will refer to them when I remove the fairings (excuse me, "tupperware").

wkottd, I ordered mine from http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=123355. They are in stock and if you call them directly, they will probably waive shipping if you ask.

tupperware is the tongue and cheek reference to all of the plastic body components.

Thanks for the tip!
I ordered them online, nobody there today. Good news is their having a secret 4th of July sale; 15% off everything, ends at midnight, so of course I ordered enough to get free shipping!

Bill

I've used A&S a few times. They seem very knowledgable and easy to work with. I could have lived without knowing about the sale as I bought mine a couple days ago. Dammit :doh

I was scared of removing the tupperware, but I bought the Ilium pegs and did it. It was not bad at all. My advice:
1) study the available online documentation for removing the tupperware. Some screws that look awful to get to don't need to be removed.
2) Remove only one side at a time so that when you put it back together you can study the other side to see how it fits back together.

I would recommend removing the entire side rather than a few screws and trying to sneak the Ilium peg bolts in. You want to make sure it is secured well.

You will be fine. :thumb

Thanks everyone. I now have the courage it will take to remove the tupperware. I will consider the act a right of passage. Hopefully, I'll bust only my cherry, not the bike.

Hi JBrookDavis (real name? We're friendly around here..)

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - I'm adding the info to your thread title. Pretty obviously with all the model hexheads, removing the plastic is different across different models, and even different years. Please put that info in the thread title of future posts to the tech forums. Good for you, good for others searching for the same info later.

Welcome to the forum - and as was pointed out - the DIY subforum is a real asset if you're doing any work on your bike.

Best,

Thanks everyone. I now have the courage it will take to remove the tupperware. I will consider the act a right of passage. Hopefully, I'll bust only my cherry, not the bike.

I actually kind of enjoy the experience. I back my Toyota Tundra (with BedRug) up to the bike. Drop the tail gate, and just start pulling pieces off working from left to right, leaving them nicely secure in the back of the truck. If I'm feeling really compulsive, I drop the Torx bolts (and one plastic fastener) into sandwich bags and tape those to the piece from which they came.

Once you've got the left side off, you might want to take a look at the Fuel Pump Controller (located in a bad location...a well in the top of the fuel tank). The old silver-colored controller (you might do a search of FPC) is the bad one and prone to failure...usually during or after heavy rain riding, but randomly any other time. I'm not sure when the newer black model FPC was inserted into the production process. If you've got the silver one, put that on your to-do list...either to get the jumper cable ($25 from BurnsMoto) or buy a spare FPC ($140).

After that, you can look at the various pieces, see about where you'll replace the air cleaner at some point, and generally look for developing problems. A bright sunny day is the best time (although it makes things a little dark when they're in shadow).

Once you do it, I'm sure you'll feel good, not anxious about the next removal process. :thumb

Any retailer worth a damn will give you the adjustment.

Email 'em and ask for it!

I just got off the phone with A&S. I actually ordered my pegs 6/29. Not only did they waive shipping (less than $350) at the initial order, he said he would give me the 15% discount as well and refund the amount to my card. No hassle.

They are my go-to supplier from now on.

Back