• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

thoughts on BMW Santiago boots..

K1600_gtl

Ok, so I get $500 to spend on BMW safety gear with my new bike, and I already have a nice BMW jacket/pants and a nice Arai helmet... so I can use a new set of gloves and boots... I figured I'd get the Sport 2 gloves since I need good protection and year around wearability.... but I'm not sure about the boots... the budget allows for the Santiago's but will I find them very cumbersome and uncomfortable to wear out and around town? How about in warm to hot weather? 80-85 degrees?

anyone with experience with these?

Yeah, I've got a pair. They are nice boots IMO. First thing to do is to remove the tin toe shield as it will, at first, scratch everything they bump into. When the tin gets worn then it slices everything the bump into.
Like most of the boots, if you are going wandering all day on foot, it would be good to have another pair of shoes with you. If it's just wandering around at an open house or such- I've had no problem wearing them for a day. Other than the metal toe shield...great boots. Good luck. OM

Is the new bike you're referring to the R1200R? If so you may not need the Santiago's heavy-duty sole, metal toe pieces, and plastic protective pieces - all of which make the Santiago a good dual-sport boot but a little heavy and thick for street, IMO. Have you checked out the BMW Pro Touring boot? It's as tall as the Santiago but more comfortable for street/touring riding and all day wear, IMO again.

BMW Boots

As other posters have said, the Santiago boots are more for off road riding.

I ride a R1200R and I wear the BMW Allaround boot when touring. They have the protection and waterproof feature you need for a touring boot and are comfortable to walk around in.

I also have a pair of waterproof, TCX Jupiter 2 boots (low cut) that I wear for around town rides. These are almost as comfortable as running shoes and are very good to walk around off the bike.

Most boots, other than the air flowing types will be a little hot on the feet in warm temperatures, but the downside of these air flowing boots is that they are not waterproof.

Bill

As other posters have said, the Santiago boots are more for off road riding.

I ride a R1200R and I wear the BMW Allaround boot when touring. They have the protection and waterproof feature you need for a touring boot and are comfortable to walk around in.

I also have a pair of waterproof, TCX Jupiter 2 boots (low cut) that I wear for around town rides. These are almost as comfortable as running shoes and are very good to walk around off the bike.

Most boots, other than the air flowing types will be a little hot on the feet in warm temperatures, but the downside of these air flowing boots is that they are not waterproof.

Bill

Great suggestion here - I have the Santiago and work well for the GS, weather proof definately and as Omega-Man says the toe cap does scratch things well (DAMHIK!!)

Since it looks like you ride an R the All Around is probably a better choice

So the protection on the touring boots is identical to the santiago, only just a different sole? Also, when you all say scratching things, you mean the bike? :scratch

............when you all say scratching things, you mean the bike? :scratch
The bike, the dog, your neighbors fence, the car you had two cars ago and anything you bump on the bike you normally hit swinging a leg over. :D The toe caps come right off and for most riding- just a fashion statement. After you remove them you can go about your riding as usual.

I have owned 2 pairs at different times of my riding career. I find them hot, big and bulky. I sold both pairs. That said, they are more for off road riding as they have excellent protection. I have not owned a pair that is better than that. It is too much boot for my need.... :D

Have had a pair of Santiagos for almost a year and great boots IMO. Given the style they are surprisingly comfortable to walk in though (like most boots) a good innersole improves them. Comes down to your preference: I like sturdy boots for most any activity other than running a marathon and these work great on the bike or casual use. If you prefer lightweight footgear they aren't the choice!

Have had a pair of Santiagos for almost a year and great boots IMO. Given the style they are surprisingly comfortable to walk in though (like most boots) a good innersole improves them. Comes down to your preference: I like sturdy boots for most any activity other than running a marathon and these work great on the bike or casual use. If you prefer lightweight footgear they aren't the choice!

looking for the best safety to weight ratio... I'll get them, and try them on and see if they're for me.

I originally got my Santiagos for use on my GS, but later replaced them with the more robust protection of a pair of Sidi Adventure GoreTex boots. The Santiagos are now my street boots for use on the GT. I find them perfect in that role, at least for our climate which is a lot cooler and wetter than that of many of the southern folks. I removed the metal toe caps almost immediately after getting them. Aside from the obvious scratching issue, I found they made my feet slip too easily on the garage floor when trying to push the bike. One near drop and they were removed.

I have my Santiagos on right now. I put them on in the morning and wear them all day on days I ride one of the bikes to the office. The metal caps will scratch things easily. Also, if your height impaired, as I am, (5'6), when putting your foot down when stopping your bike, you must make sure the toe of the shoe is not the first part of your shoe that hits the pavement as it does not have the traction of the rubber sole. So your foot may slip a bit.

I love my boots and have worn them in just about every kind of weather, hot or cold. And their tough. I hit black ice on the interstate a couple of years ago and went sliding down the road with the GSA resting on my left boot (controlled slide). The buckles got ground a bit but that was it. No damage to me.

So whether it's below zero, or around 100 degrees as it is right now here, I'm comfortable all day in them. But then again, I also wear Darian Pants (wear them all day too) and jacket year round regardless of temps. So you might want to take my opinion with a grain or two of salt.

Back