Thread: Fuel Strip '07 GSA

Fuel Strip '07 GSA

I just got an estimate to have my fuel strip replaced on my 2007 GS Adventure from an authorized BMW dealer.

The estimate is almost $300.....does this sound right?

Even when I bought the bike, the brand new fuel strip was not all that accurate.

Is there a way to turn off all the features of the onboard computer, including the fuel gauge? Has anyone done this?

The only function of the dash that is useful is the temperature and the time, but I could live w/o those.

There is another thread here

It's titled "RT" but - to the best of my knowledge - the failure mechanism, and the "cure" are very similar. I seem to recall a $300 +/- number in that thread or a similar one on one of the other BMW M/C boards.

I'm a recent inductee into the "Fuel Strip Club" myself. Haven't decided (yet) to throw down the $$ to get it replaced.

Best wisheswith this!
    Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

'79 R65 - the rolling running project bike
    '08 R12RT - "new scoot"

There is a bright spot in the fuel strip cloud..

At least when you get it replaced there is a 2 year parts/labor warranty on the new one. I'm heading in for my 4th on Saturday, haven't paid for one yet...
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

I've done some searching and it appears as if almost everyone has had this problem.

Any suggestions other than spending 3 bills on something that is likely to happen again.

I'm still hoping to disconnect onboard computer...but don't know if this is possible.

I'll second what Dale says. If you pony up this one time there is a very good chance you will never have to pay for another one. I am on my third one on a 2009 bike and haven't paid yet.
    2009 R1200GS

My'07 GSA is on #3 strip. I bought the 7 year plan, so 3 more years coverage. I bought it in '08, a leftover. Yes, the 2 year thing exists still at dealers. Why disconnect it, just leave it be. The odometer/trip meters still work. Temp still works. You've lost remaining miles on tank and fuel level only. Good luck, Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    The odometer/trip meters still work. Temp still works. You've lost remaining miles on tank and fuel level only. Good luck, Randy
    I guess I meant, I wish I could get rid of the fault code from flashing, even though the fuel strip isn't working.

I was reading on ADV rider about some guys who created a special circuit to stop the fault code and make the bike believe there is always a full tank.

I'm curious if anyone has heard of this......

911;

Find somebody with a 911code reader, youre in like flynn. They are sold for around 300$. I do not have one, but many do and perhaps many even carry'em on their bikes, as they are small. These will eliminate the code/service data on your screen. Mine does the same thing, but never stays on more than a few minutes, service reminder and only on ocassion, not too frequently. Good luck,Randy